shifts

This is the only section of forums that is accessable to the public. All the other forums are "locked." Access to further forums becomes immediately available upon registering.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

mrs_miggins

shifts

Post by mrs_miggins » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:12 pm

Does anyone else feel a little miffed/missled about the shifts they are expected to do now they have started the job? When I was reading up on what sort of hours where involved when I was applying, the PR/examples of serving PCSOs said stuff like "The earliest we start is 8 o'clock, and the latest is 8 at night" etc.
I expected to maybe work one saturday in 3 or something, but I work every other saturday, and it works out that more than 50% of my shift pattern is lates (3-11) including a 3pm-1am on every other saturday. To be honest I would have thought twice about applying if I'd know these shifts in advance...I just feel we have been a bit missled.

sueb
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by sueb » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:54 pm

when i applied 2 1/2 yrs ago we did perminent 4-midnights this at the time i thought was great as all the disorder was happening when i was on duty...

we then changed to the NBM shift pattern & i was a bit miffed but i realised most of our shift were yes lates
and i thought what the heck am i ment to do on days but i got used to it and now have plenty of tea spots and still get the youth disorder on my late shifts.

i was even more miffed when i realised i lost money due to the shift change most of us were NOT impressed but im used to it now.

tony
Official Member
Official Member

Re: shifts

Post by tony » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:02 pm

mrs_miggins wrote:Does anyone else feel a little miffed/missled about the shifts they are expected to do now they have started the job? When I was reading up on what sort of hours where involved when I was applying, the PR/examples of serving PCSOs said stuff like "The earliest we start is 8 o'clock, and the latest is 8 at night" etc.
I expected to maybe work one saturday in 3 or something, but I work every other saturday, and it works out that more than 50% of my shift pattern is lates (3-11) including a 3pm-1am on every other saturday. To be honest I would have thought twice about applying if I'd know these shifts in advance...I just feel we have been a bit missled.
thing is im sure they always state that they cant guarantee any shift pattern and you will work as and when you are needed. policing obviuosly isnt a 9 to 5 job and you must have known you were going to work odd hours? i know you said you were pulled in by the advertsing and promotion but it must have ben obvious?
Last edited by tony on Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joeyspoons
Committee Member
Committee Member
Class: 'Night Summoner'
Alignment: 'Lightning'
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by joeyspoons » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:27 pm

All York NPT dedicated do 3 earlies 8 - 5 Except for 2 days a month we do 8 - 4, and then 3 lates 1 - 10. so its 6 on 4 off.
NORTHERN SOUL Its a way of Life

Winston Churchill. (Quote)
"Sir you are Drunk"
"Yes Madam and you are UGLY"
"But in the morning i will be SOBER"

Carpe Diem

mrs_miggins

Post by mrs_miggins » Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:20 am

thing is im sure they always state that they cant guarantee any shift pattern and you will work as and when you are needed. policing obviuosly isnt a 9 to 5 job and you must have known you were going to work odd hours? i know you said you were pulled in by the advertsing and promotion but it must have ben obvious?
Obviously I realised it wasn't a 9-5 job and i expected to work a few evenings, but I just didnt expect the amount of lates we do, which amount to every other day and having to work every other saturday. I would have been quite happy with doing some earlies (which we never do. )

Gualsa
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Gualsa » Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:03 am

mrs_miggins wrote: Obviously I realised it wasn't a 9-5 job and i expected to work a few evenings, but I just didnt expect the amount of lates we do, which amount to every other day and having to work every other saturday. I would have been quite happy with doing some earlies (which we never do. )
If your SNT requires the same coverage all day (including weekends) then it would make sense that you work half lates/half earlies and every other weekend. You may be able to swap your way to more earlies and less weekends? Or make sure you take A/L around the area in your shift pattern where you do the most lates.. :wink:

ANTHONY C
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by ANTHONY C » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:26 pm

I have just got my rota and think it is great i work seven days straight two days off three days on two days off then five days on two days off that is a three week rota i think its great i get two weekens off every three.
Regards
Anthony

NBT001
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by NBT001 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:54 pm

I'm not "in" yet but I do work shifts- 12 hour days/nights
3days on, 2 nights on then 5 off
2days on, 3 nights on then 5 off
2 "standby" weeks where I will work any 7 shifts (days or nights as required) out of 14

Obviously this is a condenced working pattern & it's great - I work 50% of my time & thats before I take any A/L or toil

kizzy_k
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by kizzy_k » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:59 pm

i hope i get mostly lates.
i hate mornings.

ANTHONY C
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by ANTHONY C » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:12 pm

I prefer mornings.
Regards
Anthony

ANTHONY C
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by ANTHONY C » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:23 am

Still loving my shifts but i am now waiting for a transfer to dagenham, not sure what there shifts are like anyone know?
Regards
Anthony

DANGEROUS TIGER
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by DANGEROUS TIGER » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:00 pm

The latest we work to is 11pm. and that is only once in six weeks.
LIVE WELL, DIE WELL

DANGEROUS TIGER
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by DANGEROUS TIGER » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:00 pm

The latest we work to is 11pm. and that is only once in six weeks.
LIVE WELL, DIE WELL

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic