PCSO & Police career in BTP

Only start new topics in this area IF you are applying for PCSO, not PC not Special JUST applying for PCSO!!
coiz87

PCSO & Police career in BTP

Post by coiz87 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:21 am

Hi all this is my very first post!

I have always wanted to be a police officer and decided i would like to go for it. I have been told by numerous people that to be a police officer you are recommend to be a PCSO or special constable first, is this true?
I have been researching into PCSO's and the two forces that look interesting are London Met and London BTP. Please can anyone provide me on any advice on what is the best career route to become a police officer and which force to apply for as a PCSO.

Thankyou!!

baronsmirnoff
Committee Member
Committee Member

Re: PCSO & Police career in BTP

Post by baronsmirnoff » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:14 am

You were over the last few years advised to become a member of police staff in some way as the Met and some other forces had stopped sending out recruiting packs as the waiting list were full, if you joined as staff after a year you could then apply as this was the only new applicants being taken, in the Met it has change as they are now taking direct recruits but I think you have to go to an open day to get your pack and at the last one there were record numbers turned up in excess of 2500 so if you want to join as a PC keep a look out for an event and get in quick before they stop again
DRINK WAS THE ANSWER BUT I FORGOT THE QUESTION

My spelling is good spelling but the letters sometime wobble and get in the wrong place - Winne The Pooh

jimbo
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by jimbo » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:21 pm

Hello and welcome - and good luck!

Whether to do a different role first is up to you; but I would say that keep in mind that PCSO is HUGELY different to PC. If being a Police Officer is what you want to do, then the best way to gain experience of being a police officer is, well... by being a Police Officer!
Does dim rhaid i chi ddweud dim byd. Ond gall niweidio eich amddiffyniad os na fyddwch chi’n son, wrth gael eich holi am rywbeth y byddwch chi’n dibynnu arno nes ymlaen yn y Llys. Gall unrhyw beth yr ydych yn ei ddweud gael ei roi fel tystiolaeth.

signtalker
Official Member
Official Member

Post by signtalker » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:28 am

At the time i applied to be a PCSO my force werent recruiting PC's, like yourself I wanted to be a PC.I applied and have been a PCSO now for 18 months, Im glad i did the PCSO role first, as it does give you a taste of what the PC's do, I crew with a PC, and you also get the chance to get your head round submitting reports, using the webstorm system, along with many other things. I have just been acceptedpending medical) as PC and start training in November. Im glad i did the PCSO role and gained valuable experience to carry forward, I also think it helped me understand what was expected of me at the Asessment center for PC more to!

JULES
Jan 09 qualified as a PC(1st attempt)
March 07 -Dec 08 PCSO

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic