accepted for assessment, now rejected prior to day 1

Only start new topics in this area IF you are applying for PCSO, not PC not Special JUST applying for PCSO!!

accepted for assessment, now rejected prior to day 1

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:58 am

Hi,
I applied to the MPS in their recent PCSO drive and was accepted onto assessment day 1, sent my registration form back two weeks ago and yesterday received the following Email:

Dear Candidate,

I write with reference to your application for employment as a Police Community Service Officer within the Metropolitan Police Service.

I regret to inform you that after further consideration, your application can no longer be considered.

Your application has been unsuccessful due to you either failing to declare on your application form of any other investigations or involvements you have had with Police in the past, which we have traced, or a conviction that you hold/declared is deemed unsuitable against our conviction criteria.

Please do not respond to this email, however, for further information on how to appeal this decision, please visit our recruitment Website www.metpolicecareers.co.uk and click on “Answering your Questions”.

I understand this decision will be a disappointment to you but I would like to thank you for your interest in joining the Metropolitan Police Service and wish you all the best for the future.

Yours sincerely,

Now I fully accept that I have made mistakes in the past, namely possession of cannabis 12 years ago for which I accepted a caution and possession of cannabis 11 years ago for which I was fined £50, before I was sent an application form I had to phone Scotland yard for clearance which I was given as the convictions were more than seven years old.

I phoned Scotland yard again today who said "there must be something you have forgotten because this isn't a problem for us" , there isn't I can even tell you exactly what was written in the reports!

I then phoned Hendon (where the decision was made) and was told that yes I have been totally honest and the only way forward now is to appeal the decision.

I can only presume from this that either the person who made the decision didn't read my application properly and decided that I had omitted information or that they let personal views get in the way, I will therefore be appealing under: "Abuse of process" and "Perverse Decision" Can anybody tell me what they think my chances are? if unsuccessful can I reapply next time and to other forces?

Since my mistakes as a silly young man I have held offices of considerable responsibility that have required clearance to work with vulnerable people and for me to be able to think rapidly on my feet in order to preserve both my own safety and that of others and feel that I can offer a considerable contribution to the Police Service, it is also the only job I have ever wanted!!
I learned my lesson and have had nothing to do with drugs or any other criminality for the past 11 years

I know some of you feel that I have made my bed and should now lie in it and that I should never be allowed to join the Police in any capacity, if that's you I respectfully ask you not to comment on this thread as I am looking for constructive advice.

Many thanks.

Dirrty
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: accepted for assessment, now rejected prior to day 1

Post by Dirrty » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:27 am

Just try all they can do is say no, you've nothing to lose.

ticko121
Official Member
Official Member

Post by ticko121 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:50 pm

You might try appealing the decision, there isn't anything to loose. I personally don't think it will be much use though. If you kick up a stink and put your head above the parapet, I truely believe they will find some other way to reject your application behind closed doors. You aren't on the payroll yet so they can be selective.

You must remember that there are hundreds, if not thousands of candidates out there all trying to get into PC and PCSO roles at the moment. The recession and jobs crisis hasn't helped and had you applied 3-4 years ago, I don't think this would have been issue. Although I am convinced you deeply regret your previous mistakes, it is common sense for the job (in-this climate) to naturally pick those who are 'squeeky clean' despite other positions of authority / responsibility you have held.

After you've appealed, see what happens. You should be able to apply again on their next recruitment drive, however I'd recommend you still apply to other forces too. If you are rejected again and your appeal is unsuccessful, I personally wouldn't go around slagging off the force, purely because everything comes out in wash and it won't do you any favours.

Best of luck.
I don't see what all the fuss is about. If those dolphins were so smart, they wouldn't hang out with tuna.

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:56 pm

ticko121 wrote:You might try appealing the decision, there isn't anything to loose. I personally don't think it will be much use though. If you kick up a stink and put your head above the parapet, I truely believe they will find some other way to reject your application behind closed doors. You aren't on the payroll yet so they can be selective.

You must remember that there are hundreds, if not thousands of candidates out there all trying to get into PC and PCSO roles at the moment. The recession and jobs crisis hasn't helped and had you applied 3-4 years ago, I don't think this would have been issue. Although I am convinced you deeply regret your previous mistakes, it is common sense for the job (in-this climate) to naturally pick those who are 'squeeky clean' despite other positions of authority / responsibility you have held.

After you've appealed, see what happens. You should be able to apply again on their next recruitment drive, however I'd recommend you still apply to other forces too. If you are rejected again and your appeal is unsuccessful, I personally wouldn't go around slagging off the force, purely because everything comes out in wash and it won't do you any favours.

Yes they accepted 2.5k applications for 500 positions and my appeal has been sent today, i havn't and won't slag em off, i am just disappointed and don't understand why they have done it at this point as they get Two oppertunities anyway both before i applied and at vetting! I will be applying for other forces in fact notts start their campaign on tuesday...not sure if i can apply though, does the six month rule apply to other forces? Will they count me as still in the application process because i have appealed? Guess i ring em mknday to find out. I had worked out that my chances were about 1 in 3 before this happened once you take into account the paper sift.
Thanks for your replys guys

Best of luck.

Post by Guest » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:07 am

Yes they accepted 2.5k applications for 500 positions and my appeal has been sent today, i haven't and won't slag em off, i am just disappointed and don't understand why they have done it at this point as they get Two opportunities anyway both before i applied and at vetting! also there are convicted drug dealers and drink drivers and burglers serving as sworn officers in the met....go figure lol. I will be applying for other forces in fact notts start their campaign on Tuesday...not sure if i can apply though, does the six month rule apply to other forces? Will they count me as still in the application process because i have appealed? Guess i ring em Monday to find out. I had worked out that my chances were about 1 in 3 before this happened once you take into account the paper sift.
Thanks for your replies guys

oops accidentally included my reply in the quote!

Gualsa
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Gualsa » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:36 pm

There is a chance that its a genuine mistake as the people looking trough the applications are just ticking boxes and moving on quickly to the next. These will often be temp police staff who are used to quickly go through and weed out the absolute no nos.

I failed my first application because I had not declared any GCSEs. I had however explained in another part that I had not been schooled in this country and therefore only had results equivalent to the essential criteria. However, that was overlooked in their haste. They must get a ton of applications from job seekers who are not bothered about joining but just filling in anything that goes. I would not give up. Show them you are keen. Be pushy but polite, ring them up, write, email whatever it takes.

If I had not called them to inquire I would not have been a PCSO today. Good luck :slbx:

Post by Guest » Wed May 02, 2012 4:35 pm

Thanks gualsa,
I have sent the appeal off and it's being reviewed....fingers crossed

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic