OH MY GOD! THE INTERVIEW IS SO HARD!

Only start new topics in this area IF you are applying for PCSO, not PC not Special JUST applying for PCSO!!

Do you think this is a fair way to test potential PCSO's

You may select 1 option

View results

Jenni
Official Member
Official Member

OH MY GOD! THE INTERVIEW IS SO HARD!

Post by Jenni » Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:29 pm

You guys wont believe this but despite the fact that I have revised, re revised and fretted for months about the first day of the interviews it was even harder then ANYONE even seargents that I spoke to didn't see some of the stuff they threw at us.

The first part was no probs. Watch a video and write a report on an incident. You got to watch it 3 times and had some time after to write the report. But this was just the tip of the ice berg. It felt like that part of the interview was used to lul us into a false sense of security or something because NONE of us were prepared for the next two phases.

The next phase for my group of 8 was a set of scenarios in which we individually had to deal with customer service problems that people had. "easy" I hear you say, "what's she moaning about?". Well what I haven't told you yet is that you get 90seconds to read lots of reports on the incident and then get thrown in to a room with an actor who immediately jumps down your throat without even letting you sit down before they start. It's madness. And even after you've helped them to the best of your already limited ability (due to the fact that you have'nt got a clue about what's going on) all they say to you is "if that's what you think is best". It's way too artificial to prove anything about our suitability for the job with those kind of "role plays". Not only that, but when we were told that we were expected for an interview at hendon, they sent us a prep pack with information on this role play, giving you the details of your imaginary job and their parking space allocations and their views on race relations. All of us in the group agreed that the pack was a total waste of a tree and that the overload of information given to us actually confused us more than clarified anything. Furthermore they gave you 5 minutes to solve the problems which was insane because in reality you cant sort out problems like that short amount of time.

The final part was the interview. The questions asked were so vague and once again they were timed!!! You had 2 1/2 minutes to understand and answer fully each question. We were told that we could ask for the question to be rephrased at ant time and several of us did and were met with a repetition of the question.

It was total madness and not one person had anything good to say about the latter two sections of the interview when we were debriefed by a seargent. She was asking us how they could make it a better interview as there are no set guidelines for PCSO interviews as yet (which i think is insane anyway) and all of the group felt that they have a VERY long way to go before it's anywhere near ready to become a universal guideline for PCSO recruitment.

Looks like I'll have to wait 6 months before I can be one of you guys now. Man I am so hacked off about that :evil:
Are green crisps REALLY safe to eat?

don_juan130
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by don_juan130 » Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:06 pm

i think the best way to answer this is with the old story

An office manager was given the task of hiring an individual to fill a job opening. After sorting through a stack of resumes he found four people who were equally qualified. He decided to call the four in and ask them one question and their answer would determine who would get the job. The day came and as the four sat around the conference room table the interviewer asked "What is the fastest thing you know of? Pointing to the man on his right. The first man replied "A thought. It pops into your head. There's no forewarning that it's on the way, it's just there. A thought is the fastest thing I know of."

That's very good!" replied the interviewer. And now you sir? He asked the second man. "Hmm....let me see, A blink! It comes and goes and you don't know ever it happened. A blink is the fastest thing I know of." Excellent!" said the interviewer "The blink of an eye. That's a very popular cliche for speed."

As he turned to the third man who was contemplating his reply. Well, out at my dad's ranch, you step out of the house and on the wall there's a light switch, when you flip that switch, way out across the pasture the light at the barn comes on in an instant." Turning on a light is the fastest thing I can think of."

The interviewer was very impressed with the third answer and thought he had found his man. "It's hard to beat the speed of light." he said

Turning to the fourth man, he posed the question. & after hearing the three previous answers, it's obvious to me that the fastest thing known is diarrhea."

WHAT!?" said the interviewer, stunned by the response.

Oh I can explain." said the fourth man.

"You see the other day I wasn't feeling so good and I ran for the bathroom. But, before I could think, blink, or turn on the light, I'd sh*t my pants!"

He got the job!

what they were testing was how you delt with a problem when thrown in at the deep end cos we all handle things differntly, could you remain confident, did u bable, did you maintain eye contact, whats you're memory like, can you stick to specific guidlines etc

yeah i agree it was hard, but got to admit i enyojed it a lil

hope ya did real well

:D

Jenni
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Jenni » Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:10 pm

Me too dude
I babled a little but i kept good body language, kept to my guns and thought as quickly as i could. Your story has filled me with a bit more confidence but like i said i don't think i've got it. :cry:

don_juan130
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by don_juan130 » Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:14 pm

lets ave a lil confidence here woman ! :D

lets just be confident that ya did real good

:D

Jenni
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Jenni » Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:20 pm

Ta mate! If I get in I'll have you lot on the forum to thank xXx

don_juan130
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by don_juan130 » Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:24 pm

oi dont go blaiming me hehehe

:D :D :D

Jenni
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Jenni » Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:26 pm

how did you get your pic there btw? I'm tryin to put mine on a post but not as my avatar. How do i do it?

sueb
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by sueb » Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:43 pm

tell u what u can blame me ill let you lol

You'll be fine good luck
:)

don_juan130
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by don_juan130 » Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:58 pm

Can i blame ya for ma hangover ? :wink:

:lol:
You have the right to remain unconscious, anything you say ain't gonna be much!

sueb
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by sueb » Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:08 pm

if you wish chuck you certainly can

ill take the balme for that to....

but i never touched your bottle of wine and there's no finger prints to prove it.

:wink:
but your guitar now thats another matter.

lol

don_juan130
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by don_juan130 » Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:43 pm

aghh ya giant meanie

not ma guitarrrr thats just mean

:wink:
You have the right to remain unconscious, anything you say ain't gonna be much!

dantheman
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by dantheman » Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:55 pm

Jenni I felt terrible after my PC Interview/role plays etc but in the end it wasn't as bad as I thought, my interview (similar, scripted questions etc, ahhh) got poor marks but I passed overall, you never know you might be OK, good luck.
MET PCSO +
PC Start Date: Feb 2006

Jenni
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Jenni » Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:07 pm

ah thankyou sweetie. So are you a pc or pcso then?

dantheman
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by dantheman » Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:49 am

PCSO v.soon, PC in 2006, let us know if you pass.
MET PCSO +
PC Start Date: Feb 2006

sueb
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by sueb » Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:56 pm

dantheman

good luck with the transaction from pcso to pc mate let us know if you get in bud.

Jenni
you'll be fine chuck i had my interview and test on the same day i thought id failed my interview but didi ok on the test i was more nervous afterthe interview than i was taking it.

I take it thats you at the min :?:

But hey im now through to the medical and i still have not got a letter cos vetting took ages its now 2 weeks after my interview so dont believe them when they say you'll know with in 7-10 days.

It all depends on who quick you get through vetting.

good luck chuck.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic