PCSOs with OVER 2 YEARS SERVICE!!

PCSO stuff ONLY: Burning issues, high profile questions or cases that have been highlighted in national or local news, let's talk about them IN HERE! A link to the item would be great where possible.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

PCSOs with OVER 2 YEARS SERVICE!!

Post by falkor » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:46 am

A) are you a PCSO??

B) have you been a PCSO for over 2 years?

YEAH? well let's hear it from YOU!!! PCSOs with 2 YEARS experience ONLY!!

1) when you joined 2 years ago - what did you think of the PCSO role then? what do you think of it now?

2) would you be quite happy to serve ANOTHER 2 years as a PCSO?

3) if you have moved station within that 2 years how did the transfer go, any remarks or observations on the differences between the 2 stations?

4) in that 2 years you have seen PCSOs apply for PC, what is your opinion on the PCSO to PC process

5) PCSOs launched in 2002 so the maximum service ANY PCSO could have is 6 years service, have you ever come across PCSOs with 6 years service?

Big Brother
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Examiner: XIII

Re: PCSOs with OVER 2 YEARS SERVICE!!

Post by Big Brother » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:46 am

A) are you a PCSO??-yes

B) have you been a PCSO for over 2 years? - 4 1/2

1) when you joined 4 1/2 years ago - what did you think of the PCSO role then? what do you think of it now? - We were the pilots, anything we did would influence the role in years to come, which i think it has done. Training has improved, the powers have been vastly expanded, uniform has been greatly improved, and now they're starting to create new PCSO roles. I'm a schools PCSO now.

2) would you be quite happy to serve ANOTHER 4 1/2 years as a PCSO? - Quite gladly, I've just changed roles and I'm already finding it more challenging and more rewarding

3) if you have moved station within that 2 years how did the transfer go, any remarks or observations on the differences between the 2 stations? - I didn't.

4) in that 2 years you have seen PCSOs apply for PC, what is your opinion on the PCSO to PC process - It seems about right, theyve started taking into account the tutorial periods new PCSO's have go through, and some of it counts towards your training as a PC.

5) PCSOs launched in 2002 so the maximum service ANY PCSO could have is 6 years service, have you ever come across PCSOs with 6 years service?- No. 5 is the maximum in our force, I was in the 2nd intake.
Big brother is watching you.

Jimmy_bobby
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Jimmy_bobby » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:56 pm

A) are you a PCSO??- Yes

B) have you been a PCSO for over 2 years? - 3 1/2

1) when you joined 3 1/2 years ago - what did you think of the PCSO role then? What do you think of it now? - What BB said. Plus a bit too much paperwork compared to when I started, which is not a good direction to be going in, but it was inevitable.

2) would you be quite happy to serve ANOTHER 3 1/2 years as a PCSO? - Maybe, if i'd have failed the PC application process, then I'd probably have stayed in the role.

3) if you have moved station within that 3 1/2 years how did the transfer go, any remarks or observations on the differences between the 2 stations? - I didn't.

4) in that 3 1/2 years have you seen PCSOs apply for PC, what is your opinion on the PCSO to PC process - What BB said. It appears to be the natural possession now. Most of the younger PCSOs end up applying at some point (check the signature!!).

5) PCSOs launched in 2002 so the maximum service ANY PCSO could have is 6 years service, have you ever come across PCSOs with 6 years service?- Yes, ish. We have one at our nick, he's a legend and will probably be a PCSO until he retires. Top bloke. But not many with more than 4 years service. Most about 2 years nowadays.

baronsmirnoff
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by baronsmirnoff » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:26 pm

A) are you a PCSO??

Yes

4 Years 2 Months

1) when you joined 2 years ago - what did you think of the PCSO role then?

We did what it was advertised as on the street 80% of the time gathering information

what do you think of it now?

Role has expanded less time on the street we spend more time doing the job of victim support and attending meetings less than 50% of the time on the street

Yes

3) if you have moved station within that 2 years how did the transfer go, any remarks or observations on the differences between the 2 stations?

Not moved

4) in that 2 years you have seen PCSOs apply for PC, what is your opinion on the PCSO to PC process

Applied once but pulled out it is becoming easier

5) PCSOs launched in 2002 so the maximum service ANY PCSO could have is 6 years service, have you ever come across PCSOs with 6 years service?

5.5 years is the oldest I've met
DRINK WAS THE ANSWER BUT I FORGOT THE QUESTION

My spelling is good spelling but the letters sometime wobble and get in the wrong place - Winne The Pooh

Lieutenant fatman
Counsellor
Counsellor
Class: 'Paladin'

Post by Lieutenant fatman » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:49 pm

A) are you a PCSO??

Yes

Yes, over 2 years.

1) when you joined 2 years ago - what did you think of the PCSO role then?

It was exciting, I didn't have much of an idea what I was doing. I was just happy to be in the police at that point!

what do you think of it now?

The role has more respect, which will of course continue to grow as time goes on, as long as the media don't find a way to destroy us. I know they're keen to!
PCSOs are given more and more jobs to do, with an ever increasing workload. I'm not so sure that's good thing, but what can you do? Unlikely to be bored anyway!

Yes, definitely.

Well, I don't know about stations, but I can tell you Boroughs can be very different. Some are far better than others - the way they are run, etc.. Unfortunately the only real way of finding out seems to be to go there and see for yourself! Once you find a good one, try to stick with it!

Well, it's certainly a lot quicker than going the usual long way round from what I've seen. If you want to be a PC, it's definitely the way to go about it.

I'm not sure if he's quite reached 6 years but I know he was in the first batch trained and I recall he was on maximum pay.

PHILPCSO
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by PHILPCSO » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:39 pm

A) are you a PCSO??-yes

B) have you been a PCSO for over 2 years? - 5 years next month

1) when you joined 5 years ago - what did you think of the PCSO role then? what do you think of it now? - We were new and nobody knew who we actually worked for, which was annoying. As we were the first recruits the training was very basic to what Cambs do now. Not sure about the new powers but am keeping an open mind, uniform has been greatly improved.

2) would you be quite happy to serve ANOTHER 5years as a PCSO? - I love my role but i feel like the furniture, There is not many other roles to go to as a PCSO. There is a PCSO crime investigator which i have been doing but it is not permanent. i am hopefully starting in february next year as a PC just so that i can experience more.

3) if you have moved station within that 5 years how did the transfer go, any remarks or observations on the differences between the 2 stations? - I didn't.

4) in that 5 years you have seen PCSOs apply for PC, what is your opinion on the PCSO to PC process - The application stage is exactly the same, but the training in quicker. I think it would help if the paperwork side would be left out as the force already has your details and checks, but keep the assesment as that proves that you are the correct person.

5) PCSOs launched in 2002 so the maximum service ANY PCSO could have is 6 years service, have you ever come across PCSOs with 6 years service?- there were 6 pcso's only that started in 2002 in our force and have all left as they are now PC'S or have left the force. I dont think they stayed more than 2 year I was was the intake after them.
Two men s??t loads of cutlery

Headset 57
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Headset 57 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:15 am

1): Ithought i'll give that a try as the Parks Constabulary was a bit tedious for me, and i don't do Summers... :slna: :slsa: We have moved on quite a bit ( BTP ) and are more Police Support, with a large transient Community too!, and have virtually al the power's and byelaws .

2): I wouldn't work for any other Force as a PCSO.

3): Yes to being a PCSO ( now for 3.5 years ) and at the same nick / station, and there maybe a chance to move slightly nearer to my home and work at Richmond or Clapham or Staines as a PCSO in the near future as they now have RCO's and PC's on the teams there; however the O/T is at my mainline stations and the travel is only 25 on a train.

4): A large number of PCSO's have applied internally through the fast track ( only 50 PC vacancies ), so a 505 50 chance really for them. This will create a ' hole' in current team levels, but hey, that's why O/T was invented!.

5): I'm sure i've Met some ' old sweat' from CW/CX/LX in my time!...
'You can always find a Question for an Answer
But you can't always find an Answer for a Question'

pcsosteve
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by pcsosteve » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:24 am

A) are you a PCSO?? YES

B) have you been a PCSO for over 2 years? 3yrs1/2

1) when you joined 2 years ago - what did you think of the PCSO role then? what do you think of it now?
We were part of a pilot in our division although PCSO had been in other divisions in the force for sometime. Although some aspects of the job has changed I still love the job :D

2) would you be quite happy to serve ANOTHER 2 years as a PCSO? yes

3) if you have moved station within that 2 years how did the transfer go, any remarks or observations on the differences between the 2 stations? not moved stations

4) in that 2 years you have seen PCSOs apply for PC, what is your opinion on the PCSO to PC process?
YES everyone that i have spoken to are happy with the process. although some have commented that the couldn't understand why they had to do the asessments, medical and fitness all over again

5) PCSOs launched in 2002 so the maximum service ANY PCSO could have is 6 years service, have you ever come across PCSOs with 6 years service? no

mj12cz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by mj12cz » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:16 pm

A) are you a PCSO?? Yes

B) have you been a PCSO for over 2 years? Yes 3.5 years

1) when you joined 2 years ago - what did you think of the PCSO role then? what do you think of it now? Where I work we hev involved a lot, we get involved in everything from drug busts to running our own operations.

2) would you be quite happy to serve ANOTHER 2 years as a PCSO? Yep, will do this till I retire hopefully

3) if you have moved station within that 2 years how did the transfer go, any remarks or observations on the differences between the 2 stations? No not moved

4) in that 2 years you have seen PCSOs apply for PC, what is your opinion on the PCSO to PC process Yep, lots, its seems a total hassle, it should be a fast track process

5) PCSOs launched in 2002 so the maximum service ANY PCSO could have is 6 years service, have you ever come across PCSOs with 6 years service? Yes I know one with almost 6 years service and one with 5 and a half
"Its a mother beautiful bridge and its going to be there"

Save the cheer leader, save the world.....

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

Raven
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Raven » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:53 am

falkor wrote: A) are you a PCSO??

Yes - nearly 5 years in

Was a little unsure of the role when I joined, then I did the training and was REALLY unsure of the role, but it has grown and developed over time

Yes, I look forward to seeing how it continues to develop

Not moved - what would be the point, we are supposed to become part of the community we serve

Not fast track enough, although the MET has just improved the application process to 1 page - which is correct, and the PCSO recruits should get through quicker as they are experienced on the street and familiar with the radio and many procedures and much of the paperwork and computer systems

The longest serving PCSOs I know are the ones I joined with
If at first you don't succeed - head for the pub!

JCH
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by JCH » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:37 pm

A) are you a PCSO?? --- YES

B) have you been a PCSO for over 2 years? - YES 3 1/2

1) when you joined 2 years ago - what did you think of the PCSO role then? what do you think of it now? - Really enjoyed it when i first started but feel as if the role has gone backwards in the last 2 years

2) would you be quite happy to serve ANOTHER 2 years as a PCSO? - If I must

3) if you have moved station within that 2 years how did the transfer go, any remarks or observations on the differences between the 2 stations? - not moved

4) in that 2 years you have seen PCSOs apply for PC, what is your opinion on the PCSO to PC process - Yes a few have applied and moved on, don't think being a PCSO has helped them much, think they would have been more than capable to have just joined as a PC straight away

5) PCSOs launched in 2002 so the maximum service ANY PCSO could have is 6 years service, have you ever come across PCSOs with 6 years service? - We have 4 PCSO who were in the first intake.

rob_hughes
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by rob_hughes » Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:30 pm

I joined to make a difference. I was slow at first, just doing the minimum but now I have made a real impact and got involved in some really good projects. I am passionate about the community I serve.

Very much so. It is a good job and as long as I have motivation I will keep doing it.

I got ripped off changing shifts, every station has it's quirks and some people are not so welcoming. But now I am part of the team.

Yes ongoing, but am I sure it's the right move?

5) PCSOs launched in 2002 so the maximum service ANY PCSO could have is 6 years service, have you ever come across PCSOs with 6 years service

Don't really know
Be positive........ like my blood group

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic