What Age Do you think the role of a pcso should be open to?

This is the only section of forums that is accessable to the public. All the other forums are "locked." Access to further forums becomes immediately available upon registering.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

Dazmacaz

What Age Do you think the role of a pcso should be open to?

Post by Dazmacaz » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:46 pm

Just wondering guys your views on what age the role of a pcso should be open to... CHEERS DAZ

Dazmacaz

Post by Dazmacaz » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:10 pm

Just to add a little bit to my orginal posting, the reason ive sent this posting out is because ive noticed some very young PCSOS, especially in the BTP Ranks, such as Waterloo and London Bridge Stations. At this time when terrorism is amongst us, I fear when I see these PCSOS, I just think "what are they going to do"...

flash_ah
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flash_ah » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:41 pm

I think its less of an issue of age, more about maturity and responsibility. Some people reach that alot earlier than others. I think if an 18 year old can demonstrate the necessary attributes during the recruitment process than thats fine, sign them up. Not all people that age can. I know people over the age of 30 who are no way near mature enough to do the job.

I joined when I was 20, and I know there are people out there who think thats too young, but I don't care because I made sure I could back it up by being bloody good at my job.

I know some forces allow 16yr olds to join up, and at the risk of sounding hypocritical, I personally think thats too young. Reason being that a fair chunk of the work PCSO's do involves alcohol, and officers who arn't old enough to drink themselves will be up for alot of stick if they ever try and confiscate it.

THEdarkKNIGHT
Official Member
Official Member
Class: 'Holy Avenger'
Alignment: 'Thunder'
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by THEdarkKNIGHT » Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:34 pm

yep wmp employe 16 yrs olds but the youngest we have at the mo it 17 .
THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE

mj12cz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by mj12cz » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:13 am

I think it should be 18, however I know what you are saying as I work with a 21 year old lad and he makes me cringe!

I think it comes down to personality, I also know an 18 year old who is mature and good at the job.
"Its a mother beautiful bridge and its going to be there"

Save the cheer leader, save the world.....

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

mj12cz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by mj12cz » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:14 am

THEdarkKNIGHT wrote:yep wmp employe 16 yrs olds but the youngest we have at the mo it 17 .
How can they take alcohol off under 18's if they are under 18???
"Its a mother beautiful bridge and its going to be there"

Save the cheer leader, save the world.....

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

THEdarkKNIGHT
Official Member
Official Member
Class: 'Holy Avenger'
Alignment: 'Thunder'
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by THEdarkKNIGHT » Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:08 am

i really dont know and i know i could not have done this job at that age. i think min should be 18 to 21
THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE

TJR
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by TJR » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:40 pm

18 and over.

Why should the young be subject to practices that would be discriminatory if directed to an older person?

I remember shearing an adage 'its not how old you are, its what you know'.

And this 'life experience' talk is generally a lot of rubbish at times. Many 18-25 year olds may have worked for nearly 10 years, in fields such asmental health/care, labouring or gone through uni, served in the military, cared for families, volunteered for charities, have families themselves whilst a 40 year old may have been in the same job for 24 years, lived in the same home, etc.

Let's not forget that being a PCSO is a great way of providing life experience too.

We need a vibrant mix of ages and skills.

Gforceuk
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Gforceuk » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:45 pm

Should be 21 and over...

TheRunningMan2006
Official Member
Official Member

Post by TheRunningMan2006 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:18 am

I think if the age at the moment was 21, people would then believe that was too young.

Thankfully it isn't, I was a PCSO at 18 and a PC at 19. I was dam good at my job as a PCSO too, I could reach kids in our community no one else could, enabling me to gather much more intel.

Judge a person by who they are, not their age.

ruben
Navigator
Navigator

Post by ruben » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:02 am

runningman, i completely agree. i can reach kids in my community that other pcsos have real difficulty doing. i work with some pcsos in their 40s who see all kids as troublemakers, and stop check the same group 2 or 3 times in a day. all the kids and teenagers have a bit crack with me, and know they can approach me and tell me anything because they can trust me. some of them think im their friends more than anything, being on first name terms, and when they tell me who is supplying them alcohol and their odd packet of grass, they think it wont go any further. :wink:

im only 20. i am the youngest in my area command, and there is around 50 of us. most are around 30, and i know alot who are absolutely terrible at the job. its got nothing to do with age, its all about life experience as said before. if you cnt demonstrate that in the interview stages, then you wont get the job!
Constable of 6 years, previously PCSO 18 months

Tomobtb

Min Age Of PCSO'S

Post by Tomobtb » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:45 am

:D Hee hee don't know if any of you saw that Thames Valley have just confirmed Two 16 yr olds in rank of PCSO's... i'm all for PCSO's but i just think yhese guys are going to have such a tough time in and out of the nick.. Trying to prove to their colleagues that they can do the job, and probably battling with being treated like a child, and that's before they have even stepped out onto the streets. A 16 yr old telling a group of 17/18 years olds to move on or taking away alcohol... well good luck to them...i wonder if there uniform was supplied by mamas and papas. :P [/quote]

Hysteria
Elite Member
Elite Member
Class: 'Night Summoner'
Alignment: 'Vampire'

Post by Hysteria » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:02 pm

21 and over that goes for police officers as well I'm sorry but I could not and would not take a 16/17 year old pcso seriously

for a police officer or pcso role you need a bit of life experience under ya belt if you are going to deal with different sections of the community ..

They can be taught most things in a classroom not life experience

Headset 57
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Headset 57 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:28 pm

Youngest at Waterloo was 19, he's now 21!.
BTP do have quite a few young PCSO's who then go onto the Job itself as a PC, kinda good investment.
'You can always find a Question for an Answer
But you can't always find an Answer for a Question'

SierraOscar
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by SierraOscar » Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:30 pm

21 and over.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic