Why apply as PCSO?

This is the only section of forums that is accessable to the public. All the other forums are "locked." Access to further forums becomes immediately available upon registering.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

why be a PCSO instead of a PC?

You may select 1 option

View results

Why apply as PCSO?

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:09 pm

Hello everybody,

This is my first time here - I only discovered this site today and am pleased and mildly surprised to see such an active and enthusiastic community. Good job!

I've been thinking of applying to be a P.C.S.O. and have also been interested in working as a police officer or special. I have never worked for the police or any other public sector job before so this is all very new to me.

I have so many questions but I'll ask just one at this stage:
It seems like there are many enthusiastic P.C.S.O.s here which is great but why apply to be a P.C.S.O. instead of applying to be a police officer? Sorry if this has been asked before. At the moment I can see a lot of great things about the job but all the potential negatives & frustrations seem to be in part because of the limited powers compared to a PC. This is probably made worse because of the public's hazy understanding of the role. I suspect I'm wrong but if not then it seems that waiting for a recruitment window for police constables in my area would be a better idea. What do you all think? Why P.C.S.O.?

Thanks!

jimbo
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: Why apply as PCSO?

Post by jimbo » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:02 pm

I know this may sound obvious - but apply to be a PCSO if you want to be a PCSO.
If you want to be a PC, apply for that - it's a completely different job
Does dim rhaid i chi ddweud dim byd. Ond gall niweidio eich amddiffyniad os na fyddwch chi’n son, wrth gael eich holi am rywbeth y byddwch chi’n dibynnu arno nes ymlaen yn y Llys. Gall unrhyw beth yr ydych yn ei ddweud gael ei roi fel tystiolaeth.

Arthur ASCII
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Arthur ASCII » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:10 pm

For me it's "horses for courses".

I'm 54, so a career as a Police Officer is not an option for me. I am however, fit, strong, keen and brimming with life experience so the PCSO option is perfect for me.

Headset 57
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Headset 57 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:14 pm

I chose being outdoors instead of being indoors.
'You can always find a Question for an Answer
But you can't always find an Answer for a Question'

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic