PCSO and the POWERS

PCSO stuff ONLY: Burning issues, high profile questions or cases that have been highlighted in national or local news, let's talk about them IN HERE! A link to the item would be great where possible.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

mattwoodfield
Executive Member
Executive Member

PCSO and the POWERS

Post by mattwoodfield » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:30 pm

Hi all, as some of you may be aware, I started on the 7th September with West Midlands Police as a PCSO. I am now just over 3 weeks of my 6 week classroom training and I am absolutely loving it!

Its been a steep learning curve, but one thats been enjoyable none the less!

Anyways, in class the other day and we was having a discussion about Policing the Olympics in 2012. Apparantly, currently we do not have enough officers to police the Olympics, and so I have heard through word of mouth that this is where the PCSO's are going to step in, and the powers will widen. Once the Olympics is over, its doubted that the powers would revert back to as they were previously.

Also, I have just been sitting in class and our tutor came in and told us he had been speaking to their sergeant who over sees the course, and they are looking at a new PCSO - PC course which will hopefully come into affect very soon, something which pleased most of us as the majority in the class would like to go on to become PC's.

Looks like there are some interesting times ahead with regards to powers etc etc.
WMP
Feb 08 -App Sent
Oct 08 -App Passed
Mar 09 -A/C Fail. Overall 50% RRD 67% Oral Comms 100% Written Comms 33%
Mar 09 -A/C results transferred to PCSO
Mar 09 -Start Vetting
June 09 -Passed Vetting
June 09 -Medical Passed
Sept 09 -Start Date D3 OCU

Big Brother
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Examiner: XIII

Re: PCSO and the POWERS

Post by Big Brother » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:08 pm

It would make sense.

With the olympics coming up local forces are going to be under HUGE pressure with regards to resources and manpower. Most PSU serials will be stationed in and around London leaving regular bobbies back in the local forces to provide that cover. Leaving SNT teams, including PCSOs to take on some responsibilities with regards to response.

I doubt PCSOs in my force will be given extra powers as we have most of them anyway, including detaining with force. But it will be a great opportunity for us to show what we can do. it's gonna be a busy few months for all of us I think.
Big brother is watching you.

JCH
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by JCH » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:57 pm

I doubt that PCSO in the West Mids will get any extra powers .. they still don't get the standard ones that came in nearly 2 years ago..

overthinker1977
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by overthinker1977 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:15 pm

Thing is... under common law regarding assisting a constable in lawfull arrest etc makes a PCSO (or anyone) usefull in terms of person control... however!
In Lancs PCSOs aren't used at football matches because its a public order scenario. The potential for violence is so great that PCSO's just aren't used. If your force uses the same thing on footy then I imagine the same applies to olympics.
I think they'll sort it out. Either way I can't see PCSO's getting powers for this. I would be VERY suprised.
Supporter of Police
scum = criminals

JEA
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by JEA » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:28 am

overthinker1977 wrote:Thing is... under common law regarding assisting a constable in lawfull arrest etc makes a PCSO (or anyone) usefull in terms of person control... however!
In Lancs PCSOs aren't used at football matches because its a public order scenario. The potential for violence is so great that PCSO's just aren't used. If your force uses the same thing on footy then I imagine the same applies to olympics.
I think they'll sort it out. Either way I can't see PCSO's getting powers for this. I would be VERY suprised.
I agree, we won't be used to replace PSU's! However, I don't think there's the same risk of disorder at the Olympics as there is at football matches. We won't be asked to go to London simply because we don't have any powers outside our force area.

Big Brother's point is interesting though, if the Met draft in thousands of extra officers from around the country, who will be left to police the other counties? If we do get extra powers on the back of the Olympics I think it's more likely to be for this reason.

typecastboy
Gold Elite Legion
Gold Elite Legion
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by typecastboy » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:11 am

I heard that the Met want to recruit 20,000 new specials. What a bloody disaster that will be. Chocolate teapots!! :slww:
Nov 2008 - Day 2 Fitness/Medical - Passed
Jan 2009 - Start Training in Sidcup
Mar 2009 - On Borough

SINGLE PATROL IS THE WAY FORWARD

PCSOTristan
Committee Member
Committee Member
Class: 'Night Summoner'
Alignment: 'Shadow'
Sacred: 'Ranger'

Post by PCSOTristan » Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:27 pm

mattwoodfield wrote:Hi all, as some of you may be aware, I started on the 7th September with West Midlands Police as a PCSO. I am now just over 3 weeks of my 6 week classroom training and I am absolutely loving it!

Its been a steep learning curve, but one thats been enjoyable none the less!

Anyways, in class the other day and we was having a discussion about Policing the Olympics in 2012. Apparantly, currently we do not have enough officers to police the Olympics, and so I have heard through word of mouth that this is where the PCSO's are going to step in, and the powers will widen. Once the Olympics is over, its doubted that the powers would revert back to as they were previously.

Also, I have just been sitting in class and our tutor came in and told us he had been speaking to their sergeant who over sees the course, and they are looking at a new PCSO - PC course which will hopefully come into affect very soon, something which pleased most of us as the majority in the class would like to go on to become PC's.

Looks like there are some interesting times ahead with regards to powers etc etc.
Its nothing new, BTP have PCSO and PC training together. I dont know whether PCSO's will be at 2012 from any force bar the met in any real number, unless we have an act of parliment, changing the way PCSO's can use there powers. Essex is hosting some events, so maybe we will be called up, I dont know how the policing is really going to be played, I dont think they do yet!

Big Brother
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Examiner: XIII

Post by Big Brother » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:09 pm

PCSOTristan wrote:
Its nothing new, BTP have PCSO and PC training together. I dont know whether PCSO's will be at 2012 from any force bar the met in any real number, unless we have an act of parliment, changing the way PCSO's can use there powers. Essex is hosting some events, so maybe we will be called up, I dont know how the policing is really going to be played, I dont think they do yet!

Various cities across the country have venues that are going to be used for training and for lodging the atheletes. Not to mention the tens of thousands of tourists who'll turn up, and all the locals using it as an opportunity to get smashed. Unlike large countries like the USA and China, the Olympics really does need the UK to pull together to get it running.
Big brother is watching you.

tnpmonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by tnpmonkey » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:37 pm

mattwoodfield wrote:
Yeah, I trained in Kent a few years ago and the same was said to the 100 of us training at the HQ. But it never happens and they really never even thought about it, they just say it as they know most of PCSOs want to be PCs and most of us should have been PCs if it was not for the big PCSOs recruitment push a few years ago

"Be a PCSO instead and after a year you can either join up as a PC or take a new conversion course". Few years on, in my office alone 7 people have been waiting for a start date after passing all the PC tests, bearing in mind there is no conversion course so all had to re-apply as if we didnt work for the Police".

If we ask about what happened to the conversion course, 99% we dont get a reply and the odd time we do its just a "well.......ehh......hmm......... its not going to happen, its been stopped".

If you want to be a PC, its easier to do it if you are a "joe" public as they dont have to replace you

Jimmy_bobby
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Jimmy_bobby » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:56 pm

I think they will have a type of conversion course at some point in the near future. The reason I say this is because it will cost them less to train you than it would an average Joe from the street. And let’s face it; if it saves money, they cotton on soon enough.

They already made exceptions for me and the other few PCSOs on my PC course. We probably did 3 weeks less than everyone else over a 42 week course. It may not seem like a lot, but having two weeks off, and not having to do difficult tests again (car driving permit) and boring long sessions (how to use an email, police database, radio procedure etc) felt great and annoyed the hell out of the rest of my cohort!
They are working n a simplified ex PCSO course here in Sussex, not sure when it will be ready, but its in the planning stages now.

With regards to powers, I can’t see them increasing them just for the Olympics. We (I’m Sussex) have already been told we’ll be going to London to help with policing. They’ll have cops from all over the UK helping out with it. I cant see a need to increase powers of PCSOs just for that event. But I’d be happy to be proven wrong.

ruben
Navigator
Navigator

Post by ruben » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:06 pm

there is a lot of talk at the moment of PCs receiving extra training in northumbria, such as CBRN, TL2, extra vehicles etc. this is rumored to be due to the olympics. some cops will be mobilised to the MET, some will be Mobilised to areas where training is taking place.

i think this is far more likely than training all MET cso's on extra powers etc. to me it doesnt make sense.
Constable of 6 years, previously PCSO 18 months

Jimmy_bobby
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Jimmy_bobby » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:06 pm

Looking forward tot he overtime hay Ruben?

PCSOTristan
Committee Member
Committee Member
Class: 'Night Summoner'
Alignment: 'Shadow'
Sacred: 'Ranger'

Post by PCSOTristan » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:07 pm

Big Brother wrote:
PCSOTristan wrote:

Various cities across the country have venues that are going to be used for training and for lodging the atheletes. Not to mention the tens of thousands of tourists who'll turn up, and all the locals using it as an opportunity to get smashed. Unlike large countries like the USA and China, the Olympics really does need the UK to pull together to get it running.
Yes its true, but its not like Essex, we have actual events taking place in 2012 and alot going on!

ruben
Navigator
Navigator

Post by ruben » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:48 pm

Jimmy_bobby wrote:Looking forward tot he overtime hay Ruben?
well i have my van course, TL2 and taser sorted....just the CBRN to go!!!hopefully will get quite a bit!!!
Constable of 6 years, previously PCSO 18 months

typecastboy
Gold Elite Legion
Gold Elite Legion
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by typecastboy » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:03 pm

Current intake at Hendon are already doing the conversion course, not sure how many weeks less it is. They have actually already done their five weeks at Hendon and are now at training nicks, but they are definately doing less weeks. They are the guinea-pigs apparently, they will revise the course as they see fit once this intake has finished and gone to borough. I hope they will also lessen the day 1, day 2 etc, as apart from the maths, verbal reasoning and 2 extra role plays, it's the same as the PCSO one.

I live in hope!
Nov 2008 - Day 2 Fitness/Medical - Passed
Jan 2009 - Start Training in Sidcup
Mar 2009 - On Borough

SINGLE PATROL IS THE WAY FORWARD

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic