benefits of being a PCSO

Only start new topics in this area IF you are applying for PCSO, not PC not Special JUST applying for PCSO!!
turkishgeezer
Registered Member
Registered Member

benefits of being a PCSO

Post by turkishgeezer » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:30 pm

Hi All

I was just wondering,I know it is a nobel job and the the respect you earn from the public makes it worth doing but what other benefits you get out of it just from an employment point of view?

I mean things like using the public service free when on duty or some gym's offering discounts for uniformed services...etc?

I am sure this will all be explained later at some point but just curious,plus it gives a different topic to talk about

regards

jonny121
Committee Member
Committee Member
Examiner: XIII

Re: benefits of being a PCSO

Post by jonny121 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:45 pm

When on duty in FULL uniform;

free public transport
some establishments give you discount when you order/buy food (Dominos, Subway etc) or a free drink when you buy food or both
random people approach you and talk to you
when on scene watches nice residents come out and offer you drinks
people tend to be more polite/helpful
PCSO Nov 2007 - Feb 2010
PC Feb 2010...

tim419
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by tim419 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:39 am

Errr....without wishing to put a downer on any of this positive stuff, things like discounts at food places, gyms, cinema etc etc is a straightforward DISCIPLINE offence.

Met PCSOs do a great job which offers a lot of variety and "out there on the streets" presence. They also have access to free travel on public transport (not rail) and access to the same internal clubs and associations as any other member of police staff.

But there is a big integrity campaign going on right now, and anyone using their ID cards or presence in uniform to get discounted/free Nandos, KFC, pizza, entry to night clubs, gyms etc - or just accepting this if it is offered instead of politely refusing - risks being done for Gross Misconduct (= sacked).

The fact that many of these places are happy to do this is irrelevant, as is the old excuse often trotted out by miscreant staff like "Well I didn't want to appear rude or offend them by saying no, so....". or "everyone does it".

We have all been warned so many times, but still it seems the message doesn't always get through...!

jambo
Official Member
Official Member

Post by jambo » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:57 am

thats not entirely true.

KFC automatically deduct 10% off of the bill of all uniformed service personel. this is theyre company policy. Also discounts that have been authorised are also allowed. I believe Blacks is one of the stores that give discount on boots and is acceptable.
this is in sussex though so just check your forces policy on accepting discounts.

I did pop into my local corner shop the other week dor a bag of sweets and two drinks. he tried to give them to me which i wouldnt have. he did get slightly offended as he wanted to give them to me for all the help i had given to him. I had to end up telling him if i took them i would get the sack.

turkishgeezer
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by turkishgeezer » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:56 pm

cheers guys

it is good to get info from people who are in the job.i am sure when i start,i will be told about what we are allowed what we are not but like i said before i was just curious.

obviously none of these discounts worth losing the job if they are not authorised.

perhaps i will just have to say yes to the offer of a nice cup of tea from nice elderly ladies once in a while and the usual free tea/coffee at teh PACT meetings :slarr:

jonny121
Committee Member
Committee Member
Examiner: XIII

Post by jonny121 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:03 pm

in reply to post by "tim419"

it's not all strictly true, there are some "approved discounts" an example out Chief Inspector arranged for all staff based in the area to have 50% off at the local gym.
PCSO Nov 2007 - Feb 2010
PC Feb 2010...

Victor
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Victor » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:20 pm

KFC automatically deduct 10% off of the bill of all uniformed service personel. this is theyre company policy.
How come we don't have any KFC in our beat area :slna:

lookalikecop
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by lookalikecop » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:09 am

Yeah no KFC in my area :slchee:
Fully Trained On the Beat Fighting Crime

Jimmy_bobby
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Jimmy_bobby » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:47 pm

Sussex have an agreed 50% discount in Dominoes for the uniformed services. Agreed at command level.

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Post by falkor » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:30 pm

Warrant and identification cards must never be used for personal gain such as obtaining entry to night clubs, the avoidance of rail fares, to obtain free or discounted meals etc. Your warrant or identification card is primarily provided for identifcation purposes. When an officer produces a warrant card or acts in a way to suggest that they are acting in their capacity as a police officer, eg: by declaring they are a police officer, they are demonstrating that they are exercising their authority and have put themselves on duty and must act in a way which conforms to the standards.

marcus

Post by marcus » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:26 pm

I think uniformed officers in Sussex get free travel on Brighton & Hove Buses, too - I seem to remember reading a news report to this effect.

I'm interested to learn about the Key Worker scheme - anyone have any real life experience of the benefits of this?

BigBoots
Official Member
Official Member

Post by BigBoots » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:03 pm

"Coffee For Cops" at Starbucks and discount at food outlets whilst working, but as soppy and textbook as it may sound, I see people smiling when they see a presence and for me I find that of benefit to me as I enjoy helping people and I would hope I make a difference to my area I work.

PCSO Mickyboy
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by PCSO Mickyboy » Sun May 30, 2010 12:32 pm

tim419 wrote:Errr....without wishing to put a downer on any of this positive stuff, things like discounts at food places, gyms, cinema etc etc is a straightforward DISCIPLINE offence.

Met PCSOs do a great job which offers a lot of variety and "out there on the streets" presence. They also have access to free travel on public transport (not rail) and access to the same internal clubs and associations as any other member of police staff.

But there is a big integrity campaign going on right now, and anyone using their ID cards or presence in uniform to get discounted/free Nandos, KFC, pizza, entry to night clubs, gyms etc - or just accepting this if it is offered instead of politely refusing - risks being done for Gross Misconduct (= sacked).

The fact that many of these places are happy to do this is irrelevant, as is the old excuse often trotted out by miscreant staff like "Well I didn't want to appear rude or offend them by saying no, so....". or "everyone does it".

We have all been warned so many times, but still it seems the message doesn't always get through...!

To right!!!!
Is now a PC

narcof

Post by narcof » Mon May 31, 2010 8:06 pm

Last edited by narcof on Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tim419
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by tim419 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:01 pm

However let us all remember that being a PCSO or PC is not all about freebies and getting stuff gratis! The real benefits of being a PCSO come from walking your beat and people telling you how good it is to see a regular uniformed presence, it's about the local school kids saying hello to you by first name, it's about local shop staff telling you how your presence has increased confidence and safety. It' about filling that community gap every day, as you are not required to arrest offenders, investigate crime or respond to calls all over the place like a PC. You have the time and the ability to support the front line PC or your neighbourhood PC colleagues, for the good of all your local residents and businesess.

It's about you being "of the police" without actually "being the police" - and the many doors that in fact opens in the community, as a much wider section of the community find a PCSO sometimes more approachable than a PC (no positive obligation to intervene & not having general powers to search or arrest being a real benefit to the role, instead of a hinderance).

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic