Taxi / Mini cab/ seat belts/ kids?

This is the only section of forums that is accessable to the public. All the other forums are "locked." Access to further forums becomes immediately available upon registering.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

Highway Solicitor

Taxi / Mini cab/ seat belts/ kids?

Post by Highway Solicitor » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:31 am

What happens if you see a taxi, multiple kids and 1 mum in the back of taxi? you say to the driver "Hold up, none of these kids are belted in!" Taxi driver replies, "Not my responsibility pal, down to Mum"

You speak to the mother, "None of these kids are belted in." she says, "There are no belts and anyway it's the driver's responsibility, not mine"

Who's right?

Summary of the Seat Belt Laws for Cars, Taxis and Private Hire Cars
personfront seatrear seatwho is responsible?
DriverSeat belt MUST be worn if available.-Driver
Children under 3 years oldCorrect child restraint MUST be used.Correct child restraint MUST be used

If one is not available in a taxi, then the child may travel unrestrained in the rear
Driver
Children aged 3 and above, until they reach EITHER their 12th birthday OR 135cm in heightCorrect child restraint MUST be usedWhere seat belts fitted, correct child restraint MUST be used

MUST use adult belt if the correct child restraint is not available in three scenarios:

- in a in a licensed taxi or private hire vehicle ;
- for a short distance for reason of unexpected necessity;
- two occupied child restraints prevent fitment of a third.

In addition, a child 3 and over may travel unrestrained in the rear seat of a vehicle if seat belts are not available
Driver
Child over 1.35 metres, or 12 to 13 yearsSeat belt MUST be worn if availableSeat belt MUST be worn if availableDriver
Adult passengers (ie 14 years and over)Seat belt MUST be worn if availableSeat belt MUST be worn if availablePassenger
Anyone spoken to a passenger or driver re seat belts in situations like this?

dingdangdo
Banned Member

Re: Taxi / Mini cab/ seat belts/ kids?

Post by dingdangdo » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:37 pm

Can you show me a licensed taxi that does not have seat-belts Highway Solicitor?

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Re: Taxi / Mini cab/ seat belts/ kids?

Post by falkor » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:21 pm

I always thought that Licensed Taxi drivers were exempt

Check out http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTr ... DG_4022064
When you don't need to wear a seat belt
You don't need to wear a seat belt if you're:
  • a driver who is reversing, or supervising a learner driver who is reversing
  • in a vehicle being used for police, fire and rescue services
  • a passenger in a trade vehicle and you're investigating a fault
  • driving a goods vehicle on deliveries that is travelling no more than 50 metres between stops
  • a licensed taxi driver who is 'plying for hire' or carrying passengers
but only the taxi driver is exempt and if he is carrying people under 14 anyone not belted in HE gets the FPN for :slch2:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic