Applying to be a Met PCSO, but am EXTREMELY scared!! :(

Only start new topics in this area IF you are applying for PCSO, not PC not Special JUST applying for PCSO!!
Beta89
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Applying to be a Met PCSO, but am EXTREMELY scared!! :(

Post by Beta89 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:32 am

Hi everyone, nice forum, ive been looking through quite a few topics and found it really helpful.

I know the title of my thread may make me look kinda wimpy.. lol
(Im not a wimp, but just really really want this career and so dont want to be rejected and not be able to have the opportunity to do it). :(

*A bit of warning that my post my be kind of long, as so anyone who is tired n not in a reading mood il understand if you skip it,
hopefully a few people will be able to give me some help though.
I will try and break it into paragraphs to make it easy to read in small bitesize chunks.

K i had always wanted to join the police since i was 8years old. Sounds abit cliche i know, but its true, its the only career i had ever actually intended to do,
and i caried the plan of it all teh way to college.
Chose courses that would best fit the police; Law A-level for the legal side, Travel&Tourism Btec for the working in teams and with people aspects, and Spanish as languages are always helpful and i was planning on going and living/working in spain anyways, was thats where my family background is.

However co-inciding with finishing college i had an extremely sad personal thing happen that affected my life alot.

So from June onwards i started trading on the stockmarket, as id been interested in it for a few months before but never had the days n days of free time to do it before.
And the markets all crashed and volatility hit that was more extreme than anything anyone had ever imagined, that amount of easy money that there was to be made was staggering.

And so from July - January this year that had become my fulltime career, as the money was just so addictive.

In june i had applied to become a special constable for surrey police, had got a letter back inviting me to an assment day 4weeks later,
but then 1week before the day i got another letter saying that they no-longer wanted me and wouldnt disclose the reason.

I phoned up their recruitment office to try finding out what was going on, as i had no criminal record,
but was simply met by an extremely rude answer from the receptionist there saying ''you are just not the type of person we want working for us'', and tehn she hungup on me before i could respond.

This really really confused me and shook me up, not to mention also p*****ed me off quite alot at their bluntness.

But as the weeks n months went on and i just kept continuing with my career and i didnt even give it a 2nd thouught,
as in my mind if thats how they were going to treat me then it was their loss.

Since this year has been progressing though and all the market volatility has dried-up, and is gong to be this way for the next years atleast,
i had alot more time to look at what i was doing as my job and everyday i was seeing how i simply wasnt enjoying it at all anymore,
as i wanted a career where i could work with people in teams, and a role where i could help people and make people feel safe..,
not to spend everyday of the month sitting on my sofa from morning till night staring at a chart on my laptop and just waiting and hoping for market moves to happen in my favour so i would make money not lose it.

And so now ive finally decided that while the stockmarket was fun while it lasted, and i would liek to continue with it as partime/spare time venture,
its just not what i actually want to spend my days and life doing.

And that i do really really still only want to have a career in the police, and would like to be a PCSO. :)

So ive now printed off the application form for the Metropolitan PCSOs, and am going to fill it in tomorrow.

However i am really seriously extremely scared of getting rejected either by just not being able to give good enough answers on my form,
will get through the form but will then fail at interview due to nervousnessand get a letter in the post a few weeks later saying 'sorry but we dont want you, so go try finding some other job to support yourself for the next 6month and then you can have another attempt'. :(

Or even worse whatever that issue was that caused the surrey police to cancel my assment day for being a special constable,
that that issue will be on my permenant file somewhere, and so for my entire life i wont be able to do the only 1 career that i actually want!! :sloop: :(

I have never ever had a criminal record or recieved a caution.
I have been involved with the police 5x in total, but all of them were as a victim. (3x i was the victim of racial assualts, 2x i was the victim of just minor domestic issues).

Do they actually hold being a victim of assaults against you though??! :sloop:

Tomorrow i am going to fill in my form, but am quite nervous about if my answers will be good enough though for the level that they want for a candidate that they will hire.
I worked as a sales assistant in a highstreet charity shop from age 15 - 17 though, so that gave me quite alot of life experience that i can use as examples.

Its just the question about 'how have you changed something to meet the needs of someone from a different culture' that is worrying me abit,
as i went to a very old fashion strict all boys school where about 60% of the people were of non UK nationalities and a wide range off different religions,
but its was just so common and normal that no-one ever needed any sort of special requirements or to be treated in a different way to anyone else,
as it was all just normal and no-one saw someone from a different culture as unusual at all.

But hopefully i can try patching up a decent answer for that one,
although any examples of what you would/did give would be appreciated, just so i can make sure that the example i give isnt just me waffling on off-topic. lol

The interview is what im really really not looking forward to, if i even get invited to one, as ive been slef employed working for myself ever since i started college.
Ive had about 4 interviews in my life for just highstreet saturday jobs, but the only 1 i got offered was as a hairdresser. :)

So i get very very nervous about the thought of interviews, and especially this one.
As if you want to be a hairdresser, you have 100s of different salons that you can apply to and keep trying in all different towns.

But for this there is only 1 police, you only get 1 chance every 6months, and after a few tries if you keep failing they may just never invite you back again. :(

And especially that thing that caused me to be not wanted as a special constable by surrey police,
that is really really frightening me and confusing me as to what that could be,
and that it could mean that i wont ever be able to pass security vetting to join the police though. :(

Sorry that this post was so long, and i know i must sound very nervou and paranoid,
but this is what i want for my life career though, and so i really dont want to screw it up or have any problems.
:/

tim419
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: Applying to be a Met PCSO, but am EXTREMELY scared!! :(

Post by tim419 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:35 am

First of all, good luck! You need to STOP worrying about WHAT IFs - what if you fail, what if you cock up an answer, what if you get rejected. If you do, then you do. Those are things OUT of your control, so dwelling on stuff like this doesn't help you at all.

So Surrey rejected you as a Special. That's not the end of the world, is it?! Instead, focus on WHAT POSITIVE ATTRIBUTES DOES BETA89 ACTUALLY HAVE TO OFFER THE POLICE SERVICE - maybe get out a pen and make a list of positive statements, things you do well and are good at.

HOW HAVE YOU GONE ABOUT FINDING OUT ABOUT BEING A PCSO IN LONDON? Recruitment event, meet your local team, been out with them?

When Surrey rejected you, you sat back and did nothing. It may have been "their loss" but you let this go by on nothing more than some phonecall, when it has obviously frustrated you. Do you REALLY want this job....or are you just one more "stockbroker" type from the City who have now fallen on hard times and see getting into the Job as a "safe" financial option?! This is a question you should be able to knock right into the back of the net!!

So FIGHT for what you want! What if you were really good on the interview day? What if they offered you the Job? WHAT IF YOU WERE REALLY GOOD AT THIS AND IT WAS INDEED SURREY'S LOSS?!

THAT's what you need to fill your head with, not all that other stuff. Please post here how you get on and what happens, and once again GOOD LUCK! :slcup:

Beta89
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Beta89 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:01 am

lol

Thanks for your reply. :slsm:

I guess i did seem very panicky and worried in my previous post.
Im not normally ever a paranoid or negative sorta guy, the opposite actually.

But the reason im so worried about getting rejected again and not even being told what the reason is, is because im a realist.
And so while yeah i could just try thinking about how happy i would be if i get the job, but then if i get a letter saying im rejected and would really crush me then.

Wheras if i focus now on the obstacles that are blocking my path, and so analyse and deal with them as much as i can to get them out of the way,
then i will know what the risks are and how i could endup getting rejected.
So it wont be so shocking then if i do get rejected.

But if i do manage to deal with all the obstacles and do pass then i will be extra happy as it will be a nice shock.. :slsm:

Thanks for the advice about making the list of good things about me though, im gna make it now. :slroll:

1 thing i am scared about though is if you have a really really bad credit rating from a creditcard thats in debt, can that cause you to fail the vetting?? :sloop: :(

Il keep this thread updated. :slby:

billymcdafthead
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by billymcdafthead » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:29 pm

Hi there Beta89. Like you I am also applying for the post of PCSO for the Met.
Like yourself I applied to be a Special Constable whilst I was studying at College, however I left college as I decided that I would pursue what I have always wanted to do in life, Policing.

My brother is in the Met and suggested that I should get a feel for the force by seeing it from a PCSO first, as from the amount of hassle that they sometimes get, it would make me respect the powers that Police have when I apply for the regulars.
So I applied to be a PCSO in February.
However, I recently got a reply from the Met saying I had got through stage 1 and they would like me to attend stage 2 for the SPECIALS. I called them up asking whether it would conflict with becoming a Special as well as a PCSO and they have told me I cannot do both. So I have stopped my application for the specials.

Sorry to hear the way you were treated, however I would have wanted to know what was wrong, as if it is a background problem, this could possibly cause the same problems when you apply for the Met. Then that would be 4 -5 months wasted? I would call Surrey up again and just enquire as to why your application was suddenly stopped as you are currently applying for the Met and would like to see where you went wrong...whats the worse that could happen...phone put down again?

Surely the problems you experienced in your past, would help you become stronger, so maybe promote these things in the interview and tell them how they have changed you? I was bullied throughout school, even my first job and it has made me who I am today.

Good luck again Beta.
Billy

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:50 am

Hi and thanks for your support.

I been staring at the form for 2weeks now, kept putting off doing it cos the questions in it look very challenging and like trick questions.. :slwot:

But tonight i finally sat down and have almost finished it.. :)

Can i just ask what they mean by ''contact name'' when they ask for details of your old schools and colleges though??

Do they mean the name of your form tutor back then?

And how long after sending in your application did you hear back from them saying if you got an interview please??

Carrie

Post by Carrie » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:25 pm

Hi i have applied to be a PCSO with West Yorkshire, i have my interview and assessment next week. I sent my application in on the closing date :slwo: which was 14th November 2008 and i got an email inviting me to the assessment on 2nd Feb 09.

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:09 am

whoa, thats a very long time to wait.... :(

Btw does anyone know how much against you having a very bad credit rating will count??

billymcdafthead
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by billymcdafthead » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:52 pm

Guest, they need your tutors name, however all my teachers have left since I have, so I put a note at the end saying that no one is there anymore.
I phoned the Met to check on my app as our postie has been pretty rubbish recently, mail going missing etc and the guy said it could be between 10-12 weeks for a reply, so expect a long wait.

Billy

Beta89
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Beta89 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:40 pm

k well i sent the form in nearly 2weeks ago now, closing date was yesterday,
so hoepfully the postman didnt lose it or anything and they got it last week.. :)

My mate said he heard back within 2weeks of sending his in though and got offered the interview..,
so im gna be checking my post box everyday. :slwo: :(

Beta89
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Beta89 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:49 am

:(

Still waiting.

I sent it 1st class on 23rd march, closing date was 31st march, so there shoudlnt have been any problem in them getting it, even if there was a delay in 1st class.

Hopefully il hear back next week.

GMP-Indiemo
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by GMP-Indiemo » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:42 pm

Beta89 wrote::(

Still waiting.

I sent it 1st class on 23rd march, closing date was 31st march, so there shoudlnt have been any problem in them getting it, even if there was a delay in 1st class.

Hopefully il hear back next week.
You'll drive yourself crazy if you keep thinking about it and praying for it to be in the post... you need to carry on living your normal life and put the application to the back of your mind cos it can take a long time to hear back! Then when you do, if you're not still thinking/worrying about it, it's a brilliant surprise - as my first letter back was (which came after 8weeks from GMP, but all forces will vary!)

As for the rejection by Surrey police, don't let that distract you or misguide your thinking of your own abilities, if you want the job as much as you say (yes, i did spend 5minutes reading your first post! lol) then you'll know that you can do it if given the chance. Personally, I was rejected for 3 police staff roles with Humberside Police (admittedly, these are very different roles to PCSOs, PCs, etc but its still an unwanted knock-back from being part of something you've always wanted) before I applied to GMP for a PCSO position. I cast those rejections out of my mind, focused on my strengths and demonstrated enthusiasm, confidence and personality (I managed to make a light-hearted joke on my initial application!) at all stages of the process.

I'm now awaiting an Offer of Employment to start for GMP on 18th May. If you want it and believe in your abilities strongly enough, you'll be exactly who the assessors will be looking out for. Good luck.
Application Submitted: 16/11/08
Assessment Passed: 20/01/09
Interview Passed: 16/02/09
Medical Passed: 19/03/09
Offer of Employment Received: 17/04/09
Training Start Date: 18/05/09

Beta89
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Beta89 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:38 am

Thanks mate... :)

Ive sort of managed to get another job working alongside the police, as a PSO (Public safety operative).
Working for local government in surveilance of the area mainly from cameras but occasionally on foot, and speaking to police/being spoken to by police on their radio, and using tonw-link radio for shops.

So hopefully this will help. :)

Thi job is very very dodgy and the boss seems extremely corrupt though, since evn though we work for the local government authority and with the police,
the actual control room is an underground warehouse sort of building with alot of security gates where no-one could hear you if you scream basically.. :sloop: :slhuh: :slhuh:
And he says i have to pay him £500 cash deposit to prove that i will be committed to the job, and this is before i even actually have my contract of employment though (next SIA course is 8th May and they cant hire me till after i have that), and i wont hav any contratc or receipt for the £500 as its unoffical and just how he 'runs his department and boys' he says. :sloop: :slhuh:

So im rather scared about this, since if i dont actually start getting paid for working form 8th may onwards and just get told to go and not come back,
and he says he knows nothing about any £500 (i have emailed him saying il give it to him on friday as he requested and he replied back to that email so theres a trail off proof there atleast),
but if i dont actually really get this job then im gan be homeless by mid may. :( :(

So its very very scary wait for this next 1month... :(

policegal01
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by policegal01 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:01 pm

Well, firstly, you need to get a stable background. Find a suitable job, that isn't dodgy. Get somewhere stable to live. I don't think police will consider you otherwise. Next piece of advice is speak to someone in the Met regarding your situation or at least speak to Citizens Advice. If you get the go ahead, then have a look on the Met Police Website. There are various websites available that will offer you help and advice on how to fill in the application form. Finally don't be scared, it is nowhere near as public think it is. I worked as a PCSO on the street for four and half years, and it was never as bad as I was expecting it to be. Relax and good luck :slsm:

tim419
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by tim419 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:11 pm

Err, Beta89, sounds like you're just working for some kind of contracted-out private security company? It may be CCTV etc in a shopping centre or whatever, but this certainly isn't "alongside" police or any local authority. A reputable company certainly won't be requiring cash "deposits" for anything, and how on earth can you go out and do the job without even having a contract in place already? What happens if something goes wrong - you'll be stuffed.

Whatever this outfit is, it sounds well dodgy to me so exercise caution I'd suggest!

typecastboy
Gold Elite Legion
Gold Elite Legion

Post by typecastboy » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:03 pm

If you take that job and pay someone £500 quid to get a job then you are very naive. If I were you, I'de report him to the council or whoever is in charge. This is very dodgy, sounds like one big con. Have you tried contacting trading standards or better still Watchdog?
Nov 2008 - Day 2 Fitness/Medical - Passed
Jan 2009 - Start Training in Sidcup
Mar 2009 - On Borough

SINGLE PATROL IS THE WAY FORWARD

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic