Boots (again!)

For your first year - you're a ROOKIE!! You are new to the job and will have plenty of questions that need answering - despite your 3 weeks intensive training. Ask your questions HERE! ANYTHING, no subject is too small, no query is too silly - THIS is why this section is here!! So ask away, somebody will know :-)

Moderator: national-PCSOs

Boots (again!)

Postby Sp3ctre » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:46 am

Morning all!

I know that anyone who's been here a while will be thinking "how many days has it been since someone else asked about boots?", but I'm about to start my training and so I'm going to have to ask you too, please :slsa: .

What do people think about Alt Berg? or any other boots for that matter?

I've been looking at getting the Alt Berg Tabbing Boot, because they're fairly low leg compared to the rest, they're very lightweight, seemed very comfy when I tried them, and they're not waterproof lined...
Obviously I'm taking into consideration the fact I'll be wearing them all day, every day, rain or shine...
Now they're full leather, so they're waterproof when polished (or rain proof at least...), and the reason I'm steering away from a gore-tex type lining is because surely in summer these will have my feet sweating and falling to bits?

I'd go LOWA, or Pro XT 2, but I've had a pair of LOWA before and they had to go back they were that uncomfortable :slwo:

Any help would be appreciated, both positive and negative feedback. I've no problem paying the £140 they're asking, if it means my feet are happy! But if there's another boot I should be considering, let me know please!

Thanks a lot in advance :)
Sp3ctre

Re: Boots (again!)

Postby Marlon » Sun May 12, 2013 8:57 pm

I haven't ever tried Lowa, but have been told they're usually pretty good.

I get issued with Magnums. They're okay for summer use IME. I've only ever worn Classics and find that they wear quickly. I wouldn't spend my own money on them.

I wear a pair of Altberg P3 boots during the winter, which I bought myself. I'm happy with them, for what I use them for. If you're local to Richmond (in North Yorkshire), Altberg used to offer a discount from the factory shop to police/armed forces ID holders, though it is some years since I bought my last pair. I've no idea if stockists can pass on the same discount or not.
Marlon
Elite Member
Elite Member

Member No: 2035
Style: prosilver

Postby ruben » Sun May 12, 2013 9:05 pm

These are the boots that i have just ordered, and still waiting on delivery.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/British-Army- ... true&rt=nc

It will be second pair that i have owned; im still currently using my first pair after 5 years! They are extremely warm during the winter and regulate the heat during the summer. IMO they are very similar to Altberg's after trying both sets of boots, although these are a fraction of the price as they are ex army issue.

If you fancy a pair click on the sellers link to their shop, they have lots of pairs for sale.

Ive tried original swat and magnums etc...but in all honestly they are absolutely crap, unless you are walking through a shopping centre or up and down a high street all day. Invest in a good pair :-)

*EDIT* In relation to the comment regarding gore-tex, i wear my gore tex boots all year round and i dont get sweaty feet.
Constable of 6 years, previously PCSO 18 months
ruben
Navigator
Navigator

Member No: 3424

Postby Bert Moffat » Mon May 13, 2013 3:22 pm

I've had my faithfull Nike ACG Tactical boots for 14 years and they are still going strong:
Bert Moffat
Elite Member
Elite Member

Member No: 575
Style: Aero

Postby Arthur ASCII » Tue May 14, 2013 1:24 pm

There are a plethora of different makes and types of boot out there, and what suits one person might not suit another. Make sure you have them fitted properly by a trained assistant and get the best you can afford - that way you can get them re-soled as required.

I still wear a pair of US Marine parachute boots that I bought when I was in the RAF 30 years ago. Wearing them is like pulling on a pair of slippers.
UNISON - Fighting your corner. Join us HERE
ImageImageImageImage
Arthur ASCII
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Member No: 3701
Style: subsilver2

Postby Sp3ctre » Sun May 19, 2013 5:19 pm

All - Many thanks for your replies! I really appreciate the assistance.

I've now purchased a pair of Peacekeeper P1 Aqua's from Alt-Berg, and they're cracking! Really comfy and really sturdy!

They offered a police discount (I don't think this is advertised, but it was certainly well received!)

They'll certainly be well looked after, and they're now like mirrors in that I can see my face in the polish! :slhi:

Thanks again :)
Sp3ctre

Postby mj12cz » Tue May 28, 2013 10:40 am

Altbergs are expensive if I recall. Not heard of any of the others. For the last 10 years I have been using Magnums, yes I know many people dont like them but for me they are comfy and do a fine job. The last pair i got new off ebay for £25 and they lasting longer then my mates £170 tactical boots thet can tell you the time in japan in french!
"Its a mother beautiful bridge and its going to be there"

Save the cheer leader, save the world.....

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell
mj12cz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Member No: 1344

Postby averagejoe90 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:03 am

We get issued magnum boots, but unfortunately they tend to last about a year then need replacing. I will be looking to buy my own shortly!
Views and Opinions are those of my own.
averagejoe90
Committee Member
Committee Member

Sacred: 'Dragoon'

Postby the dark lord » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:56 pm

mj12cz wrote:Altbergs are expensive if I recall. Not heard of any of the others. For the last 10 years I have been using Magnums, yes I know many people dont like them but for me they are comfy and do a fine job. The last pair i got new off ebay for £25 and they lasting longer then my mates £170 tactical boots thet can tell you the time in japan in french!

Altbergs are expensive outright but you can get 10% police discount and 7.5% web discount.

They also do VAT Free work boots, if you get extra wide fitting they dont have a steel toe - if that is an issue for you.

Like anything else they are more costly, but better value in that if you look after them, you only by them once. I paid just over £100 for my first altbergs i've had them nearly 5years hand have just this year retired them to summer boots/home boots as they need resoling and are looking a bit tatty - but mainly because they are so comfy I like wearing them at home :-) In that time my colleague has has had 3 or 4 pairs of £40-60 boots.

I have replaced my P1 Aquas with P3 Aquas (because of price) and despite what it says on the website they made them in extra wide to accommodate my hooves!

I keep wanting to get these for taking the dog out - http://www.altberg.co.uk/product/field- ... l-original

The secret to keeping them tip top seems to be regular waxing - i try and add a bit everytime i take them off, but realistically it tends to be after every set of shifts unless it has been wet.
the dark lord
Committee Member
Committee Member

Postby powdermonkey » Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:47 am

I went though two pairs of Magnums, at £80 a pair, in one year. They can't be resoled so once they're worn down they have to be replaced. I don't think they're robust enough for the amount of walking we do, especially as most of it is on hard surfaces such as tarmac. My advice to Magnum would be to stick to making ice creams.

I paid £140 for a pair of Lowas last October and they now need resoling. Altberg will resole Lowas for £45 & it takes 4 - 6 weeks, they tell me. I like the boots, they're very comfortable if somewhat heavy (at least the Magnums were light) and took a week or two to break in. I'm sort of stuck with them, having paid so much in the first place. They get a good coating of conditioning cream once a month and are cleaned and polished at the end of every set of shifts.

Adidas make footwear for police & military which look good - black leather/synthetic uppers, waterproof etc and light weight : about half that of Lowas etc. Unfortunately they don't seem available in the UK, just USA. They cost the equivalent of £90 and I suppose there's the cost of p & p. That's if they meet the requirements specified by your force. Mine states must be black and polish-able and no steel toe caps.

With hindsight, I wouldn't recommend anyone buying Lowas, Altbergs or Magnums but to buy a cheap pair of boots at about £30 (no more) and chuck them away when worn out. Once PCSO I know doesn't wear boots at all, but bought himself a nice comfy pair of Clarke's shoes.
I have seen the truth and it makes no sense.
powdermonkey
Executive Member
Executive Member

Style: Absolution

• Threads Bundle on national-PCSOs

Return to Rookie PCSO