PCSOs posted to marked police cars is HERE

PCSO stuff ONLY: Burning issues, high profile questions or cases that have been highlighted in national or local news, let's talk about them IN HERE! A link to the item would be great where possible.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

should PCSOs be posted to police response cars for a FULL TOUR OF DUTY?

You may select 1 option

View results

kelly
Official Member
Official Member

Post by kelly » Sun Feb 20, 2005 7:32 pm

I enjoy my role as PCSO and would not want to be stuck in a car as what more could you ask for being outside, the only time we use a car is if there are jobs that need doing in Worth and that takes forever to get there are no buses but even then we have to bring car back asap as DCI prefers us on bike or foot and I agree.

I have worked with the regs in the evenings but I prefer to be on our parades strolling and combating Anti social behaviour.

Taffy
Hexblade Ranger
Hexblade Ranger

Post by Taffy » Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:22 pm

DPG are in red primarily so the ambassador can identify his own policeman to send down tesco to get some more ferro rocher.
They also have an uncanny ability to slid past the majority of mops without getting flagged down for crap, mainly because most people are still trying to work out who they are long after they have gone

stu
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by stu » Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:56 pm

As CIDB said around our area we crew up of an evening with a pc in a vehicle and deal with nuisance youths, this works really well as we hit so many more problem areas and when called we can get to a nuisance youth problem fast. We still have pcso's out on foot of an evening as well!... 8)
Remember he who dare's wins (only fools and horses)

What you see is not always what you get!

CIDB
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by CIDB » Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:08 am

And we also crew up with PCs on foot patrol.

Headset 57
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Headset 57 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:13 am

If you get invited or asked to go out in the car , then i don"t see a problem with it. Many PCSO"s with aspirations to going to PC will probably jump at the chance to have a ride along!.
On our unit in the Parks we have worked both on foot and in the cars with PCSO"s so that both get to see the others views and days workloads and share info on local issues and people.They come into our parks on bikes and foot and i sometimes give them a lift back to the nick, good oppertunity to pop in for some refs and a chat etc. That dosen"t maen taht they should make up teh numbers though for every shift if there short on car crews.
Jeff.
'You can always find a Question for an Answer
But you can't always find an Answer for a Question'

stu
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by stu » Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:16 am

Yeah we do CIDB we all work as one which is great!... 8)
Remember he who dare's wins (only fools and horses)

What you see is not always what you get!

Big Brother
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Examiner: XIII

Post by Big Brother » Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:09 am

Shimmy wrote:Ok so its not our job as defined

But what if a pc is single crewed? Do you go with them then?

If a PC is single crewed and he has a problem with it he should be taking it up with his boss.
NOT using a CSO as an extra body for when things get tough. I know it might be exciting but you're really opening up a whole can of worms and can lead yourself to bother.
What happens if that PC comes across a situation of violent disorder, or gets sent to a violent domestic or pub brawl.
He'd be expected to attempt to intervene, he'd be expecting you to jump out and help him.
What happens if you get injured? what happens if you injure someone else?
You can wave all chances of getting compensation away, and if you've injured someone else whilst acting unlawfully you won't stand a cats chance in hell of getting the union/your bosses to support you either.
There's the distinct possibility of losing your job.
Big brother is watching you.

jimbo
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by jimbo » Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:41 pm

Sorry Whowhere, but I disagree. I would always jump in a car if a PC was single crewed and had to go somewhere (like a bail check or visits). if you felt uncomfortable dealing with domestics etc (and I do!) then just make sure you don't take any.

If a PC/Traffic Warden/PCSO needed my assistance I would always say yes, cos I want to make sure they say yes to me when I need it!

A PC is unlikely to go charging in to sort out a pub brawl on the strength of having an unarmed, untrained PCSO there with him or her. It's just a comfort to have someone else with you as extra eyes and ears and to help in an emergency.
Does dim rhaid i chi ddweud dim byd. Ond gall niweidio eich amddiffyniad os na fyddwch chi’n son, wrth gael eich holi am rywbeth y byddwch chi’n dibynnu arno nes ymlaen yn y Llys. Gall unrhyw beth yr ydych yn ei ddweud gael ei roi fel tystiolaeth.

wozzer
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by wozzer » Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:23 pm

if you felt uncomfortable dealing with domestics etc (and I do!) then just make sure you don't take any.

I'm sorry Jimbo but if you're crewed with that officer they may not be able to pick and choose what jobs they take, if a Level 1 call comes in and that officer goes if you're in the car then you go to there's no chance to get dropped off, speaking from experience!! :roll:

Big Brother
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Examiner: XIII

Post by Big Brother » Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:57 pm

jimbo wrote:Sorry Whowhere, but I disagree. I would always jump in a car if a PC was single crewed and had to go somewhere (like a bail check or visits). if you felt uncomfortable dealing with domestics etc (and I do!) then just make sure you don't take any.

If a PC/Traffic Warden/PCSO needed my assistance I would always say yes, cos I want to make sure they say yes to me when I need it!

A PC is unlikely to go charging in to sort out a pub brawl on the strength of having an unarmed, untrained PCSO there with him or her. It's just a comfort to have someone else with you as extra eyes and ears and to help in an emergency.

Yes, that PC may only be going out on a patrol, or to do a bail check but he may recieve an urgent call, which is always a distinct possibility, and if/when it does happen you'll find yourself quickly out of your depth.
it's all well and good coming across situations, but KNOWINGLY getting into a car with full knowledge that you could be sent to a potentially explosive situation will see you getting hurt or quickly finding yourself out of depth.

The PC won't radio the control room and say "sorry, can't go, I've got a CSO in the car". The response from the control room inspector will probably be "WHY THE HELL IS A CSO IN YOUR CAR?!?!?"
Big brother is watching you.

Billy-Bob
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Billy-Bob » Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:58 pm

jimbo wrote: A PC is unlikely to go charging in to sort out a pub brawl on the strength of having an unarmed, untrained PCSO there with him or her. It's just a comfort to have someone else with you as extra eyes and ears and to help in an emergency.
I will agree with that. Its a comfort thing at times or just nicer going out with someone instead of having your own company to deal with!!

Most PCs will have the sense not to enter a pub or major fight with out calling for other units first, and it the worse happens and you do have to dive in well your both going to get hurt and you just have to accept that at times....

Gforceuk
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Gforceuk » Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:08 pm

It's not in the pcso remit jimbo so you should not be doing it.

CIDB
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by CIDB » Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:30 pm

But we Are doing it. So maybe the REMIT should change.

After all we are all on the same team.

Gforceuk
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Gforceuk » Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:46 pm

hardly... why should the remit change just because your doing something that you shouldnt be doing ?

if you want to do things like that then you should have joined the regs. as i've said time and time again.

Do the job your employed to do and the rest of us wont get a bad name for doing things we arent supposed to do and for getting into situations that we shouldnt be in.

play the game.

If it changes it changes , but it shouldnt be because of people not doing their job , it should be done for the right reasons.... if there are any.

CIDB
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by CIDB » Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:12 pm

I dont think I am giving PCSOs a bad name. :twisted:

We work very well with our team of PCs. They are OVER THE MOON that we back them up when possible.

After all we are ALL on the same team, Are we not :roll:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic