CRIMINAL RECORD

Only start new topics in this area IF you are applying for PCSO, not PC not Special JUST applying for PCSO!!
carlos mondeos
Rookie Member

Criminal record

Post by carlos mondeos » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:43 pm

Thinking of becoming a PCSO but I have a shady past. I was in regular trouble but the last was back in 1990 or so. does anyone know if I can still join?

Esox
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Criminal record

Post by Esox » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:45 pm

carlos mondeos wrote:Thinking of becoming a PCSO but I have a shady past. I was in regular trouble but the last was back in 1990 or so. does anyone know if I can still join?
That really depends on what your have done in your past ie how serious and how longa ago it was...best talk to recruitment and explain and see what they say m8
Chris

COME ON YOU IRONS!!!!

Dave Scott
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Dave Scott » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:51 pm

How shady is shady???

They will check in vetting everything and believe me they do!

Don't hide anything from them as they will find it. Be honest and it will go in your favour providing its not on their exclusion list.

carlos mondeos
Rookie Member

Not a crim anymore

Post by carlos mondeos » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:55 pm

To be honest, 17 years ago I had a row with my girlfriends dad and hit him and was charged with GBH. Easy to get pidgeon-holed carrying those 3 letters around with me!

TheRunningMan2006
Official Member
Official Member

Post by TheRunningMan2006 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:03 pm

Were you convicted then?

carlos mondeos
Rookie Member

Post by carlos mondeos » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:41 pm

yes. a spell in prison too. Application forms dont show how a person can change. I've just been on the Suffolk Police recruitment site and a violent crime is on their exception list. my bubble is burst but thanks anyway.

sponge
Registered Member
Registered Member

hello

Post by sponge » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:10 pm

hi m8,

GBH/PRISON...sorry m8 it dont look good,

good luck anyway.

sponge

Bryer

Post by Bryer » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:26 pm

I'm wondering if Dorset are going to refuse me on the fact I got a stage 3 written warning 2 years ago.

Special
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Special » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:33 pm

carlos mondeos wrote:yes. a spell in prison too. Application forms dont show how a person can change. I've just been on the Suffolk Police recruitment site and a violent crime is on their exception list. my bubble is burst but thanks anyway.
Im not making assertions on your current character carlos but ANYONE who has made a grevious assult on another,no matter how long ago,does not belong in the police service imo.sorry.

carlos mondeos
Rookie Member

Post by carlos mondeos » Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:05 pm

If you are stating that someone who made a greivous assault 17 years ago (whatever the circumstances) does not belong in the police service then you already have made assertions and assumptions on my current character. It seems that I'll always be tarred with the same brush by people just like you making judgements on me.

I can teach kids jujitsu from the ages of 5 to 17 and adults from 18 to 83! with swords, nuchaku, sai's and knives with advanced disclosure and work voluntarily with physically and mentally disabled children but cannot walk the streets and help the community alongside the regular police service. Yes I have taken your comments very personally because as far as I was concerned, the case was closed and should have been with you too but a judgement HAS to be made and passed on. Thank you.

POCA
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by POCA » Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:25 pm

I'm afraid I'm with special. How can the police service maintain public confidence if it is known to employ people convicted and imprisoned of a serious offence of violence? The public would not stand of it regardless of the current attitude and abilities of the individual in question.

You may now be completely suitable to be employed by the police but the fact remains that the public would not stand for it. Equally, you pose a greater risk than people who haven't been convicted of reoffending. With that in mind, why should any police authority employ you knowing that you're a higher risk than normal of unlawfully assaulting a member of the public? Which would result in a large comensation claim against them and a lot of negative press.

I'm not being personal when I say this; I'd say it to anyone in your situation.

TheRunningMan2006
Official Member
Official Member

Post by TheRunningMan2006 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:26 pm

I don't know who's right or wrong, but the point is that the job you are applying for is very competitive, so whats the point in employing someone who has a criminal record when there are plenty applying who don't.

I'm sorry about what happened to you and I don't judge you.

Good luck in the future.

kipper
Hexblade Ranger
Hexblade Ranger

Post by kipper » Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:31 am

Who are we to judge, I have my thoughts about this situation but I reserve them. At the end of the day recruitment will decide, make the application and you will get the answer. It will cost you nothing other than a little time to complete the application.
Tally Ho! Chaps, Bandits 12o/c High.
Affordable Web Hosting Solutions with Unlimited and Multi-Domain Hosting Options www.hostpost.co.uk - Special rates for PCSOs please use contact form on site for details.

PCSO Mickyboy
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by PCSO Mickyboy » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:59 am

kipper wrote:Who are we to judge, I have my thoughts about this situation but I reserve them. At the end of the day recruitment will decide, make the application and you will get the answer. It will cost you nothing other than a little time to complete the application.
Well said

But all i can say is try and see what happens because at the end of the day all of us an't angels and i had a run in with the law some time back for crim damage but i was with the wrong people but i did't get charged for it though

micky
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by micky » Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:04 am

carlos

It would be nice to think that once you have served your time and placed a period of time behind you, people would start accepting you for who you are now.

Unfortunately as you can see by some of the replies that is not the case.

I think that you need to discuss the issue with someone senior in recruitment, after all they can only say yes or no.

If the answer is no then you need to consider where else you might be able to use your skills.

Clearly there is a need for people who have been through the prison system to provide input to help divert others from a live of crime. So you could consider youth work.
never regret the future.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic