What can I expect on a typical shift??

This is the only section of forums that is accessable to the public. All the other forums are "locked." Access to further forums becomes immediately available upon registering.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

pippie
Registered Member
Registered Member

What can I expect on a typical shift??

Post by pippie » Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:29 pm

Hi everyone I'm fairly new here and I'm starting my pcso training on the 11th of September with Cumbria Constabulary. I have a rough idea of the role of the pcso but could anyone enlighten me any further on what to expect on a typical day.

Much appreciated
Pippie.

Marlon
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: What can I expect on a typical shift??

Post by Marlon » Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:05 pm

pippie wrote:Hi everyone I'm fairly new here and I'm starting my pcso training on the 11th of September with Cumbria Constabulary. I have a rough idea of the role of the pcso but could anyone enlighten me any further on what to expect on a typical day.

I'm sure everybody will have something different with which to reply ...

A typical day for me would be something like:

:arrow: Get in the office and check email/log entries for jobs which have been passed on to me, or to view overnight events that might be relevant. Make sure my pocket notebook (PNB) is up to date, complete any outstanding paperwork if possible.

:arrow: Make for my beat area ... by walking, getting the bus or getting a lift. Do any jobs that need doing (see above,) visit community centres, local shops and the like - "walking and talking." (and accepting all cuppas when offered, too.)

:arrow: Either go back to the office for bait or eat "out" in a community centre or similar.

:arrow: More foot patrol, before going in for the end of shift.

Having said that, it's very rare to do a full day which is as simple as the above. Sometimes we're tasked in advance for particular jobs at particular times, or to go to meetings, attend courts, secure scenes of crime, get involved in door-to-door enquiries, or to deal with initial complaints made by members of the public while we're out and about - which can range from fairly minor to pretty serious stuff.

I expect Cumbria will be pretty similar to Durham in that it's a rural force covering only a few real centres of population, but your typical day will depend mainly on where you work ... e.g. working in Carlisle town will be vastly different to working in little villages out in the sticks.

Good luck.

stu
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by stu » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:20 pm

Marlon is right, depending if your beat is a quiet village or like me in a busy town centre! Must admit i never get bored but i like my beat and being busy suits me. :)

Good luck pippie in your new job and well done.
Remember he who dare's wins (only fools and horses)

What you see is not always what you get!

Jimmy_bobby
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Jimmy_bobby » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:28 pm

As stated above, it all depends on where you work and your supervisors.

A typical day for me would start with checking my emails, booking on duty, looking over the serials from the night before.

Then taking a walk to my local beat area, talking to the store owners, security staff, collecting CCTV, possibly conducting area searches for wanted or missing persons, seizing alcohol from a few street drinkers, telling youths to behave. Asking beggers to move away from cash points.

Heading back for some scrum, then back on the streets, depending on what jobs we have for that day we could also be doing anything from serving ABC’s or ASBO’s on people issuing witness summons’s guarding a crime scene or trying to resolve some random neighbourhood problems.

But again every day is different.

This job really is whatever you make it, there are plenty of people I work with who couldn’t care less about there local community, again there are also people who go out of there way to make a difference and really try and resolve some of the major problems in there areas.

pippie
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by pippie » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:44 pm

Thanks thats really helpful, I'm based in quite a busy town so hopefully there will be plenty to keep me going each shift. I really can't wait to get stuck in with the community I get posted to after reading lots of different posts on here I've been quite inspired.

Its a great site and so informative.

Pippie.

leigh
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by leigh » Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:13 am

I love to read the positive posts like the ones above. Really makes you want to do the job even more.

I cant wait to get going with my training in October.

:D

Big Brother
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Examiner: XIII

Post by Big Brother » Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:19 am

Depends on your area, my patch covers 5 major trunk roads so I goto a dispropotionate number of serious RTCs when compared to city centre PCSO's.
PCSO's in the city probably do a lot more in the way of anti-vice/social behaviour operations than we do, it all depends on your location and how your boss utilises you.
Big brother is watching you.

Goldie5
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Goldie5 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:37 am

I've yet to have two similar days to compare! Typical is certainly not a word that could be used to describe my 5 beats.

Wednesday there was loads of youth disorder and we were having bottles thrown at us, Thursday we found a stolen car, hopefully to the joy of it's owner. Spent the weekend at a community clean-up event and last week was dragon boat racing with local good kids. Couple of weekends back spent two whole shifts preserving the scene following a shooting incident.

That's why I like the job, could certainly never go back to office work.

jedrick999
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by jedrick999 » Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:44 pm

Thursday shift 2 -10pm

get in the office get kitted up, booked on and check emails and see what has happened the night and day before..... check for taskings for my self door 2 door etc

15:30 - call recieved from M.O.P at my nick on teh teams mobile phone... suspects on... a old rectory.. attened with a pc with back up from traffic unit and 2 other units.... suspects made off before arrival.. check premises all clear and knock on a few doors and make contact with the church and try and find out who the owners r!!

Back to the nick to do more the above in relation to finding owners etc

Call to a criminal damage to a window (possible suspect same guy as a possible suspect for the suspects on) attend area for area search.....

booked in property for PC...

Gte crewed up with a Special in a car..... attened a police station to collect medication for some one in custody

more patrols with the special and deal with more criminal damages and act as a body guard for window repair man

mre patrols dealing with youths etc

22:00 off duty

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Post by falkor » Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:57 am

anybody else jot down a typical shift? :wink:

seang03uk
Rookie Member

Post by seang03uk » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:41 am

Tour of Duty 08.00x17.00hrs

- Enter station, sign on radio both police and town link shop radio
-foot patrol of local shops
- community visits
-deal with any calls on polcie radio or shop radio inc detained shoplifters, usually just attened for presence and conduct stop check and call for patrol
- refs
-patrol and anwser any calls for sevice

NBT001
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by NBT001 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:34 pm

Lots of variations of "a typical day" posted thus far. This variety is one of my primary reasons for applying in the first place. With only 8 days till my training starts I cant wait.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic