Warrant number/Name badges [MET]

Police equipment and gear in here please!

If issued with a name badge

You may select 1 option

View results

danielswindells
Committee Member
Committee Member

Warrant number/Name badges [MET]

Post by danielswindells » Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:07 pm

This is mainly for those in the MET-but can apply to anybody I guess. I started back in Feb and it wasn't until mid summer that i got my badges that are supposed to go on my clothing-now I ask you this...what is the point of my badges just showing my shoulder number/warrant number?...mine show shoulder no-but some pcso's round here have warrant number....can't people notice the silver numbers on my shoulders?....and i am yet to wear these pointless add ons to my uniform-which my sergeant agrees with(pointless)-not only because as i say, i think they are pointless. But also because they end up being hidden by my radio anyways. Now PC's etc have the actual name-which i know they can refuse to wear under certain circumstances etc....but again-what is the point of letting the scum know your surname?.....at least their is some logic to the actual names on the badges...but what in h£ll is the need/reason for the shoulder/warrant numbers again?

CIDB
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by CIDB » Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:56 pm

Dont have them in essex yet mate, Thank god :lol: :lol:

mj12cz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by mj12cz » Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:38 am

We just have our collar Number (Shoulder number) Whichpeople can see. I would not walk around with my mane on a badge!! when someone want to complain they get given my Collar number!!!! However it does not happen oftern!
"Its a mother beautiful bridge and its going to be there"

Save the cheer leader, save the world.....

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

PCSO1
Official Member
Official Member

Post by PCSO1 » Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:35 pm

Im not sure how true it is but I have been told by several people that if you are the only person in your force with your surname then you dont have to wear a name badge

danielswindells
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by danielswindells » Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:03 pm

my sergeant refused to have hers on as she has a very distinctive name...so had it changed to something more acceptable...also can refuse to wear name badge under safety grounds-eg-like 1 pc i know refuses because there is a huge clan/family who hate him due to his intricate knowledge of everything about them etc and they are constantly trying to taunt him with various threats.

But as i say...we have 2 shoulder number sets already on display....why do we need another bright blue badge on our uniform showing exactly the same thing?

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Post by falkor » Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:15 pm

not really no

and I've heard about your sergeant before daniel, she does sound like she's got her head screwed on THREE CHEERS FOR DANIEL'S SARGE :mrgreen:

Maka
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Maka » Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:45 pm

I never recived one and if I did I wouln't wear it!. :x

TheWanderer
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by TheWanderer » Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:27 pm

Only reason I can think of is so vertically challenged people and kids can read your collar number from the front as they're not tall enough to look over your shoulders!
As a matter of fact, YES- I DO OWN THE ROAD!

danielswindells
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by danielswindells » Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:51 pm

TheWanderer wrote:Only reason I can think of is so vertically challenged people and kids can read your collar number from the front as they're not tall enough to look over your shoulders!

That is a very valid point my friend-I have to admit I had not thought of the people of a apparently shrunken stature....I shall hang my head in an appropriate manner :oops: :P

Yeah, Falkor, she has got her head screwed on-did you hear from me from previous rantings or do you know her yourself? (scary small person that she is-lol)

I just see no advantage to even giving full name badges to any frontline officers(constable OR pcso)... :roll:

jimbo
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by jimbo » Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:42 pm

Dan - they are velcro attached, right...? :wink: :wink: :wink:
Does dim rhaid i chi ddweud dim byd. Ond gall niweidio eich amddiffyniad os na fyddwch chi’n son, wrth gael eich holi am rywbeth y byddwch chi’n dibynnu arno nes ymlaen yn y Llys. Gall unrhyw beth yr ydych yn ei ddweud gael ei roi fel tystiolaeth.

danielswindells
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by danielswindells » Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:53 pm

yes jimbo, indeed they are matey....although if you go by the cost sheets you can find some places-for a pair of badges(pc or pcso)-they cost the best part of a tenner per set....not much i admit...but surely this could have been better spent some other way

dizzy
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by dizzy » Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:45 pm

Once you become SNT they put your name and shoulder number all over the internet for all to see ! photo too if you stand still for long enough !!

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Post by falkor » Wed May 02, 2007 5:08 pm

name badges are being issued to police officers

COULD THEY BE ISSUED TO PCSOs too?

By JOHN TROUP
May 02, 2007

COPS are refusing to wear badges showing their names and ranks — because they fear being tracked down by violent criminals.

Scotland Yard has spent more than £60,000 on the badges, which are intended to make officers more accountable to the public.

But cops are taking them off as soon as they leave stations.

One PC, who did not want to be named, said: “Most officers I know don’t wear the badges.

“I have got an unusual surname and don’t want it plastered across my chest when I’m dealing with low-life crooks.”

He added: “Police officers are already accountable — that’s why we have numbers on our shoulders.

“Having a name badge just makes us an easy target.”

• Badge or no badge ... British Police ... Soft Touch ... No Respect ... No Deterent ... IT'S **** EASY TO BE A CRIMINAL IN THE UK ...
    Posted_by: england7777
  • Another crazy idea by the social worker who run our Police force from their cozy offices, they obviously do not live in the real world.The Police on the sharp end are not dealing with customers like a supermarket they encounter the dregs of society in a lot of cases and do not want their names available to these type.A better idea would be to put the names of the idiots who thought up the idea on a badge and wear them instead.
    Posted_by: Blackbill26
  • Is this really the example we are being shown by the police?? There are many rules that I may personally disagree with but I have to follow them or I may find the police knocking on my door.
    Posted_by: squali73
  • YOU HAVE TO BLAME LABOUR FOR NOT BUILDING MORE PRISONS. THEY WOULD RATHER WASTE THE MONEY ON MORE CIVIL SERVANTS OR THEIR EXPENSES. SOFT SENTENCES AND POLITICAL CORRECTNESS DOES NOT HELP. I THINK THE POLICEMEN ARE RIGHT NOT TO WANT TO WEAR THE BADGES WHEN THEY ALREADY HAVE A SERIAL NUMBER TO IDENTIFY THEM.
    Posted_by: tubster
  • Police officers do occasionally thump people without justification, and it would be a deterrent if their names were clearly visible.
    Posted_by: No_More_Crapitalism

The Metropolitan Police Authority introduced the badges despite opposition from senior officers and the Police Federation.

All uniformed officers and community support officers will have to wear them by June.

Martin Tiplady, Scotland Yard’s HR Director, said: “Name badges are a useful tool in promoting our integrity and accountability.”

A Met spokeswoman said: “If officers feel that revealing their name might put them in danger, there is a facility to consider an exemption.”

Special
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Special » Wed May 02, 2007 5:20 pm

Firstly a PCSO number should not be called a "warrant" number,are you sure it is?

Also NOBODY should have to go out with their name on their uniform.

I've had people ask my name before and i just point to my collar number.

Dumb,stupid idea.If they think we are not accountable then they haven't met left wing pressure groups with an agenda like the IPCC!!!

Hysteria
Elite Member
Elite Member
Class: 'Night Summoner'
Alignment: 'Vampire'

Post by Hysteria » Wed May 02, 2007 5:21 pm

TBH if I was still in the MET i would *cough* lose them for security reasons I would not want some chav knowing my christian name I think shoulder number is more than enough info ...

The only people who knew my name whilst out working were the people I chose to know it and that was only after a period of time after getting to know them

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic