A novel about PCSOs (free copy)

Recommend your best Amazon Products here and add your own review!
paulwojnicki
Registered Member
Registered Member

A novel about PCSOs (free copy)

Post by paulwojnicki » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:39 pm

Hi guys,
My name is Paul Wojnicki, author of No Cure for Baldness and Soberphobia. I spent seven years working alongside PCSOs from West Yorkshire Police and have recently published a new novel called Plastics.

Don't be offended by the title, the book is in no way derogatory. It is merely a light hearted romp following the exploits of three Community Support Officers, one of which is busy breaking the law at every available opportunity.

The book does have a serious side though and seeks to educate the reader on the role of PCSOs and the ridiculousness of the negative publicity thrown at them by certain tabloid newspapers.

The book is available free as a kindle download for another day or two before the initial promotion ends. If you haven't got a kindle you can download the app for your phone or PC. It's also available in paperback on Amazon for £5.99.

I hope those of you that download it enjoy the book.
Paul

tonkertoy
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Re: A novel about PCSOs (free copy)

Post by tonkertoy » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:56 pm

Without reading this, it sound's like a pile of CRAP !!!!!!!!!!!
Has anyone read it ????????????

PI & GI
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by PI & GI » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:48 pm

I have not read this, but surely the author would perhaps be aware that after 'working' alongside us for 7 years as quoted, then maybe the title 'plastics' is not the best title as it immediatley gives the wrong idea! My perception in his post is that he wants the readers to be aware of the role and what we do, well the title don't help!
WHO LOVES YA BABY! (KOJAK)

PI & GI
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by PI & GI » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:57 pm

Product Description
"It's like I always say, if you get caught you're a rapist, but if you get away with it you're a f***ing legend." The Beastmaster.

Bully, homophobe, rapist, liar. Why waste such talents? A career in the police force beckons. PCSO Nolan, AKA The Beastmaster loves his job, what better cover for a career criminal than working for West Yorkshire's finest? But when a young boy drowns at a local beauty spot the press waste no time in accusing him and his colleague, PCSO Hisky, for standing idly by and watching him die.

While Hisky slides further into depression and self loathing following the death, Nolan returns to doing what he does best; theiving, date raping, blackmailing and stitching up his colleagues.

Then a chance meeting at a local dogging hotspot promises to make Nolan a very rich man indeed. After all it's not every day you find the England football captain engaged in sexual activity with another man.

ok , sound like a great read??? i will rate it

PI & GI
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by PI & GI » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:05 pm

Ok, here's some real positive critism from a real PCSO.

I have read about two thirds of this 'book'. Whilst I appreciate and understand how the writer has tried to separate real events and perhaps the people linked with these events by using false names which is fine but the grammar and story telling is poor, each 'scenario' seems to jump from one to another which makes it seem like he has just catalogued incidents and put his 'story telling' angle on it. It does not make sense and is actually derogatory to the PCSO role as a whole. Good effort though, come back after another try with some more meat to the bone and maybe some more facts.

Bert Moffat
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Bert Moffat » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:23 pm

PI & GI wrote: I have read about two thirds of this 'book'.

Not a big book then?

paulwojnicki
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by paulwojnicki » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:02 pm

PI & GI wrote:I have not read this, but surely the author would perhaps be aware that after 'working' alongside us for 7 years as quoted, then maybe the title 'plastics' is not the best title as it immediatley gives the wrong idea! My perception in his post is that he wants the readers to be aware of the role and what we do, well the title don't help!
Me thinks you are a little uptight there PI and GI, I have worked with, literally, hundreds of PCSOs over the last seven years, appearing in the documentary CCTV Cities with them for two episodes, and a good percentage of them call each other "plastic" in the same way that A/C males often use the N word. It IS derogatory when used in a derogatory manner but NOT when used in jest or fondness. Please appreciate the difference.

paulwojnicki
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by paulwojnicki » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:07 pm

PI & GI wrote:Ok, here's some real positive critism from a real PCSO.

I have read about two thirds of this 'book'. Whilst I appreciate and understand how the writer has tried to separate real events and perhaps the people linked with these events by using false names which is fine but the grammar and story telling is poor, each 'scenario' seems to jump from one to another which makes it seem like he has just catalogued incidents and put his 'story telling' angle on it. It does not make sense and is actually derogatory to the PCSO role as a whole. Good effort though, come back after another try with some more meat to the bone and maybe some more facts.
The novel is told from 4 viewpoints in the same way that well known authors such as Irvine Welsh wrote Trainspotting (read it instead of watching the film), hence the disjointedness.

As for the grammar, surely you've realised by 2/3rds of the way through that the book is written as if narrated by the characters. It's written in the way that these characters would speak when telling a story in a pub! Each character is telling his version of the story in his VOICE. That's literature.

I can accept constructive criticism, but please note the above before slagging off my grammar.

paulwojnicki
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by paulwojnicki » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:15 pm

Bert Moffat wrote:
PI & GI wrote: I have read about two thirds of this 'book'.

Not a big book then?
The paperback is 236 pages long. I take it as a great compliment that he has read two thirds of the book in a a couple of days.

:slbell:

Bert Moffat
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Bert Moffat » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:09 am

paulwojnicki wrote: The paperback is 236 pages long. I take it as a great compliment that he has read two thirds of the book in a a couple of days.
Seven minutes actually

Big Brother
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Examiner: XIII

Post by Big Brother » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:28 am

I don't have a kindle, so I can't even download it. Why not publish as epub/pdf/doc or something all ebooks can use...?
Big brother is watching you.

paulwojnicki
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by paulwojnicki » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:37 am

Bert Moffat wrote:
paulwojnicki wrote: The paperback is 236 pages long. I take it as a great compliment that he has read two thirds of the book in a a couple of days.
Seven minutes actually
That's a good point actually. PI and GI, if you hadn't read the book at 8:48, then stated that you would rate it at 8:57, then had read 2/3 of it at 9:05 you must either be the worlds quickest reader or not actually read the book. Are you sure you didn't download a sample? Or did you just skim the book?

If you read the book properly and until the end you will note that, even though two of the PCSOs solve a very serious crime, the media still give them it with both barrels. Just as they do at the beginning even though the PCSOs didn't actually watch the boy drown as reported.

paulwojnicki
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by paulwojnicki » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:44 am

Big Brother wrote:I don't have a kindle, so I can't even download it. Why not publish as epub/pdf/doc or something all ebooks can use...?
You can download a free kindle app for your smartphone or computer.

Big Brother
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Examiner: XIII

Post by Big Brother » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:34 am

I managed it. I've read to chapter 6.....

Oh my word. Good on you for writing something, but really? Do I really want to read about some moron masturbating over a 14 year old girl and all the slags he f***s? No thanks.
Big brother is watching you.

paulwojnicki
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by paulwojnicki » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:57 am

Big Brother wrote:I managed it. I've read to chapter 6.....

Oh my word. Good on you for writing something, but really? Do I really want to read about some moron masturbating over a 14 year old girl and all the slags he f***s? No thanks.
Don't worry, he gets his comeuppance.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic