Applying to be a Met PCSO, but am EXTREMELY scared!! :(

Only start new topics in this area IF you are applying for PCSO, not PC not Special JUST applying for PCSO!!
Beta89
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Re: Applying to be a Met PCSO, but am EXTREMELY scared!! :(

Post by Beta89 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:26 pm

Its all turned out ok luckily... :)

Ive got the job fully now with offical contract and stuff, and its been going quite well.

It is fun and the pay (26.5k per year) is good, but i would still prefer to move into a frontline police role instead where i could do actual 'hands-on' police work,
since all im actually doing at the moment is basically co-ordinating PCs and PCSOs around the town through the radio link,
and through town-link radio.

So no hand-on stuff. :(

Still not heard back from the Police about my PCSO application though.

billymcdafthead
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by billymcdafthead » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:03 pm

Hi there Beta, I am glad to hear everything turned out OK for you. I have yet to hear from the Met. It has been 8 weeks and I was told 10-12 weeks, so only 2 weeks before I could POSSIBLY hear.

Cheers
Billy

Post by Guest » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:08 pm

*Update*

I got a letter from the police about 3weeks ago now asking if i could phone them regarding my application.

I called them the next day and spoke to a lady in their recruitment department, and foundout it was just that they needed to get the exact dates that i had worked in the various jobs id done (mainly self-employed).

(As on my form id just given the months, but not exact day-dates).

I sent the form back in mid march, and its now mid June, so hopefully this means that ive atleast managed to pass the paper-sift... :)
And not that they have had so many applications that its taken 3months just to work through the pile to getting to mine.. lol

I gave the dates, and asked the lady about how long it would be till i heard back from them?
And she told me it would be between 2-6weeks.

However im not sure exactly what it is that is going on now ith my application, that im waiting to hear back about.

Since one of my friends who is near the end stages of his application as met pcso said that the process was that he applied, got letter inviting him to interview, got letter saying he had passed and inviting him to medical and fitness, got letter saying he had passed them, and that vetting had been passed.
And giving him the date for his 2days training and aksing him to give the name and address of 2 people he would liek to use as references.

So i am rather scared about how comes i havent been given my interview date yet, after 4months. :(

In relation to my other current job though, things are going extremely badly now.. :(

The boss (and 6 of the 8 other people who work there and act as my supervisor) bully me constantly every 10 t 15minutes, for about 5minutes at each occassion, every hour of everyday. :(

(They make sure that when PCs come in to do tape reviews though, and when the inspectors come in to give us briefings about known faces and recent offences committed and if they are currently wanted, that they all then just ignore me and dont swear and shout and call me abusing insulting names).
But as soon as the police officers leave its back to normal. :(

And ive now been put onto extremely crappy hours 8pm-4am most nights, so i have a 2hour wait till 1st bus or train of the day after work each day,
and my hours reduced from 56 p/w to just 37 i now earn under 18k per year instead of the 26k id initially been told id be on. :(

So thinsg aren't going very well at all currently in my life, and im just spending all day everyday waiting and hoping till my dream finally comes true and i get accepted into the police as a pcso. :slcud: :slluvv:

Can i just check 1thing though,
the work/school history that you give on the form when you 1st apply,
do they actually contact all those people and ask for references??? :sloop: :sloop: :( :(

Or do they give you a choice nearer the later stages of choosing a few references yourself??

Its just because for my current job i foundout that my personal tutor form the college that i had gone to gave an extremely nasty personal reference about me ''off-record''.

And so i really really dont want to be using him as a reference for this.

Thanks, and sorry it was such a long read again. lol X

Post by Guest » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:32 pm

This is such a wind up. Someone with this many issues re: patience, anxiety and self esteem shouldn't be working for the police anyway.

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Post by falkor » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:51 am

Guest 1 - you wish to be a PCSO but you currently already work for the Police and are working with PCs in the nick from the sound of it

Working 56 hours a week should never be the norm - your private life is more important, you work to live not the other way around :slww: good luck going for PCSO but you are going to have to be more assertive my friend

Guest 2 - many valid points have been highlighted by Guest 1 - they are welcome here

BOTH GUESTS, please register on the site, you can choose a random username so that you can't be identified if you want!!

Sirgerbil
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Sirgerbil » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:41 pm

Anyone who applied for the Met around April/May time heard anything back yet about papersifts?

Papersifts should be done by now :O
Met PCSO Candidate!

Papersift passed : ?

billymcdafthead
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by billymcdafthead » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:25 pm

Hi there beta. I was bullied in my first job. Don't let anyone bully you, just think if you do get into the police, your going places, where will they still be? I've been to Uni since then, I've done beach lifeguarding and the guys that bullied me are still working in their dead end job. Leave them to it.

On a lighter note I got my interview date through for the 20th of August. Now off to revise... Take care

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:51 am

billymcdafthead wrote:Hi there beta. I was bullied in my first job. Don't let anyone bully you, just think if you do get into the police, your going places, where will they still be? I've been to Uni since then, I've done beach lifeguarding and the guys that bullied me are still working in their dead end job. Leave them to it.

On a lighter note I got my interview date through for the 20th of August. Now off to revise... Take care
Aw well done mate. :)

Sadly my situation hasn't improved at all though. :(

Its been 5weeks now since i gave them the exact dates of when i went to school/college/work but i still haven't heard anything back from them

So im going to give them a call in the early afternoon to check the current status of my application. :sldu2:

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:49 pm

I phoned them this morning and asked if i could check the status of my application,
the guy put me on hold for a minute,
then came back and said ''I can book you in for your day1 interview on 2nd september, and for an optional support session on 10th august''. :slcud: :slsm: :slwoot: :slluvv:

He didnt tell me any details of where i have to go and what to bring... ect
But said he will send me a letter about it.

So im extremely pleased about this,
as it means that ive passed the paper sift with the answers i gave to the scenario questions.
And they must have done ATLEAST a crb check on me and have cleared&passed me on that section of the vetting to be willing to even offer me interview. :)

(So is reassuring to know that even though i dont have any cautions or anything, none of my other 'involvements' with the police has caused me any issues.)

Im really really looking forward to the scenario roleplays,
since im very fortunate that the scenarios that they will have for you to deal with are almost identical to the real-life ones that i have to deal with quite a few times per day when at work.
(Handling a councils 'report problems' phone line s part of my job role im used to having people phone up complaining about noise/rubbish not being collected/electricty being cut off... ect)

Im quite nervous about the interview, mainly because ive forgotten the specific scenario answers that i gave to the 7questions on application form, so if they say ''tell us more about how you showed diversity when you were doing the charity work'' i will look kinda foolish not remembering what example i had given. :slwo: :(

However i will try subsituting some of those with new fresh examples from the sitautions ive been in during my current job.

From what ive read about the writing/spelling/grammar test, you just have to write a couple of hundred words reporting an given issue without making any spelling mistakes or grammar problems,
so will be very simple. lol :slroll:

Fitness tests will be a simple pass too.

The medical should be quite straightforward since i dont have any history of illnesses or anything like that, havent even been hospital for a medical reason in about 8years now. :slsm:

However does anyone know if there will be any complications if you have recently had a minor operation?? :slwot:
(Its a cosmetic op, not medical, and when cast is off after 10days your totally fine and normal providing you dont enter a boxing match for ateast 3months)

And does anyone know exactly how good your credit rating/history has to be for you to not fail it on vetting though?? :slwot: :slex:

I would fail a credit check if i applied for a loan or anything like that, but so would many people in this economic climate.
I have just over £7,800 debt, spread across 2 creditcards, and am overdrawn -£300 on a bank account due to stupid bank charges, but am fedup of funding it and so am just waiting till the house of lords finally declare their ruling about bank charges being illegal, so i can them claim all of that money back to neuralise that account

Its not really much debit in monietary terms, since over 90% of the population has between 5k debt in forms of student loan - £150,000+ debt in the form of a mortage.
So my 8k isnt abnormal or excessive.

However due to the bad luck of me losing my sole source of income 2months after me moving into my flat and needing to take out those 2cards to pay for all my furniture + security deposit,
i wasnt able to make any repayments on the cards for 9months.

(I repeatedly notified the bank of my financial situation, requested that they freeze interest, and thet as soon as i managed to get a stable job with income that id start making repayments, BUT they just ignored me and kept adding £100+ per month to the debt,
untill eventually after i got a debt helping charity to contact them on my behalf they now agreed to my £50p/m repayment (while they still charge £50+ p/m interest).

Im gna get a copy of my credit file to see what it actually looks like to a 3rd party,
but im just really really worried that this could cause me to fail the entire process when its checked in vetting,
since even though i dont have any CCJs or any court actions against me at all on it,
the bank have kept sending me letters each month saying that they have put DEFAULTS on my record, since i have defaulted on the debt by not being able to make the minimum repayent requested each month.

Does anyone know how this is viewed by vetting though and if that could cause a fail??

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic