Photographer's shock at arrest threat

PCSO stuff ONLY: Burning issues, high profile questions or cases that have been highlighted in national or local news, let's talk about them IN HERE! A link to the item would be great where possible.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

dingdangdo
Banned Member

Photographer's shock at arrest threat

Post by dingdangdo » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:00 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-no ... e-16177043

Mansfield photographer's shock at arrest threat

A photographer has expressed his shock at being threatened with arrest after taking photos in the street.

Tom Maddick, 25, was taking pictures of his home town of Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, when he was stopped by two police community support officers.

He said he was told taking the photos was illegal and to delete the images.

A Nottinghamshire Police spokesperson said there had been a "training issue" and that the "officers concerned had been spoken to".

Mr Maddick said he had been taking photos of Stockwell Gate, in Mansfield, as part of a project documenting life in the town.

'Clear guidelines'
"I was walking along and took a photograph where they [PCSOs] were in frame, nothing was said until I was roughly 50 metres or so away when I heard someone shout," said Mr Maddick.

Continue reading the main story

Start Quote

We are looking to ensure all our officers and staff are aware of guidance that prevents photos from being deleted ”

Nottinghamshire Police statement
"The male PCSO then asked me what I was doing, so explained, politely. The officer then went on to demand I delete the images.

"I was told by the female officer I should get permission of everyone I photograph in a public space. I then refused to delete the images I had captured."

Mr Maddick said he was told "it was illegal to take photographs in a public place".

In a statement, the force said: "Nottinghamshire Police has clear guidelines for dealing with photographers at incidents.

"We are looking to ensure all our officers and staff are aware of this guidance that prevents photos from being deleted or equipment from being seized - unless there are reasonable grounds that it contains evidence in relation to an offence and it is deemed necessary to prevent the evidence being concealed, lost, altered or destroyed.

"No-one - whether that be a member of the public or an officer - should have to be photographed and if a photographer repeatedly continues to ignore requests to refrain from doing so, it could be deemed to be causing harassment, alarm or distress."

Police said an arrest could be made if a photographer's actions were deemed to be causing harassment.

Earlier this month police agreed to return video footage of an arrest they seized from a student journalist who covered the Occupy Nottingham protest in the Old Market Square.

Lewis Stainer, who attends New College Nottingham, had said it was his "legal right" to film what was happening and the officer should not have taken his tape.

Arthur ASCII
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Re: Photographer's shock at arrest threat

Post by Arthur ASCII » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:05 am

Perhaps Notts Police should invest in a little more training for their PCSOs.

PI & GI
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by PI & GI » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:55 am

This sort of thing is totally avoidable, maybe the officers concerned could have double checked with their skipper before tainting the PCSO role again. :slex:
WHO LOVES YA BABY! (KOJAK)

mj12cz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by mj12cz » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:02 pm

Why why is this happening, its common sense that you can photograph in a public place...

Its bad press like this that gives us all a bad name.

I've been photographed, filmed on numerous occassions while at work and it does not bother me at all.
"Its a mother beautiful bridge and its going to be there"

Save the cheer leader, save the world.....

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

sc24
Committee Member
Committee Member
Class: 'Holy Avenger'
Alignment: 'Shadow'
Sacred: 'Priest'

Post by sc24 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:23 pm

Nothing l can really say on this one, so l wont bother!!! :slra:
This job is about people, not headlines

Flying Warden