Dream Over - Vetting

Only start new topics in this area IF you are applying for PCSO, not PC not Special JUST applying for PCSO!!
DeeeeeJ

Dream Over - Vetting

Post by DeeeeeJ » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:09 pm

Well, that's it. My dream is over.

I have been wanting to be in the police for years, mainly a police officer but this was my step in as a PCSO.

I am 22 years old, never been in trouble, no record and no offences.

I have passed the drugs test, application, role play, recruitment day etc, I get given a start date of November, all well.

I today have been advised that I am now unsuccesful due to problems with my vetting. I have a half brother who has been in trouble in the past, but been clear for years.

He has a different name, has never lived me and has nothing to do with me. They won't tell me why i'm rejected but i'm guessing this is it.

They have advised there is no appeal and nothing I can do. How very unfair. I'm now sat here, fed up, so down and devastated I can't do the one thing i've wanted to do for as long as I can remember.

Any advice on what i can do or how to challenge. I have spoken to the HR department who say to raise a FOI (freedom of information) request. Pointless, i have done nothing wrong.

They are unwilling to help anyway at all.

So low right now.

Sgt87
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: Dream Over - Vetting

Post by Sgt87 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:37 pm

Sorry to hear that. You need to do a Data Protection Request on yourself. Request the check for Criminal records and local intelligence. An FOI request is not for personal data.

ninjamonk
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by ninjamonk » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:13 pm

You should at least get a vetting interview!!

ruben
Navigator
Navigator

Post by ruben » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:22 am

Have you ever been bankrupt or had issues with debt?
Constable of 6 years, previously PCSO 18 months

dj_uk_1234

Post by dj_uk_1234 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:29 pm

Thanks for the replys guys!

Never had any financial problems. Nothing at all, not even a speeding ticket.

I am awaiting back contact from HR who have advised me that they have sent this to the personell team to review, although not to get my hopes up!

I have not heard back from them
As of Tuesday! The letter received does not give me any option of a interview and literaly says due to
Pre employment checks my app has now been void.

I am literally devastated. Next step is to request an interview once this has been reviewed if not successful.

After than I am baffled what to do.

dj_uk_1234

Post by dj_uk_1234 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:31 pm

Sgt87 wrote:Sorry to hear that. You need to do a Data Protection Request on yourself. Request the check for Criminal records and local intelligence. An FOI request is not for personal data.
100% guarantee it isn't me, the FOI is what the letter / HR told me to do, but even so not appeal at all!

Sgt87
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Sgt87 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:46 pm

dj_uk_1234 wrote:
Sgt87 wrote:Sorry to hear that. You need to do a Data Protection Request on yourself. Request the check for Criminal records and local intelligence. An FOI request is not for personal data.
100% guarantee it isn't me, the FOI is what the letter / HR told me to do, but even so not appeal at all!
Ok, but FOI is the wrong procedure to request personal data which is what would need to assist in identifying why you failed vetting. FOI is about the number of widgets in the stock room; how many employees have a locker; How many shirts PCSO's are entitled to request on a yearly basis from the store etc etc. Quite how HR can get that wrong is beyond me.

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Post by falkor » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:53 pm

to get a Data Protection Request on yourself, go to any Police Station and ask for the "Subject Access" or "Data Protection Act" forms or go to the web site of the Police Force for where you live e.g.
http://www.met.police.uk/ and put in the words "SUBJECT ACCESS" [in search box] you will see a typical result
Metropolitan Police Service - Accessing information about yourself held by the MPS
06/11/12
older browser This may stop some of the page functionality from working correctly. ACCESSING INFORMATION ABOUT YOURSELF HELD BY THE MPS TO REQUEST ACCESS TO PERSONAL INFORMATION (INFORMATION ABOUT YOURSELF) HELD BY THE MPS Two police officers The Data Protection Act 1998 (DPA 98) gives you the right
example (MET) http://www.met.police.uk/information/info_about_you.htm

Post by Guest » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:31 pm

Thanks for the reply.

The FOI is even on the official letter I have received. Nothing about a data protection request.

As I said in my original post, i think it may be a half brother I have no dealings with. Different name, never lived together etc. I find it a complete disgrace I could be judged on this.

Very harsh and very upsetting. Very hard to believe current serving officers do not have any family with a run in with the police.

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:13 am

Well, had my reply and they've rejected! Can't help but think i've been robbed. Completely wrong this whole process.

We have been notified from Force Vetting that your file has been revisited, unfortunately the decision still stands that you have been refused clearance, therefore failing to meet standards of pre-employment checks.

Force vetting have asked us to advise that there is no right of appeal, although you would be eligible to apply in 6 months time.

Gutted is not the word. No interview. No chance due to nothing to do with me

ninjamonk
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by ninjamonk » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:07 am

Have you traveled a lot or lived else where abroad because as far as i'm aware its very hard to try an vet someone that has lived else where abroad. Its just a thought.

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:48 am

ninjamonk wrote:Have you traveled a lot or lived else where abroad because as far as i'm aware its very hard to try an vet someone that has lived else where abroad. Its just a thought.
Never mate, lived in the same address all my life.

I am at a loss what to do now. It appears from what they say I have to now give up. :slwo:

ticko121
Official Member
Official Member

Post by ticko121 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:32 pm

I am dissapointed for you. Other people's mistakes can still effect relatives/friends years down the line.

If you are correct in saying you have never been involved in trouble, regardless of whether you were stopped/spoken to by the police, then vetting's refusal to tell you what you were rejected for leads me to believe the problem is with your brother. It's not common practice for them to tell you why you failed anyway, but this is the logical explanation.

Please don't tell us all what your brother got into trouble with the police for but bad debt and offences like fraud, bribery, drugs, hate crime and other organised serious crime will seriously jeopardise your application- regardless of whether you are still in contact with your brother. There is still that 0.0000001% chance that you brother may try to influence your position and the police can't take that risk. It is unfair.
I don't see what all the fuss is about. If those dolphins were so smart, they wouldn't hang out with tuna.

Post by Guest » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:40 pm

ticko121 wrote:I am dissapointed for you. Other people's mistakes can still effect relatives/friends years down the line.

If you are correct in saying you have never been involved in trouble, regardless of whether you were stopped/spoken to by the police, then vetting's refusal to tell you what you were rejected for leads me to believe the problem is with your brother. It's not common practice for them to tell you why you failed anyway, but this is the logical explanation.

Please don't tell us all what your brother got into trouble with the police for but bad debt and offences like fraud, bribery, drugs, hate crime and other organised serious crime will seriously jeopardise your application- regardless of whether you are still in contact with your brother. There is still that 0.0000001% chance that you brother may try to influence your position and the police can't take that risk. It is unfair.
Thanks for the reply.

What a complete joke that system is. I would have thought I would of at least got the chance to express myself and put my opinion forward in a vetting interview.

Wasn't even given an option on this. The whole treatment after this has been terrible. Genuinely devastated and there is literally nothing I can do. Basically, the career I have wanted to do for as long as I can remember and the amount of work I have put in over the years is never going to happen.

I do not believe the current people serving have no family with any record. I know of at least 1 person who is within the police who's family have issues (close family at that) As I mentioned before, this is a half brother, who I have never lived with, is 20 years older than me and have no connection too at all.

What a terrible system.

Claude

Post by Claude » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:56 am

Guest wrote: I do not believe the current people serving have no family with any record. I know of at least 1 person who is within the police who's family have issues (close family at that)
Of course you do. Many "current people serving" came into the Police when Recruitment faced a depleted pool of candidates, the rules (vetting) had to be relaxed then as there were less people coming forward, there are still many "current people serving" who actually have convictions/ cautions/ reprimands for minor offences like possession of drugs.

I know a PC who is retiring soon, his 30 years is appraoching, he said "I will work in the control room as a civvy when I've done my 30" but another colleague told him "With your previous conviction you will be stopped by vetting" and that is the situation that you are trying to make sense of.

The Recruitment Dept now faces thousands and thousands of candidates just like you who want a job, they can afford to apply the more stringent vetting now because if you don't get in, there at 99999 other candidates all standing behind you saying "I want a job too!"

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic