Transfering between Forces

This is the only section of forums that is accessable to the public. All the other forums are "locked." Access to further forums becomes immediately available upon registering.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

echohead
Registered Member
Registered Member

Transfering between Forces

Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:56 pm

Sorry but maybe this has been covered before....

I have been a PCSO for a couple of years and my wife's family all come from Hampshire. We are thinking of moving back and I was wondering if there is any way of transferring forces or whether I have to go through the whole application process again.

I appreciate that there is not any formal transfer process as there is with Police Officers but I'm guessing that there may be some of you out there that have changed forces or might know someone who has and whether they had to re-apply or if there may have been an easier way in ??

Cheers..... :?: :D

RyanCTJ
Rookie Member

Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:02 pm

One of the girls I work with has come down from West Yorkshire, she had to re-apply and go through the full selection process. I could be wrong but until (if ever!) there is a national selection process and standardised powers across the whole of England and Wales, I doubt transfers will be possible.

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

the Met is wonderful - just wonderful

Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:46 pm

Article: October 2007

Opportunities
Police Constable Polly Comber fancied a challenge so she decided to transfer to the Met, where she enjoys her role protecting the citizens of London. Polly would definitely recommend the Met to anyone thinking about transferring.

"Both my husband and I are in the Police Service, I originally joined in 1990, working for Thames Valley. We got to a point in our lives when we wanted to get out of the rat race and ended up transferring to Durham Constabulary.

"We had a great time there but, as both our families live in the Reading (Berkshire) area, the distance became quite a strain. I also wanted to progress my career in different ways that were not going to be possible in Durham because it’s such a small force.

Returning to Thames Valley obviously crossed our minds – we had friends and contacts there after all – but I fancied a challenge and the idea of the Met came up. I did wonder how I’d manage; I knew I’d have to adjust to different procedures but that was what made it exciting.

Hendon was a pretty amazing place; even the size and scale of it was impressive. There were about 40 of us transferees and a couple of rejoiners. We were there for a week and I really enjoyed it. It’s only when you join the Met that you realise how diverse it really is.

When you first transfer, you’re initially a bit shell-shocked but then it’s as if you’ve never worked anywhere else. You settle in so quickly and you end up just doing the job.

I’ve been in London six months now and it’s as if I’ve been here all my service. At first you do think “it’s the Met – 30,000 officers!” But then it all becomes second nature. I was posted to Southall, which was ideal because we were living in the Reading area. I couldn’t fault the team I joined; I was just accepted without any question.

I had been thinking that it was going to be completely different at the Met. What I found instead was that the people are just the same – and that’s been brilliant. The only real difference is how many officers I parade with.

When people think of Great Britain, they think of London. Even though there are other major cities, London is the big draw – certainly for tourists. We have a duty to people visiting this country to make it safe for them – and for the people that live here. That is my role.

Of course I have a career that I want to pursue but, ultimately, my role is to protect the citizens of London now, as it was in Thames Valley and in Durham, and I will do my best to do that. In the future I want to gain more experience with the Met – the opportunities available to me are endless – but for the time being, that is my focus.

>> more

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic