References

Only start new topics in this area IF you are applying for PCSO, not PC not Special JUST applying for PCSO!!
BiGjD
Official Member
Official Member

References

Post by BiGjD » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:36 am

Not officially had my result from recruitment yet however when I phoned vetting I was informed that my vetting was fine and sent to recruitment. I also phoned occupational health who said that despite my medical history everything "seems to be completely fine" and the doctor has signed my forms and sent them to recruitment. Although she couldn't confirm I had officially passed the medical she said everything looked ok but it was up to recruitment to give me the result officially.

Anyway down to business. I had an email from someone from WYP to say that I am "in the latter stages of my application and they are just awaiting some references". When it comes to references what are they looking for? I was only in my previous job for a week untill half of the workforce including 5 of us new starters where laid off due to "overstaffing" and my lack of experience meant I had to go. I was NEVER late and was never in trouble. Also my other job was a work experience placement while studying for a degree in IT which involved me working as an network engineer at Hallmark Cards. I didn't finish the course as I was suffering from the fainting episodes and was spending a lot of time in and out of hospital while they tried to find what was going on. Although I have been told that because this is more than 3 years ago it wont matter but I doubt I was there long enough to make an impact and by now they probably wont even remember me!

Just wondering what they are looking for in references as all I can think they could do is confirm that I worked there!

Other than that I am coming to the end of my application and I am so excited to start ASAP hehe

Mr1988
Official Member
Official Member

Re: References

Post by Mr1988 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:17 pm

Morning!

In regards to references, Avon & Somerset ask for 3. Fortunately i have had 3 different jobs within the past 3 years... BUT if I was you, I would get on the phone to recruitment... explain your situation like you did here and ask for advice.

I'd imagine they might ask you to get references further back like school teachers, family doctor, long term neighbor etc. Don't take my word for it though... never assume, find out instead.

Cheers,

MrHammonds
Uniform fitting: Monday 16th February, 2009
Induction night: Monday 2nd March, 2009
8 week training course start date: Monday 16th March, 2009

Jay
Official Member
Official Member
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by Jay » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:30 pm

I'm just about at the same stage as you BIGJD. Just waiting for vetting checks and references to come through.

In West Yorkshire we have to supply 2 references but I'm not sure if both are asked for a reference. I think this because I know only 1 of them has been contacted (by post) regarding a reference.

I believe what they want to know is the type of character you are;

- have you casued trouble
- punctuality
- work ethic
- any long term absences, etc

---
Regarding your situation I also think the best advice would be to ring recruitment and hopefully they will put your mind at ease.
Oct 25 2008 - Applied for PCSO with West Yorkshire Police
Nov 25 2008 - Application phase = PASSED
Dec 16 2008 - Assessment phase = PASSED
Jan 28 2009 - Medical = PASSED
Mar 25 2009 - Vetting & References = PASSED
Sep 28 2009 - Start date!

BiGjD
Official Member
Official Member

Post by BiGjD » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:12 pm

I had spoken to recruitment during my vetting as they wanted to check my employment history etc and I did mention the circumstances. I have no record for bad conduct, have never been late to work however had significant periods of absence due to my medical history which recruitment are aware of and it was more than 3 years ago so is not a problem. I also gave 2 personal references one of which is an NVQ assessor for a company called QinetiQ (Science & engineering firm) and the other is a lifetime family friend who is a business owner. I know for a fact they will give me glowing references and I know college will do as they gave me a great reference for the RAF but I am not sure about the 2 companies I was at. My last company as I mentioned was a very short term fixture in the end and although I never put a foot wrong I can't see them having much to say about me apart from I worked there!

I am guessing the references are usually a precaution and not normally something that would be treated seriously unless I had a significant record for absences and unreliability etc but the waiting is making me wonder haha other than that I am as good as in :slbx:

Jay
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Jay » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:45 am

Which force have you applied to BigJD, is it West Yorkshire as well?

BiGjD
Official Member
Official Member

Post by BiGjD » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:54 am

Yep I applied to WYP and had my A/C on the 18th of december

spider86
Official Member
Official Member

Post by spider86 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:41 am

I'm also in the same boat as you guys. Just waiting for vetting checks to be done. When i handed my stuff in they said it would be 5-6 weeks, so should be done anytime now! I really can't wait to start ASAP so i hope they let me know soon!
PCSO West Yorkshire Police

Mr1988
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Mr1988 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:40 pm

It must be done slightly differently in other areas... as in Avon & Somerset, they give you a formal job offer, collar number and have your uniform fitting etc... Before they check references.

My boss for my current job has only just received the forms today... and you can't be given a 'bad' reference by law. They either give a good reference or none at all.

I've heard it is very rare to be refused at reference stage. It would beg the question of equal opportunities, some people could say that they have changed... but haven’t been given the chance! (I'm not saying this is right... but a candidate could argue this.)

Good luck everyone anyway...

Mr1988
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Mr1988 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:55 am

Actually scrap my last... you CAN be given a bad/ poor reference, but they have to be careful how they word it. For example, if you were often late or didn’t do enough work... your ex employer could put 'Found it difficult to meet deadlines' etc etc... Something like that.

They have to be VERY careful how they word it... and also if you choose to sue and go to court (unfair treatment etc), unless they have hard evidence for you coming in late/ poor work (witness, ... clocking in etc) then they can lose ther job and find themselves in a whole world of pain lol.

Anyway... thought that was quite interesting, I read it on a couple of recruitment pages.

BiGjD
Official Member
Official Member

Post by BiGjD » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:42 pm

Can't see any of my old companies complaining about me being late (I am proud to say I have NEVER been late to any job in my entire life!) and I never had any problems with regards to my work but they probably wont remember too much about me to give me a good reference.

I have however found out from the close family friend that she gave me a glowing reference which she got her architect nephew to help her write out haha.

Can't see any reason why I would be given a bad reference but it doesn't stop me worrying :slwo:

BiGjD
Official Member
Official Member

Post by BiGjD » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:55 am

Well I just had an email from WYP. Was told that they are only waiting for one reference from my old school and thats it. They said once the last reference has been recieved they are sending it to be signed off and I am looking at a June start date. Damn I am excited!!

Jay
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Jay » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:34 pm

BiGjD wrote:Well I just had an email from WYP. Was told that they are only waiting for one reference from my old school and thats it. They said once the last reference has been recieved they are sending it to be signed off and I am looking at a June start date. Damn I am excited!!
Cool, I'm in the exact same situation BIGJD. They are just waiting for a reference from the University I attended then thats it! I guess if you are looking at a June start date then I am too. I will probably see you there!!

BiGjD
Official Member
Official Member

Post by BiGjD » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:52 am

Yeah look forward to meet new friends etc at Bishopgarth. Now I am trying to find out if they will allow me to get residential training of if I am getting 2 trains and spending over a tenner getting to and from training every day!

Can't wait though!

spider86
Official Member
Official Member

Post by spider86 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:34 am

-
Last edited by spider86 on Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PCSO West Yorkshire Police

BiGjD
Official Member
Official Member

Post by BiGjD » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:46 am

Ah suits me fine. Going to have laser surgery on my right eye on saturday after having my left eye done 3 weeks ago or so. I need 6 weeks to recover from that anyway so gives me plenty of time then I can just get my eyes tested again and get started!

Enjoying the wait now I know everything is ok :slwoot:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic