Periods of unemployment

This is the only section of forums that is accessable to the public. All the other forums are "locked." Access to further forums becomes immediately available upon registering.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

Periods of unemployment

Post by guest » Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:35 am

Hi , After much deliberation with myself I have decided to contribute to my community and apply to become a PCSO. I am thirty two years old and have worked as A Healthcare Assistant for the past Eight years. The doubt that is creeping into my mind is that since dropping out of my A levels at 17 years of age I was only gainfully employed from 1994 to 1995, apart from my current post which I started In 1998. I really found it very diffucult to find employment. I did some voluntary work and also attended training schemes within these blank periods, so I wasnt idle and sitting around waiting for my dole. I guess what Im asking is will this count against me when I apply? And everyone else advises to alternate working experiences, but my most important experiences that will relate to teamwork, diversity, and resilience etc have only really happened in my current post. Please advise. Thanx in advance

reikirabbit
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by reikirabbit » Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:48 am

Don't forget you have experience gained from voluntary work, & life in general. The PCSO application is unlike most in that there is no concern with formal qualifications, also the criteria for making a good community officer are what counts, not your employment history.

The process is rigorous, all relevant.

Good luck. I had an 8 year gap by the way!!

stu
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by stu » Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:53 am

The most important thing is life experience and how you deal with people, working as part of a team you have already answered so good luck mate and join the forum. There are some great people on here should you need any advice or just want to chat.
Remember he who dare's wins (only fools and horses)

What you see is not always what you get!

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:20 am

Many thanks for the ecouragement, I will sit down and work through my experiences. Can I become a member without actually being a PCSO? I do have some more relevant questions about my application and there is a wealth of experience on this site.

friz
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by friz » Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:26 pm

Hi again 'guest'.
Lots of us on here are not PCSOs, as we are going through the application process at the moment etc, so sign on up and join in the fun! ;)
MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU!

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:34 pm

Just received an email from merseyside police today apparently my caution when i was 14 will reject my application. Its over before it began! feel sick that i was stupid for 1 minute when I was a kid and its costing me dearly. Thanks everyone and good luck :(

danielswindells
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by danielswindells » Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:37 am

very strange,that was ages ago

reikirabbit
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by reikirabbit » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:20 am

what was??

Funny Boy
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Funny Boy » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:45 pm

reikirabbit wrote:what was??
The caution at the age of 14. :lol:

Hi Mr Guest.

Its very strange that Merseyside would even e-mail you to say that the caution would reject your application. :?
I'm almost certain this wouldn't go against you now at the ripe young age of 32 years. :roll: All depends what it was for, but a caution :?: Hmmm.

The vetting process is done on an individual bases, different circunstances warrant different approaches. How can they decide, then tell you on an e-mail that your application would be rejected. :wink:

I would still apply, be honest and put all your convictions down. Let recruitment decide. :P

Good luck.

reikirabbit
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by reikirabbit » Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:12 pm

i agree with Funny Boy. it strikes me as irregular to reject you by email. if it was informal advice rather than a rejection, perhaps the person wasn't aware of policy. good luck.

friz
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by friz » Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:09 pm

Yeah don't give up now! It might be that you spoke to the wrong person who was having a bad day! I've experienced so much conflicting advice from different people in the Met, that I don't take anything as gospel any more, so if you don't mind a bit of effort (remember that resilience is one of the core competencies!) I'd say give it a go! Good luck!
MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU!

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:22 pm

Heres what happened. I decided to get a tape from my fathers car which was parked outside my house. So when I entered the car I decided to listen to it. I switched on the ignition and I must have had my foot on the pedals and apparently my father had left it in gear. The whole car kangerood backwards and clipped another car. I was cautioned for this. I remember the police told me it shouldnt stop me applying for a job in the police as my father told them that was my ambition.

I emailed merseyside police with a general question " would the above mentioned caution cause my application to be rejected"

their reply:

Unfortunately that offence would prevent you from joining this organisation
either as support staff or as a Police Officer.

---------------------- Forwarded by Joan Jones/R&R/Notes on 02/01/2007
13:21 ---------------------------

I even received my pack today.

jimbo
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by jimbo » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:35 pm

I think you should just put in your application and let it run; I know both Police Officers and PCSOs with much worse convictions than that from their youth and young adulthood.

Put in your application regardless and mention in the provided section your caution and WHEN it was - I'm not sure what offence you committed but I can not see it being a problem. If it does create problems with your application then it should be grounds for appeal there.

Check out the Police Could You website: http://www.policecouldyou.co.uk/officers/eligible.html

It says there
"although you may still be eligible to join the police service if you have minor convictions/cautions, there are certain offences and conditions that will make you ineligible."
I seem to remember it says somewhere that cautions up to five years old will effect your application - a caution at 14 years when you are now 32 appears to fall outside of that category to me...
Does dim rhaid i chi ddweud dim byd. Ond gall niweidio eich amddiffyniad os na fyddwch chi’n son, wrth gael eich holi am rywbeth y byddwch chi’n dibynnu arno nes ymlaen yn y Llys. Gall unrhyw beth yr ydych yn ei ddweud gael ei roi fel tystiolaeth.

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:27 am

Ok after listenening to the encouraging remarks of you guys, Im going to fill in the form and let them decide if Im rejected or not. :lol:

I know im a pain but can anyone advise me on filling in the family info on the form. I was fostered at 18 months old and have lived with the same foster parents throughout, in fact I still live with them (they are my mum and dad if not biological) but their surnames are different to me. Do I fill in mother and father info for them or do I just put that they live in the same house as me and fill in their details that way and put mother and father info unknown?

Many thanks again I really do appreciate the support

stu
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by stu » Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:41 pm

Hi Guest,
I would put your foster parents down as your parents with a note that you have lived with them as your parents since 18 months old. I would also put down biological parents unkown. Saying that phone them up and ask for advice on filling in the form due to the above. Above all you wont lose anything by applying, also join this forum as you dont have to be a pcso to be a member. Good luck and let us know how you go.
Remember he who dare's wins (only fools and horses)

What you see is not always what you get!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic