two questions, can you answer one of them??

This is the only section of forums that is accessable to the public. All the other forums are "locked." Access to further forums becomes immediately available upon registering.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

two questions, can you answer one of them??

Post by falkor » Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:43 pm

I doubt any of us will continue to support this website anymore as there is a clear lack of self control over what gets put on here and we feel that we don't want to be associated with something that is damaging to the pcso reputation and also allows people who are not pcso's to come posing as pcso's and post crap similar to this.
I can see now why no official Police Service backs this website because of the content on it.
Shame really as it started off with really good intentions.
All it is good for now is slagging other agencies etc off.
I feel really sorry for all the genuine pcso's who post worthy information and help new recruits when they come into the job.
Two questions - can you answer one of them?
Or even better BOTH!

A. Should these forums control - to a far greater degree -what gets put on the site? So that threads like "Private security passing themselves off as Old Bill…" which in fact have nothing to do with PCSOs, are deleted on sight?

B. Does this site need to be "backed" by official Police Services? otherwise we really are not worth visiting at all are we?

brianb
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by brianb » Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:46 pm

No and no.

James
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by James » Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:26 pm

I would say no to the first, but maybe stricter controls and enforcement on people being respectful of others etc.

And to the second, i would say no, but if you can get it then all the better.

Juts my opinion.

DarkKnight
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by DarkKnight » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:29 pm

NO to both.
'' It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me ''

joeyspoons
Committee Member
Committee Member
Class: 'Night Summoner'
Alignment: 'Lightning'
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by joeyspoons » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:31 pm

No and No
NORTHERN SOUL Its a way of Life

Winston Churchill. (Quote)
"Sir you are Drunk"
"Yes Madam and you are UGLY"
"But in the morning i will be SOBER"

Carpe Diem

tim419
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by tim419 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:50 pm

No and No. Lively debate and honest exchanges are good for all of us. I have benefited from hearing about people's experiences elsewhere and it has been good to get replies occasionally putting me in my place (humbly accepted!) or pointing out mistakes or gaps in my knowledge or understanding.

We're all here on a level playing field as equals - regardless of whether you're a PCSO or police officer, rank, civilian, applicant or whatever.

Whether someone has ten minutes or ten years service, everyone's entitled to have a say, be heard and hopefully listen to others.

Well done Falkor and others here - and if people don't like it or get the hump sometimes - there's the door (points behind and over shoulder!).

TTFN x

baronsmirnoff
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by baronsmirnoff » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:13 pm

The second question is easy to answer NO, it is a site for PCSOS and others to talk about issues that effect PCSOs

The first question is a bit more tricky there are plenty of other sites that this type of thread could have been posted on but if we delete it how far do we go in deleting non 'suitable' post or threads, how many threads end up with 2 people having a private conversation between themselves, so I would have to say NO to this question as well
DRINK WAS THE ANSWER BUT I FORGOT THE QUESTION

My spelling is good spelling but the letters sometime wobble and get in the wrong place - Winne The Pooh

stu
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by stu » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:22 pm

tim419 wrote:No and No. Lively debate and honest exchanges are good for all of us. I have benefited from hearing about people's experiences elsewhere and it has been good to get replies occasionally putting me in my place (humbly accepted!) or pointing out mistakes or gaps in my knowledge or understanding.

We're all here on a level playing field as equals - regardless of whether you're a PCSO or police officer, rank, civilian, applicant or whatever.

Whether someone has ten minutes or ten years service, everyone's entitled to have a say, be heard and hopefully listen to others.

Well done Falkor and others here - and if people don't like it or get the hump sometimes - there's the door (points behind and over shoulder!).

TTFN x
I agree 100%
Remember he who dare's wins (only fools and horses)

What you see is not always what you get!

Radman
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Radman » Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:19 pm

Well the reason I made the thread was because it was Police related, I didnt think there would be a problem with putting it in the 'basement' section of the forums.

Something I feel this site needs to crack down on is 'forum trolling.'

By that I mean the following:

- Two people will enter a debate that will turn into a conversation completely not related to the original topic.

- A member or group will derail topics on whatever thread they post on in an attempt to get a certain opinion across.

- Short worded responses to topics that add little to the debate/conversation.
Image> Sept 07 - Present
Image> Jan 05 to July 07
"Forget it Jake, it's Chinatown..."

Jimmy_bobby
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Jimmy_bobby » Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:23 pm

No and No.

mj12cz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by mj12cz » Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:08 pm

Hi Falk,

I say no and no.
"Its a mother beautiful bridge and its going to be there"

Save the cheer leader, save the world.....

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

RikDeckard
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by RikDeckard » Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:30 pm

Two big 'NO's from me,

as long as the posts are ot abusive, no need to censor, everyone is entitled to an opinion, and I am sure most of us are mature enough to accept contructive critisism, and ignore the odd jibe.

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Post by falkor » Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:38 pm

hehe so right Rik :mrgreen:

hi mj 8) absolutely!
Radman wrote:Well the reason I made the thread was because it was Police related, I didnt think there would be a problem with putting it in the 'basement' section of the forums.
there is no problem putting any such thread on Radman !! Basement or not.

You are not being criticised here, I am just putting forward previous comments from METRO to see how other members feel about his pathetic poxy ideas :roll: (well that's my opinion BUT let's see how others feel :wink: )

Let's put it this way, a members puts on a thread that a mod feels is in the wrong area of the site E.G it's in Basement but should be in Off Topic, well NO SWEAT the mod can move it in 30 seconds flat and it is no big deal!! I promise you :D
Radman wrote:Something I feel this site needs to crack down on is 'forum trolling.'

By that I mean the following:

- Two people will enter a debate that will turn into a conversation completely not related to the original topic.
they are doing this for support from other members or even mods

if this support does not materialise then you are just left to read it :oops:
Radman wrote:- A member or group will derail topics on whatever thread they post on in an attempt to get a certain opinion across.

- Short worded responses to topics that add little to the debate/conversation.
Yes this is annoying but I can probably speak for other mods and say "to deal with things like this might be seen as onerous and over supervision of threads" in addition it is quite possible that in truth mods just don't have the time or really can't be bothered to act against such cases, even though strictly speaking they are incorrect behaviour on the site :wink:

BACK TO THE CASE IN HAND :P

A. Should these forums control - to a far greater degree -what gets put on the site? So that threads like "Private security passing themselves off as Old Bill…" which in fact have nothing to do with PCSOs, are deleted on sight?

B. Does this site need to be "backed" by official Police Services? otherwise we really are not worth visiting at all are we?

BigM
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by BigM » Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:57 am

I am by no means the person to answer this (not a PCSO) but I have been a forum admin (other places) long enough to give my thoughts. If you disagree feel free to skip the rest of my post. However anything anyone writes (including me) should always be taken with a grain of salt.

A: Dealing with small stuff will make the forum appear to be elitist and over moded. With the result of driving away good people (most of the time long time members) and not attracting the type of people that make a forum fun and alive. *example MaximumPC (maximumpc.com/forum) has been going through this, and they have lost about 1/2 of their regular good posters, including me. Their forums are a ghost town in comparison to what it once was.

B: "Need" to be backed? No way!
If they can't see the potential that lies in this forum to help their workers be the best they can by having a place to bounce ideas, thoughts, and concerns off others then that is their great loss, not yours.

I personally don't visit this forum as much as I would like if I had all the free time in the world. I also stay out of the areas that I don't have any direct knowledge or experience with. I'm a security officer not a pcso, for the record, and I would not be the proper person to answer anything in the daily lives of pcso's. However I enjoy the off topic areas, and have come to think of some of you as friends. It would sadden me greatly to see such a great resource brought down by those that don't bother to try and understand it's propose in life.

M
Don't play with matches, unless your a firefighter!
.If you do play with matches watch out for the firefighter right behind you with the bucket of water!
*I will not be held resonsable if anyone gets wet while holding a match.*

Critical
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Critical » Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:11 pm

A. No - freedom of speech. Everyone has different opinions and I see no need for dictator-style control. If people have a problem with it then they can Foxtrot Oscar to another website.

B. Again - no. If anything, unofficial websites are better because, like A, it's not a dictatorship. If this site was backed officially, then I'd leave.

Perhaps a few more moderators are needed to keep the peace, but other than that I think it's fine.
My comments do not represent Kent Police

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic