identity theft? what should a PCSO advise?

PCSO stuff ONLY: Burning issues, high profile questions or cases that have been highlighted in national or local news, let's talk about them IN HERE! A link to the item would be great where possible.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

identity theft? what should a PCSO advise?

Post by falkor » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:05 pm

PCSO meets a very worried resident in the road, they approach you complaining that they have experienced identity theft! Do you ......

A advise them that they attend a local Police Station to prove who they are through identity documents and fingerprints

B tell them to be more careful what they put in their recycling bin next time

C take full details and log it as a crime

D call up your Control Room and get a unit assigned to deal with the call

E all of the above

powdermonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Re: identity theft? what should a PCSO advise?

Post by powdermonkey » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:13 pm

I'd advise them to ring 101 as the crime recorders are better at taking crime details than I am and we have officers who are trained in dealing with this type of offence. I could take details from them there & then, if they wanted, but someone would have to tidy up my crime report at a later date, anyway!
I have seen the truth and it makes no sense.

PI & GI
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by PI & GI » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:07 pm

I would take the details crime it on niche and let my skipper know to allocate it to the relevant officer
WHO LOVES YA BABY! (KOJAK)

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Post by falkor » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:31 pm

hey Guys :slhi: good answers but there is a new scheme in town FROM OCTOBER this year :slcool:

From October (in addition to the good advice above) "You should advise them that they can attend a UK Police Station to prove who they are through identity documents or perhaps fingerprints, the Police Force dealing should then forward the information to the UK SIRENE Bureau via email who are responsible for creating misused identity alerts"

A person who has experienced identity theft may attend a UK Police Station to have their details added to SISII

See the brand new NCALT course "An Introduction to the SCHENGEN INFORMATION SYSTEM (SISII) "
The Schengen Information System (SIS II) goes live in the UK in October this year and will allow us to view and share information on people, property and vehicles right across Europe. This offers a real opportunity for officers to catch the ‘hidden criminal’, disrupt serious and organised crime, and build intelligence in a way that has not always been possible until now.
An NCALT e-learning package has been created, providing you with information on how the system will work linking through the Police National Computer (PNC), as well as information on locating wanted and missing individuals, stolen vehicles and property.
Completion of the training is mandatory for all police officers up to and including Inspector rank, Special Constables and relevant police staff in frontline operation or public contact roles. The Home Office will be looking at completion figures in order to assess our readiness to use the system.
anybody heard of SISII? SCHENGEN? anybody seen the NCALT course on this? :slch2:

JimmyRiddle
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by JimmyRiddle » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:59 am

Yes but in reality the person on 101 or the front desk will tell them some crap like "someone stealing (your) identity is not actually a crime and we can't do anything about it".
Power of arrest for PCSOs for 'as and when' - s24a PACE & common law (i.e. BoP) using s3 CLA 1967

I'm a PCSO, I will WATCH you get your head kicked in (as per force policy)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic