Interview stage...are you required to know about your force?

This is the only section of forums that is accessable to the public. All the other forums are "locked." Access to further forums becomes immediately available upon registering.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

PCSOwannabe
Official Member
Official Member

Interview stage...are you required to know about your force?

Post by PCSOwannabe » Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:09 pm

Hi all :slby: i'm a new joiner to these forums but have been lurking about for a bit just trying to gain some insight into being a PCSO . I have to say this place has been a brilliant reference place for me so far and has actually motivated me even more towards being in the job....Anyhoo less of the smarminess and into my question!....I have my Assessment stage due next week and though i know the interview stage requires you to provide examples of times when you made use of the core competencies, are you also asked if you have any knowledge of the force you're applying to, e.g crime trends, policing issues etc? should i be reading the website and local papers before i get there??

thanks for any help!

oh by the way i'm applying to Northumbria if that makes a difference!
Applied - March 14th 2008
Assessment Centre - July 8th 2008
Vetting - began July 30th 2008
Medical - Jan 19th 2009
Fitness - March 9th 2009
References - April 24th 2009
Started - May 11th 2009

tim419
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: Interview stage...are you required to know about your force?

Post by tim419 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:22 pm

The competencies are generic (ie. not specifically police related). However, anyone going for the Job should at least be able to demonstrate a modicum of knowledge about an organisation they are hopefully serious about joining.

Figures and stats aren't important, but have you made an effort to find out - go to a police station, speak to your local team, log onto police website and at least be able to come up with a couple of facts about what they do.

PCSOwannabe
Official Member
Official Member

Re: Interview stage...are you required to know about your force?

Post by PCSOwannabe » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:17 pm

thanks tim for your reply. you were right. having just done the assessment the questions are only based on the competencies. i applied for northumbria though and don't know if that would be right for every force
Applied - March 14th 2008
Assessment Centre - July 8th 2008
Vetting - began July 30th 2008
Medical - Jan 19th 2009
Fitness - March 9th 2009
References - April 24th 2009
Started - May 11th 2009

gold4252

very nice

Post by gold4252 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:11 pm

very nice:) The most epic thread of our time

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic