Dixon Of Dock Green

This is the only section of forums that is accessable to the public. All the other forums are "locked." Access to further forums becomes immediately available upon registering.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

ronc

Dixon Of Dock Green

Post by ronc » Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:54 pm

Gents

I have a had alot of problems with teenagers and people in general creating anti-social behavour and pretty much ruining peoples lives in our local area - however the police do little to help and people are scared to get involved themselves directly and when they have they have had preoperty damaged etc etc...

Could I ask your opinion about an article entitled Dixon Of Dock Green.
I know it sounds really cheesy - but that takes nothing away from what this article says.

I've ben trying to drum up support for this article in south manchester.
But seem to be a getting a resounding wall of silence from the police
who I think dont see this as something they should be responding to.

I beginning to get the impression thay are simply not intresed in it and have no intention of giving this any consideration at all.

I personally believe that PCSO and the type of community policing that this article talks about is exaclty what we need on our streets. We need to take control back from the teenagers making our lives a misery.

Could I ask your opinion of this article.

Many thanks
ronc

A NORTH-EAST chief constable yesterday introduced "the Dixons of Dock Green for the 21st Century" as he unveiled plans to put hundreds of officers onto neighbourhood beats.

Cleveland Police are to flood local communities with officers in the hope of driving down crime and restoring public confidence in policing.

At a launch yesterday, Chief Constable Sean Price likened the idea to the classic BBC television series in which old-school officer PC George Dixon pounded the streets as a community bobby.

That traditional style of policing is now back, with nearly 600 police and community support officers dedicated to community beats across Teesside.

Speaking at the event at Middlesbrough FC's Riverside Stadium yesterday, Mr Price said: "In the forthcoming days and weeks, these neighbourhood policing teams will be coming to a street near you - they will be a visible and reassuring presence.

"Every resident will receive the names and photos of their local neighbourhood team, complete with dedicated telephone contact details.

"It is the Dixon of Dock Green for the 21st Century."

The neighbourhood policing team has been expanded across Teesside after a successful pilot scheme in Hartlepool. The initiative was launched in the town in April last year and involved having a dedicated neighbourhood policing team (NPT) in each of the 17 council wards.

Each NPT is made up of uniformed police officers, with additional support from police community support officers (PCSOs), special constables, volunteers and council enforcement officers. The scheme - in which the Cleveland force will sign up to the One NorthEast Regional Image campaign, which aims to raise the profile of the region and awareness of its advantages - has been rolled out across Middlesbrough, Redcar and Cleveland, and Stockton.

The intention is that communities benefit from more visible and accessible policing; and residents know who their local officers are, how to contact them, and what they are doing to address local crime and disorder.

Mr Price said: "I have carried out extensive consultation and the public and their representatives have made it very clear that they want a more visible, community-based police service.

"They also want to see young people diverted away from crime and addiction and encouraged to make the most of their talents. We have already achieved some remarkable results in reducing crime, and I believe this neighbourhood policing plan will help us progress further and make out streets safer."

Where possible, officers will be based at community focal points such as schools or libraries, and will be seen regularly on the beat. Councillor Dave McLuckie, chairman of Cleveland Police Authority, said: "The constant message from the public is that they want a highly visible police presence on their streets, and that is what we have delivered, with a record number of police officers and a major increase in community support officers.

"The other thing that people tell us is that they want to feel a real connection with their local police team, and that is exactly what they will get from neighbourhood policing." Mr Price said the launch marked the start of a new era. "I firmly believe that the police should be as much a part of the community as the local school or the corner shop," he said. "We are firmly on the side of the law-abiding majority who want to go about their everyday lives in safety and help their fellow human beings, if possible - a majority who believe in justice for all. We want to see the elderly and vulnerable protected and children diverted away from crime, anti-social behaviour and illegal drug addiction - communities that encourage individuals to make the most of their talents."

Mr Price denied the force's commitment to neighbourhood policing would impact on its ability to tackle serious and volume crime. "Many of our raids focus on organised crime and have successfully targeted drug dealers, burglars and others responsible for bringing misery to local communities," he said.

"These hard-hitting raids will continue as we drive home the message that those in Cleveland who deal in drugs and crime will be caught. We will continue to be vigilant against drink-fuelled late night violence, domestic violence and the threat of terrorism. We will continue to reduce recorded crime and the fear of crime among all of our communities."

ANTHONY C
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by ANTHONY C » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:22 pm

Yes this is happening all over now and it is expanding, personally i think these are exciting times in snt there is alot more to come. :D :D
Regards
Anthony

DANGEROUS TIGER
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by DANGEROUS TIGER » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:31 am

The article says it all. This is exactly what we do, and I am part of a Neighbourhood Policing Team.

Statistics show that the level of crime has dropped since it's introduction two years ago.
LIVE WELL, DIE WELL

joeyspoons
Committee Member
Committee Member
Class: 'Night Summoner'
Alignment: 'Lightning'
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by joeyspoons » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:20 am

DANGEROUS TIGER wrote:The article says it all. This is exactly what we do, and I am part of a Neighbourhood Policing Team.

Statistics show that the level of crime has dropped since it's introduction two years ago.

Agreed

Speak to any resident on our ward n they love to see all the hi-vis, what is good is the noms that say, WHATS UP HERE YOU LOT A ALL OVER.

Yep n its going to stay that way
NORTHERN SOUL Its a way of Life

Winston Churchill. (Quote)
"Sir you are Drunk"
"Yes Madam and you are UGLY"
"But in the morning i will be SOBER"

Carpe Diem

lonerider
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by lonerider » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:42 pm

I would like to say what my team have been doing which should reflect the above article on some way, shape or form.

I with 6 other officers are dedicated to just one ward (area) we do not work anywhere else. We walk and do not drive. We walk every road on our shift which takes about 2 to three hours speaking to the local residents and speaking to any youth to find out a little about them. We inform them that this is our patch and that we are fair but tough when it comes to anti-social stuff and 99.9% we are on first name terms.

Since last year and still continuing today we have 6 more roads to set up NHW (neighbourhood watch) and that will be the whole ward.

We have a ward panel that is run by the residents and my self and other ward officers will meet and we are told by the residents what are goals are for the next three months. This could be on a certain time at a certain place youths are hanging out. We will then flood this area and speak to the youths obtain every single details, their Mums or Dad name contact details their full details and establish if we dont know them, where they have come from if they work, the name of their boss at work, everything. Name checks are done on all of them. We tell them this is a NHW area and the residents will inform us what is going on. We advise them if any damage happens that night we will assume you mayknow something about it and we will come and see you. The youths will be informed that we will come over again and speak to them and we really do. We lay down the rules with them and tell them what we expect from them and what they can expect from us.

We have a mobiles, that residents can contact us on when we are on the beat, so its a direct number for the residents. If they phone us about something we will deal and report back to them and let them know what action if any was taken, this we believe keeps them interested in supplying us info. We try to encourage the residents to call us about anything that a 999 call is not called for.

By seeing the residents, talking to them, providing them with our direct number, telling them what arrests have been made that have been contribuited directly from the residents makes them very keen indeed.

Back-up is good, if we need a PACE search or just some extra officers. We have direct numbers on our PR's if we need to private talk with an another officer or we can if available private call another ward where the officers work out of our station and ask them to come over We all get on with the PC's 100% The skippers for the teams are very pro with us we really do work well. I know some big stations its different.

Safety is the key, not having anything to protect you is why it is important to us to work as a SNT ward.

The only thing I will say is SNT officers are different to TEAM officers. SNT officers have the time to get involved with youths, problem solving etc etc, TEAM officers are so busy going to one job then another that its hard to get to know the local residents. Sometimes this why you may get an impression they are not interested, but putting that to one side if you have a proffesional team lead by PC's and PCSO's who are inspirational, enthusiastic then i believe many things can be done.

Now the goverment like it or not are not being very fair with our PC's when it comes down to their money, this is wrong they deserve this, they are very annoyed with Labour. This behaviour from Labour does have an effect how we work and how we view things. We on the other hand seem to be fighting another battle within when it comes down to our terms and conditions (MET) and the service (MPS) who think our role is non-confrontational when we know it is NOT.

So how can we be inspirational and enthusiastic when we are treated badly by press, Labour, and people within the organisation? - By working as a team believing in what you are doing is so more important then all the negative things that we see. "the Dixons of Dock Green for the 21st Century" is the way it should be and the way it will be.

We would like to say a big thank you to TEAM OFFICERs from MERTON for the help when we needed you. Without your support our jobs would be very difficult indeed. Thanks!

ANTHONY C
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by ANTHONY C » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:39 pm

Loved your thread very interesting, hopefully we will be able to do the same in my borough reading your thread has given me a different way to approach the youths ,i liked the bit about making visits to there homes and also saying if they where in the area that you would expect them to know who did the damage if there was any. :D
Regards
Anthony

lonerider
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by lonerider » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:34 am

Thank you, we are very full on but the youths hate their parents knowing what they have been doing. It really works

lonerider
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by lonerider » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:34 am

Posted Twice (Please delete)
Last edited by lonerider on Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

ANTHONY C
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by ANTHONY C » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:28 am

lonerider wrote:Thank you, we are very full on but the youths hate their parents knowing what they have been doing. It really works
No definately i agree its good to see other approaches, thats one of the good things about this site :D
Regards
Anthony

DANGEROUS TIGER
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by DANGEROUS TIGER » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:37 pm

I agree, most youths hate their parents knowing what the have been up to.
LIVE WELL, DIE WELL

ronc

Post by ronc » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:38 pm

Lonerider

That was quite brilliant.
I only hope that this type of policing catches on.

You need to tell people about what your doing and convince others in your organisation of its merits. I certainly will.

I'm off to a neighbourhood partnership meeting (formaly known as Local Action Partnetships) where I was going to put forward the Dixon of Dock Green article, but I think I will show them yours aswell now.

Would be great if I could put a name to it ??

I have every intention of pushing people in my local community to support
these ideas and this type of policing on our strrets - which I believe(now more than ever) is the way forward.

Ive also managed to contact the umbrella organisation for all the residents associations here in south manchester. I'm going to leaflet all of them with these articles and try and drum up more support that way.

Many Thanks
ronc

ANTHONY C
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by ANTHONY C » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:41 pm

ronc wrote:Lonerider

That was quite brilliant.
I only hope that this type of policing catches on.

You need to tell people about what your doing and convince others in your organisation of its merits. I certainly will.

I'm off to a neighbourhood partnership meeting (formaly known as Local Action Partnetships) where I was going to put forward the Dixon of Dock Green article, but I think I will show them yours aswell now.

Would be great if I could put a name to it ??

I have every intention of pushing people in my local community to support
these ideas and this type of policing on our strrets - which I believe(now more than ever) is the way forward.

Ive also managed to contact the umbrella organisation for all the residents associations here in south manchester. I'm going to leaflet all of them with these articles and try and drum up more support that way.

Many Thanks
ronc
ronc,
if you are serious then join the forum so that we know who you are. :wink:
Regards
Anthony

lonerider
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by lonerider » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:31 am

Ronc,

Maybe you could introduce your self and tell us a little more about what you do or intend to do?

ANTHONY C
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by ANTHONY C » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:21 pm

lonerider wrote:Ronc,

Maybe you could introduce your self and tell us a little more about what you do or intend to do?
Agreed so that we know who we are talking to so to speak.
Regards
Anthony

ronc

Post by ronc » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:54 pm

Hate to disapoint anyone but am just a local tenant whos better judgment got the better of him.

Went to the meeting - Some police chap just been put in charge of Manchester South Division called Supt David Anthony was there along with 4 local councillors and various other people. read out a paragraph from LoneRiders thread. Combination of slience and smirking followed that.

The next day I was asked to view my opinions on a Crime and Disorder Strategy Consultation - C2 Northenden.

I sent them the following email with two documants
the first being the Dixon Of Dock green and the second LoneRiders Thread.

The chap in charge of the umbrella organisation for the residents associations seemed really impressed.
Hes going to leaflet everyone with these documents.
I aslo sent this to the Manchester Evening News - Though I wouldnt count
on to much from that.

Anyway the following email went to an awful lot of people in goverment:-

Pete Whiteley / Debbie Robson / All

Could I bring your attention to the attached two documents.

You could base what needs to happen concerning all aspects of policing on these two

documents.

The first document is entitled Dixon Of Dock Green. This article is by a chief constable Sean Price

who implemented this strategy in his district. This is exactly the type of policing that I feel is needed.

The second article is the full version of the paragraph I read out in the meeting. This is I believe what

All PSCO should be doing.

These are not made up by me but by real people on the front line doing the job.

I’m going to continue to try and drum up support for this type of policing here in south Manchester.

I hope you will all lend your support to these initiatives.

One more important point that even these two articles do not touch on much but I believe is just as important

Is the need to hold parents to account. They are responsible for there children and when and if teenagers are

Caught Causing misery and distress to others then the parents should I believe also be somehow reprimanded.

Without effective community police we will always be fighting a losing battle.

I understand that we the public lock our doors and close our curtains but that’s because we

dare not go outside and confront these feral youths on our own.

I believe that apathy on the part of the public can be overcome using the methods described by the

PCSO in the document.

I understand there are many factors to take into consideration when dealing with teenagers but we have

to start somewhere and the first place would be to take control back of our streets and make sure that

we feel safe to go outside.

Many Thanks

ron

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic