Metvest Bloody Heavy

For your first year - you're a ROOKIE!! You are new to the job and will have plenty of questions that need answering - despite your 3 weeks intensive training. Ask your questions HERE! ANYTHING, no subject is too small, no query is too silly

Moderator: national-PCSOs

lookalikecop
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Metvest Bloody Heavy

Post by lookalikecop » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:30 pm

Most call it a stabby but training staff dont like that word so just plain old body armor but then again its a stab vest not armor as it wont stop bullits or rounds if your ex army.
Fully Trained On the Beat Fighting Crime

typecastboy
Gold Elite Legion
Gold Elite Legion
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by typecastboy » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:59 pm

It does stop bullets, or rounds as you like to call them. It will stop a 9mm, .357 Magnum and everything inbetween, and even some shotguns, although they say you may get some blunt trauma wounds from shotguns. Not a replacement for proper ballistic body armour, buty it will stop them.
Nov 2008 - Day 2 Fitness/Medical - Passed
Jan 2009 - Start Training in Sidcup
Mar 2009 - On Borough

SINGLE PATROL IS THE WAY FORWARD

Big-Si
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Big-Si » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:20 pm

The standard level protection we had was:
HG1A - 9mm 3.57mag
Kr1 - Knife Protection
Sp1 - Ice Pick & Needle
Ex PCSO

multidropper
Official Member
Official Member
Class: 'Crimson Warrior'
Alignment: 'Lightning'
Sacred: 'Ranger'

Post by multidropper » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:38 am

typecastboy wrote:
multidropper wrote:The one I wore as a PCSO was damn heavy too, so much so in fact it ended up giving me serious backache.

As already mentioned though, you will sweat heavily in the summer months (if we have a summer!) to the point where you could literally wring the sweat out of your shirt!

Wearing that body armour is one of the many things I honestly don't miss since I left the job.

So Multidropper, what made you quit, apart from sweating your J Arthurs off of course?
I grew to hate the job mate, plain and simple. I did an article at the request of Falkor some time ago now (take a look at all the articles page, my username was paul261267 then) all the basic info is on there.

I honestly don't miss the job, never have and I can truthfully say that I never will. I'm much happier now driving my lorry up and down the motorway, no hassle, no targets to meet, and more importantly no numbers games to play!
Started at SYP as a PCSO in January 2004

Resigned in September 2006

Now working as a class 1 HGV driver.

typecastboy
Gold Elite Legion
Gold Elite Legion

Post by typecastboy » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:22 pm

multidropper wrote:
typecastboy wrote:
multidropper wrote:The one I wore as a PCSO was damn heavy too, so much so in fact it ended up giving me serious backache.

As already mentioned though, you will sweat heavily in the summer months (if we have a summer!) to the point where you could literally wring the sweat out of your shirt!

Wearing that body armour is one of the many things I honestly don't miss since I left the job.

So Multidropper, what made you quit, apart from sweating your J Arthurs off of course?
I grew to hate the job mate, plain and simple. I did an article at the request of Falkor some time ago now (take a look at all the articles page, my username was paul261267 then) all the basic info is on there.

I honestly don't miss the job, never have and I can truthfully say that I never will. I'm much happier now driving my lorry up and down the motorway, no hassle, no targets to meet, and more importantly no numbers games to play!
You must miss it a bit, you still come onto the forum! I will check out your article, it will no doubt make an interesting read
Mar 2009 - On Borough

Cushty
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Cushty » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:34 am

I have to say I tried on my vest and didnt find it heavy at all. My classmate felt the same and asked the fitter whether this was just a lightweight vest just to get our size. The guy just said thats the actual vest, nothing else will be added. I am dreading the summer months, although I am looking forward to workin outside in the hot weather (hopefully)

Andrew B
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Andrew B » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:33 pm

Its awful in summer.
Ex Met PCSO
PC Day 1 Passed 06Sep
PC Day 2 24th February

Current Met PC

multidropper
Official Member
Official Member
Class: 'Crimson Warrior'
Alignment: 'Lightning'
Sacred: 'Ranger'

Post by multidropper » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:54 pm

typecastboy wrote:
You must miss it a bit, you still come onto the forum! I will check out your article, it will no doubt make an interesting read

Nope, I don't miss it at all. I come on here only to offer my opinion on subjects that interest me. I wouldn't go back into the job for anything. Too much hassle in my opinion...and too many coppers all too willing to use you (PCSO's) as a stepping stone to higher plains.

Still, it's a good job, but could be a hell of a lot better.
Started at SYP as a PCSO in January 2004

Resigned in September 2006

Now working as a class 1 HGV driver.

oli
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by oli » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:34 pm

typecastboy wrote:It does stop bullets, or rounds as you like to call them. It will stop a 9mm, .357 Magnum and everything inbetween, and even some shotguns, although they say you may get some blunt trauma wounds from shotguns. Not a replacement for proper ballistic body armour, buty it will stop them.

Yes It does but if its anything like the Lancs vest thats a 60mm penetration at close range for 9mm bullets so it will push the vest into you 60mm before stopping unlike the metal plate fitments that ARV and the army have that stop at 5-10mm

typecastboy
Gold Elite Legion
Gold Elite Legion

Post by typecastboy » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:10 pm

oli wrote:
typecastboy wrote:It does stop bullets, or rounds as you like to call them. It will stop a 9mm, .357 Magnum and everything inbetween, and even some shotguns, although they say you may get some blunt trauma wounds from shotguns. Not a replacement for proper ballistic body armour, buty it will stop them.

Yes It does but if its anything like the Lancs vest thats a 60mm penetration at close range for 9mm bullets so it will push the vest into you 60mm before stopping unlike the metal plate fitments that ARV and the army have that stop at 5-10mm
Let's hope none of us have to find out. It only mentions blunt trauma if it's a shotgun at close range. It's the second generation Metvest which I assume we've all got now?
Mar 2009 - On Borough

jonny121
Committee Member
Committee Member
Examiner: XIII

Post by jonny121 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:52 pm

I don't why you guys are worrying so much about ballistics protection of your vest, if someone decides to point a gun at me I DEFINITELY won't be testing my vest out!!! I will do whatever the person says!
PCSO Nov 2007 - Feb 2010
PC Feb 2010...

typecastboy
Gold Elite Legion
Gold Elite Legion

Post by typecastboy » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:03 am

jonny121 wrote:I don't why you guys are worrying so much about ballistics protection of your vest, if someone decides to point a gun at me I DEFINITELY won't be testing my vest out!!! I will do whatever the person says!
Me too, but then some people would love to shoot a PCSO, even more than shoot a copper, or off a pig
Mar 2009 - On Borough

policegal01
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by policegal01 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:21 pm

Hehehe, how hot does it get in the summer? Just be prepared, take three shirts with you, and tons of deodrant, and stuff for at least two showers. You think I am joking? Just you wait and see......

typecastboy
Gold Elite Legion
Gold Elite Legion

Post by typecastboy » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:39 pm

Even with the few hot'ish days we've had so far, I have had a taste of the sweat-inducing body armour, a taste of things to come.
Mar 2009 - On Borough

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic