Anyone heard the rumours of CS spray

This is the only section of forums that is accessable to the public. All the other forums are "locked." Access to further forums becomes immediately available upon registering.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

DOGMA
Executive Officer
Executive Officer
Class: 'Bounty Hunter'
Alignment: 'Shadow'
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Anyone heard the rumours of CS spray

Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:31 pm

Hi all, during a recent training day, one of the tutors let slip that PCSO'S may be shortly issued and trained with CS Spray.
Anyone heard anything similar
regards
dogma

Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:38 pm

No, and I doubt it would ever be issued to PCSO's as it is a sec 5 firearm and we are supposed to be non confrontational.

cartmansmom
Official Member
Official Member

Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:40 pm

Sorry,wasn't signed in :(

No, and I doubt it would ever be issued to PCSO's as it is a sec 5 firearm and we are supposed to be non confrontational.
When you go into court . . . you are in the hands of twelve people that aren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.

Headset 57
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:12 pm

cartmansmom wrote:Sorry,wasn't signed in :(

S.5 firerams has nothing to do with it. Forget the fireams bit, it'as irrelevant, you'd still be trained the same as a PC, so there's no problem at all in being issued, and we're allowed to by law, just that no C./C. has taken up that option too ( yet )!.
If you were to get a bat then you should get the spray first. It's the next move up in the conflict mode; hands, gas, bat, ( gun ).
'You can always find a Question for an Answer
But you can't always find an Answer for a Question'

Jimmy_bobby
Elite Member
Elite Member

Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:38 am

We were told the same by our OST trainers a while back, nothing materialised though.

It will happen in the future I’m sure, not for a while but eventually, after one of us is killed probably, then the debates start and the media clock on, then we get it.

cartmansmom
Official Member
Official Member

Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:55 am

Headset 57 wrote:
cartmansmom wrote:Sorry,wasn't signed in :(

S.5 firerams has nothing to do with it. Forget the fireams bit, it'as irrelevant, you'd still be trained the same as a PC, so there's no problem at all in being issued, and we're allowed to by law, just that no C./C. has taken up that option too ( yet )!.
If you were to get a bat then you should get the spray first. It's the next move up in the conflict mode; hands, gas, bat, ( gun ).
1)I didn't know we were allowed to by law, having been issued CS when I was a PC I was under the impression it was unlawful for a civilian to carry it, happy to carry it though if issued.

2)I would have thought it would go........Handcuffs...Baton........CS, if anything.
When you go into court . . . you are in the hands of twelve people that aren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.

mattd
Committee Member
Committee Member

Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:01 pm

It could lawfully be issued to PCSOs as they would have the same lawful authority and exemption as Constables would.

The reality is the same rumor goes around every year.
These are my views and are not representative of the Police service with which i serve....plus most of what i say is pretty useless anyway :-)

flash_ah
Executive Member
Executive Member

Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:10 pm

If you had CS you'd need cuffs first. Anybody who needs CSing will also need arresting and you can't CS somebody and then do a runner.

jambo
Official Member
Official Member

Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:59 pm

trainers seem to let slip this exact thing on a regular basis. i expect theyre sat back now reading these sites chuckling to themselves.
however i would not be adverse to carrying something that could protect me if i was to come across an agressive situation.

example... walk round the corner and a man is standing there with a knife. were told to stand back and report. however what if this nutter starts to come for you? we run away? well im not the fastest athlete and wouldnt particularly want to turn my back on a lunatic.

flash_ah
Executive Member
Executive Member

Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:33 pm

jambo wrote:however i would not be adverse to carrying something that could protect me if i was to come across an agressive situation.
If you were only given one, you'd be better off with a baton, they work on everybody! Incapacitants are a brilliant tool to have, but they are not effective on eveyone all the time.

jambo
Official Member
Official Member

Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:51 pm

dont you thin batons are a bit too agressive for our role. i would rather use cs spray than whacking someone over the head with a baton a few times, less consequences.

brianb
Elite Member
Elite Member

Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:57 pm

You shouldn't aim for a red zone though.

Gualsa
Elite Member
Elite Member

Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:39 pm

I thought CS was used in detaining a resisting subject. If most PCSOs in the UK do not have the power to detain anyone why would they issue it?

It seems counter productive to issue lots of equipment to an officer who is primarily walking as this is just extra weight to carry.

cartmansmom
Official Member
Official Member

Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:44 pm

I'm sure I could manage a 4 ounce can of CS on my belt 8)

Headset 57
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:57 pm

brianb wrote:You shouldn't aim for a red zone though.
Depends on your last breath.
Ihit the red zone round the neck after i put in 2 strikes to his ankle ( which i broke ) as he was strangling my buddy in the road with both arms round his neck.
The last thing my mate remembers was the black cab screeching to a halt at his head and it took 6 PC's to drag the guy off him, allthough one kicked him in the head; that worked.

My mate ended up in a&e with concussion and 2 broke ribs for 2 weeks.
The suspect got 21 days.
'You can always find a Question for an Answer
But you can't always find an Answer for a Question'

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic