2 weeks in..... my first question ?

For your first year - you're a ROOKIE!! You are new to the job and will have plenty of questions that need answering - despite your 3 weeks intensive training. Ask your questions HERE! ANYTHING, no subject is too small, no query is too silly

Moderator: national-PCSOs

Hudson01
Registered Member
Registered Member

2 weeks in..... my first question ?

Post by Hudson01 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:00 pm

Ok, not long started as a PCSO and i have my first question, whilst out and about mixing with the various business, schools etc on my beat, they very rightly asked for '' my card '', eerrrmmm i thought, i don't have any, so i went back to the nick and asked for the order form so i can put a requisition in for say 250 contact cards.............. laughter was the response ! Since the budget cuts '' extras'' like this are just not on the cards (no pun intended). So i then thought of Vistaprint.... but the card designs are somewhat cheesy, with handcuffs, sherrif badges etc.

So do you guys have this problem ? I don't think that contact cards for PCSO's (given our role) are just a nice to have, they are essential.

Any thoughts where i can go to get some printed, given the costs its not such a big deal.

Monkeyboy123
Rookie Member
Sacred: 'Ranger'

Re: 2 weeks in..... my first question ?

Post by Monkeyboy123 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:28 pm

You should have plenty of contact cards to ur expense!!! as at the end of the day its important for the public to get in touch with their local pcso...get onto you line manager and get some ordered you will find you will be given them out daily!

jonny121
Committee Member
Committee Member
Examiner: XIII

Post by jonny121 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:49 pm

i would be very surprised if your business card order is rejected however I would order a smaller amount say 50 to start off with.
PCSO Nov 2007 - Feb 2010
PC Feb 2010...

dingdangdo
Banned Member

Post by dingdangdo » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:19 pm

Or your Force supplies generic cards and you have to write your details on it before you hand them out.

Hudson01
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Hudson01 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:41 pm

I will speak with my Sgt tomorrow (on lates), but i was surprised i must say.

Arthur ASCII
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Arthur ASCII » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:29 pm

Please speak with your Line Manager. Your Force may or may not provide business cards, but they will certainly have a "corporate syle" document that dictats fonts, logos, layout and other aspects that must be adhered to. You can't just have some cards printed by a corner shop - they have to conform to the corporate image.

Hudson01
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Hudson01 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:45 pm

I will do, it does seem like a bit of a poor show at the moment, but lets see.

ticko121
Official Member
Official Member

Post by ticko121 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:07 pm

If you can't order any of your own business cards through your force, make your own.

Takes 5 mins in MS Word or similar, ensure you put your force crest/logo on and keep it simple but professional.
I don't see what all the fuss is about. If those dolphins were so smart, they wouldn't hang out with tuna.

Gualsa
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Gualsa » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:09 pm

We "Lost" our business cards a year ago to the budget cut. We now use "calling cards" which I always have on my anyway. I just stick my name and collar no on them and they already have the email address and phone number printed on them. (however that's the old phone no so now we probably have to chuck them all with the introduction of the 101 number)

The only people who get proper business cards here are CID officers, firearms licensing and such like. I would not print my own if I was you. You could get into trouble, especially if you include your force logo.

jay1
Executive Officer
Executive Officer
Class: 'Undead Hunter'
Alignment: 'Shadow'
Sacred: 'Ranger'

Post by jay1 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:44 pm

we stiil have the business cards.... have not needed any new for about a year now....
though i got about 500 when i moved to a new area and had a big community engagement there.

ticko121
Official Member
Official Member

Post by ticko121 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:06 am

Gualsa wrote:... I would not print my own if I was you. You could get into trouble, especially if you include your force logo.
Best get it checked first by supervision, but that's basic common sense really. If supervision don't link the idea, tell them to order you some.

All our leaflets, flyers, business cards, calling cards, notices etc have all been made useless now the 101 number has come in. I hate to think of how many £££ thousands this has cost each force.
I don't see what all the fuss is about. If those dolphins were so smart, they wouldn't hang out with tuna.

BiGjD
Official Member
Official Member

Post by BiGjD » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:41 pm

Very odd that you would be declined some business cards... What force are you with? Put the requisition in anyway and if it is declined I would look at making your own.

BigBoots
Official Member
Official Member

Post by BigBoots » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:07 am

As others have said, I use our force generic ones and stick my details on the back!

the dark lord
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by the dark lord » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:23 pm

BiGjD wrote:Very odd that you would be declined some business cards... What force are you with? Put the requisition in anyway and if it is declined I would look at making your own.

Ours are available on the intranet, you fill in the blanks and print them out! on A4 sheets of 12

When we had a local admin they even ordered some 250gsm card to use..

Big Brother
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Examiner: XIII

Post by Big Brother » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:06 am

We have blank ones, used to have them printed but there's no money for things like that now.
Big brother is watching you.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic