Passed PCSO assessment centre, have a question.

Only start new topics in this area IF you are applying for PCSO, not PC not Special JUST applying for PCSO!!
JordanMB
Registered Member
Registered Member

Passed PCSO assessment centre, have a question.

Post by JordanMB » Tue May 29, 2012 5:55 am

Hi guys, i'm new to the forum here and have always had the life-long goal of joining the police force. I'm 20 years old and have just graduated from university (studying criminology) and was presented with a great opportunity to join South Yorkshire police as a PCSO.

As the title says, I have passed the PCSO assessment centre, and I am wondering does this mean that I, assuming I pass the medical and vetting (which I should do easily) I have the job? I am sending my medical forms off tomorrow including my eye test and am awaiting a drug test date and vetting dates (supposedly I will be told within 2-3 months).

Overall I got 60%
Respect for Race and Diversity 73%
Oral Communication 100%
Written Communication 67%

So I think I did okay, but if lots of people pass the assessment then does that mean that not all will be recruited? I guess i'm just worried, when I opened it I was like "Yes, I got the job!" and celebrated a lot, but now i'm paranoid that even if I pass all the tests theres still a chance of not getting the job.

Please can someone enlighten me a little more of the process, I dont have much available information on the next stages.

Sorry for this wall of text, its just that I put a lot of effort and sacrificed a lot to make it this far and I need to know roughly the likelihood of me getting a job out of this is, as I said it is the job I have been dreaming of since forever and I know that I would bring a lot of passion to the job.

Many thanks, Jordan.

TLDR: Passed assessment centre, does everyone who passes get the job? if not how / when do I find out my likelihood of getting the job.

jay1
Executive Officer
Executive Officer
Class: 'Undead Hunter'
Alignment: 'Shadow'
Sacred: 'Ranger'

Re: Passed PCSO assessment centre, have a question.

Post by jay1 » Tue May 29, 2012 6:25 am

TLDR: Passed assessment centre, does everyone who passes get the job? if not how / when do I find out my likelihood of getting the job.

In a word no.... i passed the assessment the first time but failed on the interview :slwot:
This was in Suffolk though and we did the Assessment,interview,fitness test and Vetting.
I hope this helps and good luck it is a fantastic job FACT

JordanMB
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by JordanMB » Tue May 29, 2012 12:21 pm

Ah okay thankyou.
Last edited by JordanMB on Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zales200483

Post by Zales200483 » Wed May 30, 2012 10:17 am

Hi pal, i am in similar position. I will tell You what i know. Called HR on Monday, was told that around 100 people passed, only 50 openings available( a bit of contradiction with what You found out). They already have lists prepared for course commencing September, October and November and i am just below so was told that still got chence as people may fail on medical, vetting. Bit gutted, so close and so far at the same time. I think i will give them a week more and call them again as i got the feeling that some of HR staff are not very well informed.
Good luck toYou mate.

Gualsa
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Gualsa » Wed May 30, 2012 6:51 pm

If you got 100% on your oral communication I presume you would do well in interview so don't worry too much..

Good luck mate and welcome to the forum, hope you stick around :slby:

JordanMB
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by JordanMB » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:14 am

Hmm, that's strange as i've received different info, after reading your post I called HR and I was told that I have been penciled in for commencing in February (9 months time), but your dates you were told are September, October and November - that's left me even more confused.

This is exactly what the woman said on the phone "Currently your penciled in to start in February, but if people fail the medical etc then it may be even sooner" Then I basically asked for a bit more clarity and she said "You're in a good position, just carry on as normal and eventually it will be time".

So what im left wondering is are those people who scored the highest starting first, am I starting last so I scored lowest of those people who made it through or more scarily was the woman working in HR on the phone giving me misinformation (as the info you and I received clashes).

Honestly this is the biggest move of my life, its the beginning of the career i've always dreamed of, my first "big" step into working life, no longer a student, no longer working part time - but working full time - working for the police force, something i've wanted to do since I was 6 years old. If all this fails now I think it will destroy me, i'd never give up on this dream but i'm just scared and confused about this scenario now, I just wish the whole process was a bit more clear - its hard not being in the know.

Sorry for this extremely long post, and if you read it, thank you very much, it is much appreciated.

Thanks,
JordanMB

:sldu2:

Gualsa
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Gualsa » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:25 am

You are obviously nervous and it is always nerve wracking to apply for a dream job. I dont know how old you are but probably young and it wont be the first time you will feel this way. If I was you I would not speculate on why or when. Its impossible to know how recruitment works and who gets in first. Once you are in it will be the same every time you put down for some kind of training. Its not always first come, first served basis. It very rarely makes sense. I don't know what you are doing at the moment but whatever it is, concentrate on that and cross your fingers for September. Its OK to call HR but they may not be properly informed re training because that falls with the training department and they have to juggle a lot of training, both for new but also existing employees.

And don't despair, you are young, you have a ton of working years in front of you. A lot of us would give our left kidney for that :slww:

Zales200483

Post by Zales200483 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:33 pm

So another confusion. First time i hear about February. Anyway i have to call them about my medical so i will ask again but it seems to me that everyone got different story. I understand you mate, i hate it myself. Would prefer to get straight answer. I think the best strategy is to carry on with checks, medical etc and just sort of forget about it. I know its hard but all is not in your hands anymore, its waiting game now. At least you know you are scheduled for February. Anyway mate, share please if you hear sth new and i will do the same.

JordanMB
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by JordanMB » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:54 am

Thanks mate i'll keep you updated if I hear anything

Have you heard anything back in regards to vetting or medical yet? All i've done is sent off the original medical form + eye test - not heard anything back yet. Cheers :slww:

Also an importantquestion that I'm addressing at anyone who knows: My details have changed, I was a student and have just finished uni and I will be moving back home (no longer living in student accommodation) and my parents are moving house next week. This means that my address will be different to the original one on my application form, obviously I need to change it to get the letters delivered to the right address for the drug test dates etc. As well as this one of my references (an old employer) has left the place where he/I used to work (and I gave the works telephone number on the application), he's given me his mobile number and said that he can still be my reference if I need.

So the question is, can these two things be changed half way through the process? I don't want to fail because of something silly like this.

Thanks for reading and helping me achieve my dream guys, much love and appreciation
JordanMB.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic