PCSO Cyclists

Police equipment and gear in here please!

PCSO Cyclists

Postby Roadie » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:16 pm

I'd like to get views on PCSOs that use cycles to patrol and what kit your force has issued.

Have you had to buy some kit yourself and if so what is it and is it any good?
Roadie
Rookie Member

Style: subsilver2

Re: PCSO Cyclists

Postby mj12cz » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:22 pm

I got a helmet, gloves and a bike thats all....

And all that to cover 225 sq miles! :slbl2:
"Its a mother beautiful bridge and its going to be there"

Save the cheer leader, save the world.....

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell
mj12cz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Member No: 1344
Style: prosilver

Postby Dirrty » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:59 pm

Helmet, poor quality safety glasses and a shared bike, some officers got given some fancy high viz tac vests to carry kit in but not all, only the "favourites" got the vest, I would have thought for uniform purposes we should all be issued the same kit but alas that's not always the case....
Dirrty
Executive Member
Executive Member

Postby BigBoots » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:09 am

Helmet
Glasses
Cycle Jacket
Summer Gloves
Winter Gloves
BigBoots
Official Member
Official Member

Style: Aero

Postby maximart » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:00 am

Smith & Wesson Police liveried mountain bike.
Bell cycle helmet.
Cycling trousers & gloves.

All kindly sponsored by the parish council and various businesses on my old beat. My remaining colleauge doesn't cycle (or walk much come to that !!! ) so they kindly allowed me to take the bike and equipment with me to my new beat :)
maximart
Executive Member
Executive Member

Postby RINGER » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:59 pm

A bike.
A helmet.

That's it, unless you count the lights and lock?
AMBO All looks Q... We really needed here?
ME Well he's been clumped so hard his eyeball's turned purple, and that guy's been shot in the face... What do you reckon?
RINGER
Registered Member
Registered Member

Style: Aero

Postby Arthur ASCII » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:07 am

Is no-one issued with bicycle clips?

Outrageous! What are your Health and Safety Reps doing?

UNISON - Fighting your corner. Join us HERE
ImageImageImageImage
Arthur ASCII
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Member No: 3701

Postby geordiepaul2005 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:30 pm

I have a bike, helmet, cycle jacket, cycle shoes and lights - no lock.
I did have to purchase my own cycle gloves.

The annoying thing for me is that in the hot weather we still have wear stab vest and hi-vis - high vis stab vest covers cost too much money.

Paul
I'm running the Great North Run 2011 to raise money and awareness for the Make-A-Wish foundation who sent my little girl on the holiday of a lifetime to Disney World in December 2010.
Please sponsor me at http://www.justgiving.com/paulmawson - thank you
geordiepaul2005
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Member No: 1970

Postby averagejoe90 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:23 am

Helmet
Glasses
Cycle Jacket
Bike D Lock
Gloves
H&S Training

I cycle my beat almost every day until the sun goes down and we have to crew up. Countless occasions I’ve been caught out doing jobs and had to walk back to the station or call my colleague up! Can’t beat it, love every second.
Views and Opinions are those of my own.
averagejoe90
Committee Member
Committee Member

Sacred: 'Dragoon'

Postby Gualsa » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:05 pm

averagejoe90 wrote:Helmet
Glasses
Cycle Jacket
Bike D Lock
Gloves
H&S Training

I cycle my beat almost every day until the sun goes down and we have to crew up. Countless occasions I’ve been caught out doing jobs and had to walk back to the station or call my colleague up! Can’t beat it, love every second.

What do you do on hot days? Do you have a lightweight jacket or a short sleeved top? Do you have to wear your stab vest? Did you have to do a cycle proficiency test?

We just get isued helmet and cycling clips. No one wants to cycle as we have to wear this hideous long sleeved garment that looks so cheap its unreal. I am still waiting for for my proficiency test so I can go out. I am tempted to just forget wearing the high vis but if I am involved in an RTC and cant work I am sure they wont pay a dime out for me.
Gualsa
Elite Member
Elite Member

Member No: 2520

Postby dingdangdo » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:15 pm

We do two-day course and get decent kit, but still have to wear our stabbies with a lightweight fluro on top. Although the new stabbies are lighter and easier to move in.
dingdangdo
Banned Member

Member No: 792

Postby Roadie » Thu May 03, 2012 3:01 pm

Thanks for all the responses.

I have a Smith & Wesson Precinct that has the usual Police markings. We also got Bell 'PCSO' and 'Police' marked helmets.

My local YMCA bought me a D lock and a toolkit. I approached my local councillors and got funding for 3 pairs of Endura Singletrack trousers. These are excellent cycle specific trousers and are very comfortable for a long shift in the saddle. When I ordered the trousers I was sent the Endura Emergency Services catalogue. They have a considerable range of cycle clothing specific for the Emergency Services. I have since bought myself some gloves and waterproof trousers as these weren't supplied by the Force. If anyone wants the contact details for the Emergency Services Manager you can send me a message. If your buying with your own money he will give a discount on items.

We have to cycle with hi-vis body armour worn but it's not too uncomfortable. I would always want to be wearing hi-vis at it makes you more noticeable on the road. We are lucky to have blue polo shirts (supplied by Endura) that are quite effective in wicking up the moisture. I got myself some adidas Flint boots that are much easier to cycle in than my Alt Bergs. I am also looking to buy a tac-vest as a utility belt is uncomfortable on the bike. Unfortunately my Force won't supply these to PCSOs.

We don't have to complete a cycle test but we do have to complete a H&S certificate that is signed off by the Sgt. I suppose it's a quick 'ass covering' exercise.

I love having the bike; it makes you really visible and you can cover more ground than if you were on foot.
Roadie
Rookie Member

Postby averagejoe90 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:19 pm

Gualsa wrote:
averagejoe90 wrote:Helmet
Glasses
Cycle Jacket
Bike D Lock
Gloves
H&S Training

What do you do on hot days? Do you have a lightweight jacket or a short sleeved top? Do you have to wear your stab vest? Did you have to do a cycle proficiency test?

We just get isued helmet and cycling clips. No one wants to cycle as we have to wear this hideous long sleeved garment that looks so cheap its unreal. I am still waiting for for my proficiency test so I can go out. I am tempted to just forget wearing the high vis but if I am involved in an RTC and cant work I am sure they wont pay a dime out for me.

It’s a Hi Vis cycle jacket which is actually really good quality, almost all of our team ask to have one even though they never go out on bike. Hot days we wear just our shirt and yellow thin tabard which actually keeps us cool. We wear our stabby for the only reason that we regularly run across random dangerous jobs. And no we don’t do a cycle proficiency test. :/
Views and Opinions are those of my own.
averagejoe90
Committee Member
Committee Member

Sacred: 'Dragoon'

Postby snakeywakey » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:56 pm

We used to get 2 hr bikability training, helmet, glasses, light weight w/proof jacket, gloves, cycle pants, lock and lights. Not due to cuts we get a helmet, gloves and glasses. Which is right really. We all share bikes but have our usual favorites that we stick to.
Originally its only been me that cycled with any degree of frequency (purely because I hate walking) but recently more have done their bikeability and are going to be going on patrol...
I'm not keen but like I say, beats walking and keeps me fit...
snakeywakey
Executive Member
Executive Member

Member No: 6203

Postby Memnoch » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:38 am

Smith & Wesson personal issue livered bike with pannier, cycle computer, D-lock with wire etc, Exposure lights (bloody expensive).
Magnum Boots.
Cycle Trousers that can unzip in summer to shorts (I always scare the public by showing off my leg skin).
Cycle pants (padded ones so I dont hurt me bum).
Flourescent shirts (New PCSO's dont get these for some reason).
Cycle carriage Vest.
Cycle sports jacket.
Glasses with 3 types of lens.
A weird cycling head cover/beanie hat type thing (only wear this in winter).
Specialized helmet (fits over the hat).
Cycle radio attachment and noise reducing earpiece (so I can still her the radio in the wind).
Memnoch
Registered Member
Registered Member

Member No: 391

• Threads Bundle on national-PCSOs

Return to Stores