Police base at hospital

PCSO stuff ONLY: Burning issues, high profile questions or cases that have been highlighted in national or local news, let's talk about them IN HERE! A link to the item would be great where possible.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

dingdangdo
Banned Member

Police base at hospital

Post by dingdangdo » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:54 pm

http://www.chesterfieldpost.co.uk/publi ... 00102.html

Police Base At Hospital

A police base has been set up at a Chesterfield hospital to increase communication and help make staff, patients and visitors feel safer.

Police Community Support Officer Adele Chapman-Jones (above right) from the local Safer Neighbourhood team is now based within A&E at Chesterfield Royal Hospital one day a week.

PCSO Chapman-Jones will carry out patrols around the hospital, run crime awareness sessions and be a point of contact for hospital staff.

She carried out her first shift at the hospital yesterday, Wednesday December 14th meeting security workers and other key members of staff.

PCSO Jones said: "It's really important to us to be as close as possible to the communities we serve.

"I will be the police liaison for everyone within the hospital community and I'm looking forward to my new role and helping to resolve any issues where possible."

The hospital has been involved in the Design Out Violence and Aggression in A&E pilot project with the Department of Health and the police base has been welcomed by security staff.

Security Advisor Ged Holland said: "We jumped at the chance to have a regular police presence on site.

"I'm sure it will promote safety for staff, patients and visitors as well as closer working between us and the police."

steve999
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Re: Police base at hospital

Post by steve999 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:56 pm

Security Advisor Ged Holland said: "We jumped at the chance to have a regular police presence on site.
I am not surprised they jumped at it, you will end up being a security guard for the hospital......no thanks.

PCSO_Hero
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by PCSO_Hero » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:26 am

I know of one area in my force that they have a designated PCSO for a hospital. I know it is not officially part of a PCSO role to get involve in physical conflicts, but there are occasions when it happens, and PCSO's are not trained to deal with this. What I am getting to is, the security at the hospital are trained to deal with physical conflict, but will also look to the PCSO to help out, who has no training to deal with physically restraining someone. Things tend to "kick off" at weekends, when the idiots who can not handle having a drink injure themselves and then become violent to hospital staff.

I do however think it is a nice role, as the hospital becomes your community, and you do have vulnerable people there that can feel reassured that a police presence is at the hospital.

Big Brother
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Examiner: XIII

Post by Big Brother » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:54 am

PCSO_Hero wrote: and PCSO's are not trained to deal with this.

Then there is an obvious issue, most PCSOs are trained to physically defend themselves.
Big brother is watching you.

jay1
Executive Officer
Executive Officer
Class: 'Undead Hunter'
Alignment: 'Shadow'
Sacred: 'Ranger'

Post by jay1 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:54 am

We've had a designated PCSO at our local hospital for a couple of years now and it works well.

Acorn
Official Member
Official Member
Class: 'Ranger Varient'
Sacred: 'Ranger'

Post by Acorn » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:31 pm

Hospitals in larger cities in the province of Alberta have their own Peace Officers (a paid public servant of the Hospital with law enforcement powers), theses have their own patrol cars, carry batons/OC spray and go to a shortened version of the municipal police academy...The smaller hospitals have regular security staff...

http://www.albertahealthservices.ca/1738.asp

xbob89
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by xbob89 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:12 pm

Big Brother wrote:
PCSO_Hero wrote: and PCSO's are not trained to deal with this.

Then there is an obvious issue, most PCSOs are trained to physically defend themselves.

Not necessarily...are PCSOs trained in the correct application of "safe holds"?
The security staff at my local Trust are all trained in physical intervention as well as safe holds.

Personally I dont see any difference between a PCSO patrolling a local hospital and patrolling a street or market place. My local trust can have 3000+ people (staff, patients and MOP combined) during the day so I see it as a good way to meet people and act as eyes and ears.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic