Interview Advice

Only start new topics in this area IF you are applying for PCSO, not PC not Special JUST applying for PCSO!!
Kingy

Interview Advice

Post by Kingy » Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:19 pm

Hi there,

I'm lucky enough to have my interview and assesment in Lewes, West Sussex on Thursday afternoon.

Can anyone give me any tips on right things to say etc? I really want to be successful with this.

Thank you.

Angua
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Angua » Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:59 am

Hi there. Be yourself and remember to relax. Maybe find out about what you force is doing in you area.

Click here :arrow: http://www.policecommunitysupportoffice ... 11fadff8cb[/list]
Last edited by Angua on Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
PCSO 4 year+

Police Constable Application Process
Passed Application - Nov 07
Passed Assessment Centre - Jan 08
Fitness and file completed - Feb 08
Start training - 08 Sept 08

Kingy

Post by Kingy » Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:26 pm

Thanks Angua. I've been preparing some examples of diversity and lifestyles etc... Fingers crossed. I'll let you all know how I get on.

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Post by falkor » Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:52 pm

oooooooo Kingy - all the best my friend :D

Angua's link was good so here's another for luck: :arrow: http://www.national-pcsos.co.uk/phpbb2/ ... .php?t=485

BTW what job are you working at the moment?

IndianaJones
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by IndianaJones » Sat Dec 11, 2004 10:41 am

Hi there.

Try to remain calm. Think before you answer. Revert to life experiences and try not to make them sound like a Hollywood epic. Show respect at all times and last but not least; enjoy the challenge and the experience.

Any more questions or help I can offer....please feel free to Email me.

Indiana.

Kingy

Post by Kingy » Sun Dec 19, 2004 2:39 pm

Thanks for all the tips guys.

Hadn't heard anything for over a week so gave them a call and they've told me that they've pencilled me in for a medical early next year, and I should hear at the beginning of the year. They also mentioned that they've sent out the requests for my references...... I guess that's good then.

My main problem is - I've worked in IT for the past 10 years and was recently dismissed for excessive use of the internet and email - no warnings, just booted out. Obviously I'm contesting this because I think I have a case for unfair dismissal. Anyway, my old team leader originally said that he would give me a personal reference, so I put him down as one of my referees on my application form. However, since then he has told me that he wont be able to give me a reference as it puts him in a difficult situation - (not as difficult as mine I may add....err NO JOB). I'm worried now that either he either wont send it back or will send something back that might ruin my chances!!

I have spoken to the recruitment people and explained that my old team leader would not now be able to give a personal reference and the PCSO recruitment lady said that they do sometimes accept a third reference.... Fingers crossed people.

Obviously I did put down on my application form that I was dismissed and it was pending appeal so they may be sympathetic to my plight.

don_juan130
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by don_juan130 » Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:56 pm

i had a similar problem with the charactor ref from a friend, he ended up moving house an forgot all about it

it held up my application for 3 months, but got i sorted in the end.

as for the interview read the role profile, and the sheets of paper with the compatentice on

good luck !

and have a good x-mass !

paulo

what does the interview involve?

Post by paulo » Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:58 pm

how many ppl in the interview room and how long does it last? Always what sort of questions are you asked?

Thanks, a quick reply to haltonmoor@aol.com would be great, thanks

don_juan130
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by don_juan130 » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:38 am

regarding ur interview for been a pcso, there was 2 people in my interview a person from personnel and a pc who was will be one of the tutors when i go for training, the questions asked where pretty much the same as the ones on the application form eg give an example when you've worked as part of a team, give an example of when you've show resilience, explain by what is ment be diversity etc.etc.

dont be too worried, the people who took my interview were both really friendly, just turn up looking smart, be friendly, be confident, maintain eye contact, answer all the questions and dont second guess yourself or give the impression you're indecisive, and dont be cocky.

they may ask about your background, why u want to be a pcso etc

but dont worry its not as scary as it seems

Good Luck

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

main site: interview advice

Post by falkor » Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:56 pm

http://national-pcsos.co.uk/pcsos/id22.html

there is now a page on the MAIN SITE regarding interview advice for any PCSO candidates coming to the forums :wink:

thanks Loula and Liz for the contributions to that page, there are even more in the pipeline, so I can see that page doubling in size in the next couple of weeks :P

all members, please quote the above page to any prospective PCSOs coming to the forums

don_juan130
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by don_juan130 » Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:50 pm

flakor buddy,

i should have he other stuff typed up for next fri too

:D

smithster1001

PCSO interview West Yorkshire Police

Post by smithster1001 » Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:06 am

Alright All,

Had my interview today for West Yorkshire Police.

The only advice I can give you is swat up on the Competency booklet produced by the ACPO and get some examples and memorise them for each topic in the ACPO booklet.

I have six questions all of which were about how I dealt with difficult situations.

Don't get me wrong when you walk in you feel nervous, but the two interviewing are so kool, they eventually make you feel calm and relaxed. Thats when you really show your true colours. Also don't try to fool them about something you did in your past that didn't actually happen, they will see right through it.

The Police Sergeant that interviewed me had 18 years experience, 15 of which were actually working as a police officer so he knew what he was looking for and can read body language better than you can understand the subject.

So lets review. If you are going for the interview with West Yorks swat up on the Competency booklet they give you, think of a couple of examples (each needs a problem, your intended solution and an outcome), be prepared for other random questions like your motives for being a PCSO, and dress like you want the job (professional look).

Be confident, speak about your actions rather than generalising by using the phrase we use I. Scores highly as I found out when he told me.

Apart from that just relax and have a laugh with them, they don't mind it aslong as you answer the questions sensibly first.

Good luck to anyone going for the interview, you won't need it, you just need to be confident about what you are speaking about, and if its about your history then you should ouse confidence.

Good Luck

Nick Smith

fraz
Rookie Member

Post by fraz » Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:45 am

Hello to you all and good to meet you.

i have an interview on mon 7 feb and am really nervous.
would appreciate it someone could give me a few possible interview questions,

thanx fraz :)

Romeo-Yankee
Registered Member
Registered Member

Interview Advice

Post by Romeo-Yankee » Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:23 pm

Hiya,

Just be yourself and relax. It may help to look into diversity and get some background knowledge on what is expected of you.

Other than that, you will be best to reflect on your past personal experiences and examples of different situations you have been in. The Met ask you to give examples of various things on your application so if your application form was like that then they will almost always ask you to elabourate further on these during your interview.

I wish you good luck with your interview. I have just completed my 4 weeks training and am in my first week on Borough. Early days, but loving it.

Best wishes,

Martin.

fraz
Rookie Member

Post by fraz » Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:26 pm

thanx martin have brushed up on diversity and noted down a few examples of past experience, just fingers crossed now.
will let u know how i get on.

fraz :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic