Vetting question - Regarding family member criminal history

Only start new topics in this area IF you are applying for PCSO, not PC not Special JUST applying for PCSO!!
trb8

Vetting question - Regarding family member criminal history

Post by trb8 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:57 pm

Hi, I have a question regarding the vetting process. I have heard it doesn't really vary from force to force and is pretty much universally strict.

Now to be honest this has me quite worried. As I have spent the past 4+ years crafting a suitable cv and hopefully impressive life experiences Namely :-
Level 3 BTEC National Diploma in Public services - 2 years.
Volunteer work in charity shops and at local charity events. Stewarding etc.
Rookie life guard certificate and training.
Qualified first aider.
Advanced driving course.
I am also physically fit. A keen jogger and cyclist.
Which hopefully put me a little above the average 23 year old applicant.

I wan't to be a Police officer more than anything, and a PCSO for a few years before hand. I have a clean record and family history, apart from (ironically enough) my biological father. Who was a violent man and also had some drug offences against him, and 2 appearances in crown court. He has been estranged from my family since I was 6 years old, and I have not had any contact with him since. Or ever will. I don't even know if he's still alive.

Sorry for the long post. But I just want some straight answers on how much this really effects my chances of getting into the force? As I have everything else going for me really.

Many thanks.

debrabwfc
Registered Member
Registered Member

Re: Vetting question - Regarding family member criminal hist

Post by debrabwfc » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:00 am

I don't think you will find the answer to this until you are vetted. I may be wrong but I think they are more interested in criminal involvement more than anything else. Just because he's violent and a drug user really shouldn't go against you but because they can be so choosy these days who knows?

Minx
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Vetting question - Regarding family member criminal hist

Post by Minx » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:26 pm

Trb8,

Sorry to say that you should brace yourself for the worst, we have had stories on here before, similar to yours. If you have a close family member with a serious criminal past, there is a very real chance that it will affect your application adversely.

It sounds like you've done the right thing building your CV, but at the end of the day, it's the force recruitment process that you need to ace. The interview, assessment centre and tests.

Good luck my friend.
Minx

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic