PCSO's Shown As Being Useful On TV

PCSO stuff ONLY: Burning issues, high profile questions or cases that have been highlighted in national or local news, let's talk about them IN HERE! A link to the item would be great where possible.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

Manclad1988
Registered Member
Registered Member

PCSO's Shown As Being Useful On TV

Post by Manclad1988 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:46 pm

Last night I saw a program on Channel 5, CCTV Cities, its on Mondays at about 10ish. Not a bad program, last night's show was based on CCTV cameras in Leeds and for the first time ever on a TV programme fact or fiction I saw PCSO's actually being shown in a good light and looking like they are very much part of the police family.

They were shown manning a CCTV van on a Leed's estate which was rife with car crime and anti-social behaviour, what actually suprised me was that they did not just sit there watching, they got out of the van and actuall dealt with things, e.g. showing a visual presence, searching for alcohol, stop n account etc. Its nice that they are being shown actually making a difference. They even discovered a stolen vehicle, they stayed with it for a short period of time until the got attacked by some yobs throwing concrete bricks at there van, they backed off and then the youths took the car, after they called in backup the car was chased and stopped. I believe if it wasn't for PCSO's then that car would have been burnt out and the goods in it wouldn't have been retrieved.

Glad channel 5 are showing PCSO's are useful and not mocking them like that 'NEW BLUES' programme did the other week. Its a pity most media show PCSO's as a waste of space instead of shwoing what we are good at and how helpful we can be when we use the powers we have.
Application Sent: 18th Jan 2007
Initial Test: 7th Jan 08
Interview: 15th Jan 08
Medical: 22nd Jan 08
Fitness: 1st Feb 08
Start Date: 20th July 08

morley sherrif
Official Member
Official Member

Re: PCSO's Shown As Being Useful On TV

Post by morley sherrif » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:56 pm

I saw this programme and it was very refreshing to see that we were being shown in a good light. I would also like to applaud the PCSO's in the programme for being very professional. A credit to them. :slsm: :slsm: :slsm:

Jimmy_bobby
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Jimmy_bobby » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:55 pm

Damn, missed it!

JEA
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by JEA » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:25 pm

I saw it and it was good. In most of the incidents it was PCSO's that were first on the scene. And they did act very professionally. They were also from the same force as the "New Blues" PCSO's, West Yorks. Just goes to show what a difference editing makes.

It also goes to show what PCSO's are capable of if they have the right level of powers for the job. It showed them successfully searching for alcohol, chasing offenders etc.

unclve vanya
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: 25 Klicks East of 'Templum Divi Filius Claudii' Camoludnum East Angles UK

Post by unclve vanya » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:50 pm

It is interesting to the various roles that PCSOs are now involved in. However uniformed PCs and PCSOs, as has been stated many times, be out on the beat being that 'visible precence. Issues of Neighbourhood Beat policing is one of the main concerns for the public. However all the good that Officers, PCSOs and others do is often undermined by our wonderful Labour government.

Although this may not be the right Forum to 'criticise' Labour 'Law & Order' policies. It is the consequences of those very policies that impinges on everyone - from Police, PCSOs, Traffic Wardens, Parking Attendants, it impinges on all those involved in 'policing society' for better or worse. It also impinges on the public's perception of just how effective policing, prison and law and order is generally. The fad for not putting criminals in jail is the most stupidest policy I have ever heard of!! It sends out the wrong message that whatever the criminal fraternity does - nothing will happen to them, and that's sad! [for society, not the criminal!]

Labour as a government, are the most incompetent ever. But thats just my rant!!

But to get back to the future of Beat Teams. It was interesting what Mr Baker the CC of Essex stated recently -- that foot patrols in 10 or 15 years will be a 'thing of the past'. Not a very happy sign. It is good to hear 'Top Cops' having the courage to criticise government policy from time to time in the same way that Senior Generals in the Armed Forces are doing. It at least gives the hint that even at this level of command, that things are not what they seem, and that there are real concerns about the direction Law and Order issues are taking.

What is the general opinion of PCSOs? Do they become frustrated by 'interference from on high', or just doing the job the best they can on a daily basis. Keep the head down, do the shift, go home and keep getting stuck into the job day by day? Do you see a long term future as part of the police family in policing communities that you work in? :slwo:
'Gordon McRuin wants me to be his Economics Guru. I'm skint so I will 'Trough Some Cash'.
'Je Suis Une Mauvais Homme, J'a dit plut tard Merde!' !

DarkKnight
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by DarkKnight » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:12 pm

I thought the show was good too, it seemed as if PCSO's where sent to most of the reports from the CCTV control.
One of the controllers called them 'Community Safety Officers'
'' It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me ''

abdi1234
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by abdi1234 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:15 pm

Manclad1988 wrote: Glad channel 5 are showing PCSO's are useful and not mocking them like that 'NEW BLUES' programme did the other week. Its a pity most media show PCSO's as a waste of space instead of shwoing what we are good at and how helpful we can be when we use the powers we have.

Sorry but that New Blues seemed fair and balanced otherwise it is propaganda. Police officers often watch the police versions and feel uncomfortable at what they see. Just learn from what they did wrong and adapt.

Arthur ASCII
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Arthur ASCII » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:52 pm

unclve vanya wrote:Labour as a government, are the most incompetent ever. But thats just my rant!!
But they did introduce the role of PCSO, without which this site wouldn't exist for you to rant on :sltop:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic