WMP STILL NO STAB VESTS!

This is the only section of forums that is accessable to the public. All the other forums are "locked." Access to further forums becomes immediately available upon registering.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

madnellie
Registered Member
Registered Member

Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:48 pm

Safety and Richard, I'm with you all the way on this one. When we first started we were divided on whether or not we thought they were a good idea but as we looked at the pros and cons most of us decided against them. And I agree with your comments about the gaffers too :D
"There's nothing we can't face....except for bunnies"

safety
Registered Member
Registered Member

Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:16 pm

madnellie wrote:Safety and Richard, I'm with you all the way on this one. When we first started we were divided on whether or not we thought they were a good idea but as we looked at the pros and cons most of us decided against them. And I agree with your comments about the gaffers too :D
Good to see another fellow WMP member on here :D

DANGEROUS TIGER
Committee Member
Committee Member

Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:40 pm

I just hope that those without vests get issued with them. The vast majority of forces DO have them, and they have them for a reason.

We ARE potentially confrontational, whether we like it or not, every time we go out in uniform, and this fact is recognised by TVP. Many times we are instructed to use them, for a variety of tasks, which although not obvious, could become confrontational.

It is naive, and irresponsible, that a handful of forces ignore this fact.

I, for one, do not wish to see a serious injury, or perhaps fatality happen, for want of body armour.

When I was a TW, I had a person waving a knife in my face, and that was for a mere parking ticket, which was issued by a private company.
LIVE WELL, DIE WELL

tj49

Broad Street wardens Vests

Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:57 pm

Having gone out for a drink in Broad Street the other night i noticed that there are now wardens on Broad st in Birmingham, they where yellow and blue hi vis with blue cheq on them, have blue uniform and blue stab vests, however do not look to have police on them, are they police, council, private??? I have now also seen them in the day time in the city and again they are wearing vests, if we`ve got PCSO`s in the area.... 1) why are they needed? 2) why do they need vests and not PCSO`s?

madnellie
Registered Member
Registered Member

Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:55 pm

Good to see another fellow WMP member on here :D[/quote]

Most Definitely :-D
"There's nothing we can't face....except for bunnies"

Maka
Official Member
Official Member

Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:57 pm

I do hope you get your stabbies asap, your front line officers and todays society is just to dangerous. I for one would not go out without mine, fingers crossed you get them soon!.

safety
Registered Member
Registered Member

Re: Broad Street wardens Vests

Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:08 pm

tj49 wrote:Having gone out for a drink in Broad Street the other night i noticed that there are now wardens on Broad st in Birmingham, they where yellow and blue hi vis with blue cheq on them, have blue uniform and blue stab vests, however do not look to have police on them, are they police, council, private??? I have now also seen them in the day time in the city and again they are wearing vests, if we`ve got PCSO`s in the area.... 1) why are they needed? 2) why do they need vests and not PCSO`s?
These are council wardens, i see them most days however i have never seen them wearing stab vests, they are just puffy ill designed jackets. Heres more about them, these are old pictures, they now where what you have described a hi vis jacket with blue cheque. On a friday/sat night they help with the new taxi rank initiative on broad street.

http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/GenerateCo ... PAND=12400

Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:58 pm

just to clarify they ARE now wearing blue stab vests with warden badge on front, worn under coat/jacket. thanks for the link,much appreciated.

JCH
Committee Member
Committee Member

Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:37 pm

Birmingham City council have obviously completed proper risk assessments on the Street wardens role

brummie PCSO

WMP stab vests

Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:29 pm

The fact that WMP refuse to issue their PCSO's stab vests is an utter disgrace. It is not about looking like Police Officers it is about peace of mind. If they issue us vests it does not mean we are going to act like a 'have ago hero' everyday. We are intelligent people who are fully aware of the limitations within hour role. It is having the thought in the back of your mind that you are protected to an adequate level relevant to your role. In the case of a PCSO stab vests should be a minimum requirement. I have been a PCSO with WMP for nearly 3 years like 'safety' working in an innercity estate in central birmingham so i think i am entitled to my opinion. But i must say that my views in relation to his/hers in regards to stab vests are very different. Yes we joined knowing that for the time being we were not going to be issued vests. But i saw WMP as an employer who embraced change with regards to our ever changing society. As did many of the 'old recruits' who joined with me. I think 'safetys' views may change when him/her is faced with a dangerous situation whilst dealing with incidents that are relevant to the role of a PCSO. Just like I have on many many occassions! Being the friendly face of WMP doesnt protect you from being attacked by the idiots out there on the streets of brum my friend wether you are sticking within your remit or not!
Moan over Lol.

JCH
Committee Member
Committee Member

Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:21 pm

I am with you on this one Brummie.... I think I deserve to be protected as much as possible whilst at work... there is nothing confrontational about a vest, its a piece of safety equipment just like my boots protect my feet, waterproofs protect from the rain vests are there to protect from the threat of knives. I would not dream walking round in my slippers. Just the other night myself and my colleague stopped a bloke who was drinking in the street he refused to hand over the alcohol and became agitated, when my coleague noticed a knife sticking out of his coat pocket, called for bobbies but they were unable to find him. Luckly for us we saw it and there was not an alternative scoooby doo ending...

Brummie PCSO

WMP still no stab vests

Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:32 pm

Cheers JCH nice to see other WMP PCSO's using this site!

You might be already aware but the topics on the police and criminal justice Bill have just been given royal assent. It will be law by april 2007 that all PCSO's are given the same powers to tackle ASB.

This will include the power to detain.

Wether we get stab vests after this becomes law only time will tell.

Don't hold your breath. It is WMP we are talking about here.

Lol.

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:41 am

Sent: Monday, February 12, 2007 4:09 PM
Subject: FW: FAO PCSO'S

Sent: Monday, February 12, 2007 14:51
To: !Unison
Subject: FAO [SURREY] PCSO'S

Dear All,

As you are probably aware the Force have recently carried out a Tasked Based Risk Assessment on the role of a PCSO and it has come to the decision that Body Armour will not be issued.

The role of a PCSO is Reassurance and to stand back and report - not to get involved in potentially volatile situations.

Chris Moyes and myself have been in negotiations with ACPO, Management etc regarding the Risk Assessments and have put forward all the points regarding personal safety etc. However, if you carry out your role the way the Force expect you to, then Body Armour will not be required. However this Risk Assessment will be regularly reveiwed and should the situation change then you will be advised.

I would like to take this opportunity to let you know that if you are inside a building then you may not have Airwave coverage all the time, which can cause a problem if you get into difficulties, so please bear this in mind when entering buildings. One member of staff pressed her Red Button whilst in the rear if a Supermarket the other day, but it did not register as she had no coverage - but did register as soon as she left the building (which was too late). I would like to say that she was on the telephone at the time to CCTV who did summon help for her so she was okay.

I would also like to take this opportunity to say thanks to Chris who is always fighting your corner. She attends the Force Uniform and Equipment Group Meeting on your behalf and also attends the PCSO Forums.

Best wishes and kind regards to you all.

Kind regards

Liz Ingham
Branch Secretary
UNISON

Lieutenant fatman
Counsellor
Counsellor
Class: 'Paladin'

Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:02 pm

No way would I work for these people... no stab vests? Forget it, goodbye.
Whoever made this decision deserves to be fired. Surrey police just gets more and more laughable.

geordiepaul2005
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:12 pm

Maybe a nationalisation of uniform and powers would be the best thing to happen to WMP PCSO's

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic