BlackBerrys

PCSO stuff ONLY: Burning issues, high profile questions or cases that have been highlighted in national or local news, let's talk about them IN HERE! A link to the item would be great where possible.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

mj12cz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Re: BlackBerrys

Post by mj12cz » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:37 pm

Not kidding mate... all the gucci kit that is flying about, all i have ia an A4 pad and my radio and when I'm out on patrol my PNB... mad hey!
"Its a mother beautiful bridge and its going to be there"

Save the cheer leader, save the world.....

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

PCSO Mickyboy
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by PCSO Mickyboy » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:17 pm

mj12cz wrote:You are kidding, Lincs police cannot afford to buy us a computer for our office, sadly we are in the dark ages.

Its about time the home office work up and started to help the under funded forces, rather that throwing money around the other police forces...

Even tho cambs is funded good i know were you are coming from mj with lincs i have not heard a good thing about the force and that's coming from the officers who work for lincs
But i do feel sorry for lincs because they are so over stretched and well all the cut backs you are doing just to save some cash is making it hard work for others
Is now a PC

PCSO Mickyboy
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by PCSO Mickyboy » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:19 pm

and with blackberrys we have had ours ever since they come out and i am booked for a training day on one to get a new one which comes with sat nav etc
Is now a PC

Big Brother
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Examiner: XIII

Post by Big Brother » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:23 am

I've had mine a week and I have to say it's an excellent bit of kit.
I stopped a group the other night, typed their names in and hit send. A minute later I had their PNC, intel and voters records on screen. Spoke to them and let them go. 2 Minutes after that I'd submitted an intel report along with details of what they were doing and updated their address details for our system.

The whole thing was a lot quicker and less painful than writing out 6 stop forms, going back to the nick, searching each system seperately and inputting it onto intel. A job that can take 10-15 minutes per encounter including time to write the forms, write you PNB up and input everything takes less than 5 now.
Just waiting for the DL database and crime recording system to be switched on.
Big brother is watching you.

abdi1234
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by abdi1234 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:08 am

Big Brother wrote:I've had mine a week and I have to say it's an excellent bit of kit.
I stopped a group the other night, typed their names in and hit send. A minute later I had their PNC, intel and voters records on screen. Spoke to them and let them go. 2 Minutes after that I'd submitted an intel report along with details of what they were doing and updated their address details for our system.

The whole thing was a lot quicker and less painful than writing out 6 stop forms, going back to the nick, searching each system seperately and inputting it onto intel. A job that can take 10-15 minutes per encounter including time to write the forms, write you PNB up and input everything takes less than 5 now.
Just waiting for the DL database and crime recording system to be switched on.
Some of that sounds good, however we are just getting PNC and email.

Big Brother
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by Big Brother » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:16 am

abdi1234 wrote: Some of that sounds good, however we are just getting PNC and email.

I think if enough people ask for it, they'll switch features on.

mj12cz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by mj12cz » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:42 am

The whole funding thing gets on my goat....

I could have a good rant but feel its not the time and place to do it... I mean Blackberrys... what a joke we don't have the cash for a computer in our office!

I mean some forces have Helicoptor support, well funded traffic unit, all the kit thats required... I give up sometimes....
"Its a mother beautiful bridge and its going to be there"

Save the cheer leader, save the world.....

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

Marlon
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Marlon » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:49 pm

mj12cz wrote:The whole funding thing gets on my goat....

What mj12cz said. I'd rather see more vehicles and more computers being funded. The basic tools.

ladyk100
Committee Member
Committee Member
Class: 'Pixie'
Alignment: 'Shadow'
Sacred: 'Dragoon'

Post by ladyk100 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:41 pm

I love gadgets but doubt i would want to use them when working, some times using a paper and pen is easier and quicker... but saying that i would give it ago first

Raven
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Raven » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:59 am

Surely if it cuts down on the paperwork then it has to be a good thing???
Plus if you are getting instant feedback without having to queue up this saves time too.
Whilst I am a met PCSO and Ihave only a fraction of the paperworkof a PC it is slowly creeping up and without some forethought we will end up spending more time on paperwork and less on the street .
If at first you don't succeed - head for the pub!

Big Brother
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by Big Brother » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:35 pm

I seized a car the other day. Without using the radio I was able to check the lad on PNC, update my location with the control room and submit an intel report. It's all time stamped so it can all be used evidentially.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic