interview questions, please rate my scanario answers!

This is the only section of forums that is accessable to the public. All the other forums are "locked." Access to further forums becomes immediately available upon registering.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

jimmy

interview questions, please rate my scanario answers!

Fri May 23, 2008 4:30 am

i have been told by my local force that during the recruitment process i will be asked questions on my interview about what i would do as a PSCO in different scanarios.

i have found some questions on the policecouldyou website.

We’re looking for special qualities.

1.How would you deal with a group of
binge drinkers dancing in the street?

2.What would you do to win the trust of
housing estate residents scared to give
evidence about a violent assault?

3.How would you handle kids using a
shopping centre as an indoor cycle
speedway?

4.What would you do to rebuild the
confidence of an elderly couple who
were burgled last week?

i have wrote my answers below, please rate my answers and tell me what you think of it, is it good or bad and do you think i will pass?
i would also be very gratefull if you could answers these questions on how you would deal with them as this will help me improve my knowledge on what i should be thinking about.

here goes so don't laugh!
1. i would tell them to get back on the foot path first, confiscate their alcohol and say how dangerous it is and that they could get run overed easilly, if they said they wont get hurt, i will give an example that if someone as drunk as them was driving they won't be able to stop. if they did not listen to me i will tell them that i could just call some police officers so they will come and arrest you.

2. i will go to the estate and go to every house to try and speak to all the residance and tell to consider reporting it or it could get worse because the suspect thinks that he could get away with things, maybe next time you could end up being the victim, and how would you feel if you were assulted and your neighbour saw it and wouldn't give evidence? what would you think of them? i will then tell them that i will do my best to walk through the estate as often as i can and will ask my colleagues to do so to when ever we are in the area. i will then give them a contact number to report the crime.

3. i will stop them and tell them that they are not allowed to bike in shopping centres, especially racing around as it can hurt people, "you wouldn't like the idea of someone randomly crash into you in speed would you?" i will then get their names and address down, if i think they are generally listening then i will warn them that i can go to their house and spek to their mom and dads if i want to but i want to give them another chance, i will finish of by saying "if i see you guys biking in the centre again or racing anywhere i will tell your mom". if they didn't seem to listen to me then i wll go to their house and tell their mom and dads.

4. i would go and visit them and see how they are getting on. and that if still they had any promblems they could ask me, i will tell them that i will try my best to visit them regulary and advice on better home security and how to prevent it from happening again. i will tell them that the police are working on this case and will give them updates when i visit them.

tommy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: interview questions, please rate my scanario answers!

Fri May 23, 2008 12:29 pm

Errrm, i'm not too sure if you really should share your answers around like this. I might be wrong? But ... by the sounds of it from my interview, some recruitment officers read this web site, you don't want to give too much away really.

Also, my advice is, not to plan any answers .... because, if you then forget a part of it ... you'll get in a panic and it will all go wrong. Also, if they change the questions, or word them slightly different then its gunna mess all your planning around.

What I would suggest, is just practise speaking confidently and politely with a friend, and get them to ask you similar questions in different variations - and try to come up with answers on the spot.

Oh, and, good luck :D
*Any posts made by me are my personal opinion*

Fri May 23, 2008 4:46 pm

sorri bout that, i just wanted to know if i was on the right track. i did not plan those answers as i know it varies. but thanks for the advice i will practice specking confidenly.

oli
Committee Member
Committee Member

Fri May 23, 2008 9:16 pm

NPIA check websites regularly for people cheating etc, you might not be neccesarily be cheating but its not the best idea to publish your answers on a public site.

Andrew B
Committee Member
Committee Member

Fri May 23, 2008 9:28 pm

My advice is mate don't read too much into it. My interview questions were not so much based on what i would do, but more what i've done in past situations much like in the application.

Know the core competencies, sure have a few questions pre planned, - it dosent hurt, i did this and it actually paid off, my interview was scored AAAAA.

They're not looking for a robot who can read off textbook answers.
Ex Met PCSO
PC Day 1 Passed 06Sep
PC Day 2 24th February

Current Met PC

oli
Committee Member
Committee Member

Fri May 23, 2008 9:42 pm

As the special inspector who interviewed me a few years ago now said "Its all about the school of life"

Gforceuk
Elite Member
Elite Member

Fri May 23, 2008 10:41 pm

I personally wouldnt use those answers...

for instance.. what would you 'get the police officers to arrest ' them for ? It smacks of i'm not getting my way so i'll get my dad because he's bigger than yours.

And another one 'i'm going to tell your mom '

hmmm

And i'm not sure if your dsylexic or not but i'd seriously consider spell checking any answers you give .

Sorry to be harsh but some of the answers sound a little immature to be honest. I maybe wrong and being a little hard... but thats how i see it.
PC

Sat May 24, 2008 1:45 am

hey guys sorri again, please delete this thread if its not appropriate.

after reading my answers again i do agree that maybe my answers were a bit silly. i think my approach was to perhaps scare them if they won't listen but it's probably not very professional. i am not dyslexic by the way as it's a habit i write like this on fourms.

i will focus on developing my core competencies skills.
thanks for all your advice, really appreciated. :green:

patricholier

Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:13 am

Hi

I found that a member asked same question in this forum some months ago.

Pls use search box to find this questions with comments.

If you want to get more materials that related to this topic, you can visit: Police interview questions and answers
Best regards.

chu082011

Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:41 am

Dear friends

Thank very much for sharing. I like interview questions, please rate my scanario answers! very much.

It's intersting.

If you have some time, pls visit my blog at: Police interview questions

Rgs

Arthur ASCII
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:03 pm

chu082011 wrote:Dear friends

Thank very much for sharing. I like interview questions, please rate my scanario answers! very much.

It's intersting.

If you have some time, pls visit my blog at: Police interview questions

Rgs
Sorry mate. The whole thing is a badly written crock. There are a few good tips amongst the mangled grammar, but I wouldn't advise anyone to take any of it too seriously.

It probably makes you a buck or two in advertising revenue though.
UNISON - Fighting your corner. Join us HERE
ImageImageImageImage

jeehoo

Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:17 am

Get your ideas first! You can see suggestions at source: Police interview questions

jeehoo

Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:20 am

I want share some my ideals. I'll send when i finished it.

Oscar2010

Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:52 am

I've just completed my final stage of (hopefully) becoming a PCSO. I had my fitness test (passed with flying comments, and was actually complimented on by the PTI of how strong I was for a girl) and the dreaded interview. I might go on abit here so please bear with me.

I had the orginal selection about a year ago and I passed with a B grade overall (messed the interview up big time!) however everything got put on hold because of government cuts etc. It was only by chance last week looked at my old email address and saw that the day before I had an email from the police saying vacancies had come up and was I still interested. Of course I said yes! It was Monday just gone when I had the fitness and interview! To be honest it all felt very sureal due to happening so quick. I read over the job role as much as I could etc etc.

The problem is, is that I am really worried about how my interview went. Some people were told about pay and holidays etc but I wasn't...so doubt crossed my mind straight away....however, some of these people had failed fitness so I'm not sure if that's just me looking in to things. My main concern, however, is that in my normal day to day life I am a youth worker and I focused my four answers based around this. I did say at the end, where you support your application, that I know all I have spoke about it youth work and I didn't want them to think that I only believe that PCSO's only deal with young people....even though I know a massive part of their job role is with young people (i.e- minor crime, anti-social behaviour, schools etc etc).

Has anyone, or does anyone know of anyone, who has possibly been in a simialr situation to me and had feedback, albeit whether they were succesful or not?

Any form of suggestion would be great as I really think I have messed it up and so a bit of advice, no matter how big or small, would help.

Apologies for going on so much!!!

Vicki :slhi:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic