WMP STILL NO STAB VESTS!

This is the only section of forums that is accessable to the public. All the other forums are "locked." Access to further forums becomes immediately available upon registering.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

Marlon
Elite Member
Elite Member

Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:33 pm

falkor wrote: From:
Liz Ingham
Branch Secretary
UNISON

if you carry out your role the way the Force expect you to, then Body Armour will not be required.

One member of staff pressed her Red Button whilst in the rear if a Supermarket the other day, but it did not register as she had no coverage

Has anybody asked why you need a radio handset with a panic button if you're never going to find yourself in a threatening/dangerous situation?

:)

high voltage

Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:50 am

ive been a pcso with gmp now for some time and have always said and thought we do not need body armour every other pxcso i have spoken to wants armour i have no problem with pcsos wanting the armour but i think a disclosure would be a great idea and make armour opptional but i supose its better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Raz
Executive Member
Executive Member

Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:00 am

r_brotheridge wrote:Issuing a stab vest would make officers look even more like PC's
Yea and that would bother you if you were in hospital after a brutal knife attack? i think not matey! :!:

r_brotheridge
Executive Member
Executive Member

Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:17 am

Raz wrote:
r_brotheridge wrote:Issuing a stab vest would make officers look even more like PC's
Yea and that would bother you if you were in hospital after a brutal knife attack? i think not matey! :!:
in all honesty if i were in hospital after a "brutal knife attack" it's quite probable a stab vest would have done nothing for me except added extra weight to me and prevented me from being on my toes out of there.

Grinner_82
Official Member
Official Member

Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:11 pm

Iven though we are in a non conflict roll we are a member of the police force and as such people out there wont like you. sometimes incidents happen out of your control and having a vest is there for out own protection. we have to wear ours it is not optional and I for one would not leave the station with out one. Its common sence from a health and saftey point of view. we wear it under out uniform and it can not be the outer layer so it looks no different to not wearing one.

safety
Registered Member
Registered Member

Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:42 pm

Grinner_82 wrote:Iven though we are in a non conflict roll we are a member of the police force and as such people out there wont like you. sometimes incidents happen out of your control and having a vest is there for out own protection. we have to wear ours it is not optional and I for one would not leave the station with out one. Its common sence from a health and saftey point of view. we wear it under out uniform and it can not be the outer layer so it looks no different to not wearing one.
That is not a bad idea at all, having the stab plates (with a thin covering) underneath your uniform.

Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:38 pm

:
Liz Ingham
Branch Secretary
UNISON

if you carry out your role the way the Force expect you to, then Body Armour will not be required

Ref the above I went to a welfare check the male inside answered the door with a large knife in his hand ,no need for body armour!!! Im glad I had mine on even tho I managed to calm the chap down.Alot of people dont look at what is on your badge the just see a uniform!!!!

PCSO Bham

Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:14 pm

R_BROTHERIDGE

It is people like you who the CC's listen to with your narrow minded views on wether PCSO's should be issued with Stab Proof vests or not. Am i right in thinking you only have around 8 months service?? you are a sprogg with no idea. who talks rubbish. 97% of stabbings are in the mid section of the body and chest area. = a stab vest would save your life!!

as i have read in this forum 'it is better to have one and not need it' -'than to need one and not have one'.

And before you ask i have no intention of joining the police! and do my job to the letter! but i have still been kicked punched stamped on and attacked on duty.

i don't mean to be blunt but there is a reason why most PCSO's in wmp want stab vests. do you patrol the sleepy hollows of solihull and sutton coldfield? some of us walk round nechells, handsworth, aston, ladywood and winson green where gang, gun and knife culture are rife.

r_brotheridge
Executive Member
Executive Member

Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:34 pm

PCSO Bham wrote:R_BROTHERIDGE

It is people like you who the CC's listen to with your narrow minded views on wether PCSO's should be issued with Stab Proof vests or not. Am i right in thinking you only have around 8 months service?? you are a sprogg with no idea. who talks rubbish. 97% of stabbings are in the mid section of the body and chest area. = a stab vest would save your life!!

as i have read in this forum 'it is better to have one and not need it' -'than to need one and not have one'.

And before you ask i have no intention of joining the police! and do my job to the letter! but i have still been kicked punched stamped on and attacked on duty.

i don't mean to be blunt but there is a reason why most PCSO's in wmp want stab vests. do you patrol the sleepy hollows of solihull and sutton coldfield? some of us walk round nechells, handsworth, aston, ladywood and winson green where gang, gun and knife culture are rife.
"you are a sprogg with no idea. who talks rubbish." who the hell are you to make a comment like this? have you ever met me? do you know anything about me? I think the answer is NO, i fully accept that some officers would like a stab vest, just personally i don't think we need one, i don't think there is anything narrow minded about that, i have listened to the debates and appreciate BOTH SIDES which where i come from is quite open minded.

and as for where i patrol, i patrol Small Heath, on the D3 which happens to be the busiest ocu on the force for stuff like violent crime and the 3rd busiest command in the country, so before you launch into a personal attack, next time i'd appreciate you learn a bit about me first, and although i haven't got a lot of time in, i have really thrown myself into the role, and i have dealt with a lot of things, i have stop checked quite a few of the UTS (if you have access to briefing check them out) on my own, so again, please get your facts straight.

safety
Registered Member
Registered Member

Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:37 pm

PCSO Bham wrote:R_BROTHERIDGE

PCSO Bham,

I would be very interested to know more facts about you being punched, kicked and stamped on during duty time as a PCSO, as there are no recorded assaults of this nature on PCSOs. Feel free to PM with me the details or i can pass on my details so that you can send me communications internally with the Crime Number etc etc.

What you have to understand PCSO Bham is that if there are no recorded assaults of this nature it can only mean you are not following protocol which is to complete the relevant H&S forms - not completing them is not conducive to you wanting more protection...think outside the box.

If HQ do not have the statistics of such instances then they have nothing to work from and are led to believe there is not a problem.

Similarly as PCs we are meant to complete a 'Use of force' form when drawing PPE - this mereley demonstrates a need for the equipment, therefore giving HQ and the Home Office statistics to work with.

I hope that i have made all the above relatively easy to understrand but please feel free to PM or reply if there is anyhing you are unsure of.

As for your direct comments to r_brotheridge of
It is people like you who the CC's listen to with your narrow minded views
and
are a sprogg with no idea. who talks rubbish

I would like to take this oppourtunity to add that R_brotheridge does not talk rubbish and is not narrow minded. From his posts and the time i have known him on here he does take on board other peoples views and ideas, if you take the time to read some of his posts you will see this is the case, he is one of the participants of this forum that tends to have a logical way of posting as opposed to posting with feelings only.

I admit am unaware of your previous work or experience but correct me if im wrong PCSO Bham but PCSOs in West Mids have been around little over three years, and had you been in the first intake just over 3 years ago this does not give you alot of service yourself.

Just so you are aware of my experiences, i was a PCSO on a very busy birmingham based OCU for 18 months and have been a PC for 6 months which gives me around 2 years with the West Mids and i too hold a view not too disimilar to R_brotheridge so please feel free to question my views and thoughts also, what i do ask is though that you do this logically and professionally without personal attacks.

Safety :D

PCSO bro

Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:18 pm

Although I am not as opinionated as PCSO Bham. I must agree with him/her on the issue of stab vests for us. We all no statistics mean nothing and can be easily manipulated to look better.

Anyways. Anyone no when standard powers are coming into play??

I heard september. we might get vests then.

r_brotheridge
Executive Member
Executive Member

Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:26 pm

I have no objection to people agreeing/diasgreeing with me, at the end of the day that's your opinion and you are entitled to it, i have mine, and unlike some people i am not trying to force it upon anybody by using personal attacks and such like, which is what i object to.

James
Registered Member
Registered Member

Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:02 pm

I work for surrey as a pcso and i dont particualry feel that i need a stab vest. Ive worked in several areas of East Surrey and in none of them yet have i been in a situation where a stab vest felt necessary. We dont seem to have a problem with youths carrying knives, at least not in most of East surrey. IHC knows our powers and equipment and is very good at only deploying us to jobs within our remit.
I imagine if i ever get stabbed then my opinion will change! But for now, in my own experience it isnt needed in surrey in the areas ive worked in, of course things could always change. Soon i will be working in another area again, which has more of a reputation for youths with weapons so maybe my experiences and opinions will change after that.

Jemma_Louise
Registered Member
Registered Member

Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:38 pm

safety wrote: I would like to take this oppourtunity to add that R_brotheridge does not talk rubbish and is not narrow minded. From his posts and the time i have known him on here he does take on board other peoples views and ideas.....
i second that
DOING MY TRAINING ........

THANKS JAY + RICH 4 UR SUPPORT!!!

r_brotheridge
Executive Member
Executive Member

Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:16 pm

isn't it funny how that person hasn't been back on to insult me some more, hmm, i wonder why?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic