photographer is quizzed by police

PCSO stuff ONLY: Burning issues, high profile questions or cases that have been highlighted in national or local news, let's talk about them IN HERE! A link to the item would be great where possible.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

multidropper
Official Member
Official Member
Class: 'Crimson Warrior'
Alignment: 'Lightning'
Sacred: 'Ranger'

Re: photographer is quizzed by police

Post by multidropper » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:14 pm

Interesting article BIg-si, but will certain officers listen? Doubtful eh...

I am an "amateur" photographer, I tend to take photographs of anything I find interesting and I will continue to do so. Whether it be on my mobile phone, digital camera or just ordinary 35mm film. It's what I do, and I enjoy it. However I understand there must be clear guidelines that need to be adhered to here, often most of these stories tend to involve over zealous policing?

In my job I take photgraphs to show my son where I have been. This could be anywhere in the country, I use it as my diary if you like. If I was ever approached I would just explain what I was doing, and why. It has to remembered (as mentioned in the article linked by Big-si) that there is NO law against filming or photography in a public place.

To this end I would politely decline to offer any details, unless it was deemed to be a sensitive area (power station etc) as there is no offence to answer surely? Therefore no "offence" can have been committed? I'm sure someone will be along very soon to argue this though....

To this end, my photographs will remain in situ, ie, on the device used to capture them in the first place.
Started at SYP as a PCSO in January 2004

Resigned in September 2006

Now working as a class 1 HGV driver.

typecastboy
Gold Elite Legion
Gold Elite Legion
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by typecastboy » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:40 pm

I think in general the public would be supportive of these powers. Granted some people would use them in the wrong way, but I think and hope that the vast majority of people would rather be stopped and asked what they were doing if they were doing something that could possibly be deemed suspicious rather than another bomb going off on a bus/train/tube/shopping centre etc etc.

I was stopped in London in my car at a random Sec 44 last year before I started the job, and I was more than happy to cooperate having my entire car searched, and although you'll always get the odd moaner, I think most of of would be OK with it.
Nov 2008 - Day 2 Fitness/Medical - Passed
Jan 2009 - Start Training in Sidcup
Mar 2009 - On Borough

SINGLE PATROL IS THE WAY FORWARD

Big Brother
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Examiner: XIII

Post by Big Brother » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:53 pm

That maybe so, but when you've got PCSO's and PCs stopping people taking photos for no real reason i expect it can get annoying. I think cops have to realise, and quickly that a terrorist is probably going to be using a camera phone and not an expensive DSLR and a tripod.
Big brother is watching you.

Big-Si
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Big-Si » Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:11 pm

There is a need for national security vigilence, however the individuals human rights have to be considered
Ex PCSO

Big Brother
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by Big Brother » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:03 pm

Big-Si wrote:There is a need for national security vigilence, however the individuals human rights have to be considered

I think we're all agreed on that one. I also think most would agree that a terrorist isn't going to be walking around with a DSLR and lenses, rather driving around with a camera phone or taking a quick snap. Someone on another forum who was stopped made a good point that the only person with a camera who was stopped was him. The PCSO ignored all the people with point and shoot cameras.

Big-Si
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Big-Si » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:27 pm

Big Brother wrote:
Big-Si wrote:There is a need for national security vigilence, however the individuals human rights have to be considered

I think we're all agreed on that one. I also think most would agree that a terrorist isn't going to be walking around with a DSLR and lenses, rather driving around with a camera phone or taking a quick snap. Someone on another forum who was stopped made a good point that the only person with a camera who was stopped was him. The PCSO ignored all the people with point and shoot cameras.
Absolutely
Ex PCSO

typecastboy
Gold Elite Legion
Gold Elite Legion

Post by typecastboy » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:09 pm

The way I see it, we would all imagine some beared bloke wearing a scarf round his face would be using a camera phone, but then they knew that's what we are expecting, so wouldn't it make sense to use someone who looks like an indigenous MOP using DSLR and blending in, and always have an answer for any questions they are asked. A bit of inconvenience is a small price to pay for security and to prevent atrocities that we've now all come to see.

Years ago, some of us will remember what it was like living with an IRA threat, but it's so different now.
Mar 2009 - On Borough

overthinker1977
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by overthinker1977 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:19 pm

This thing with photos is bull. If you wanted to blow something up you wouldn't NEED to photograph it. You could walk by eating some chips, sit on a bench and just watch and think.
Then you do some dummy runs and time things if necessary.
The London bombers didn't use cameras ONCE in there actions.
The only thing that a camera becomes a threat for is photographing and identifing people that can be later influenced.

i.e. An organised crime group or terroist cell photographing a police officer, finding everything about officers personal life then threatening his family if he didn't do something like obtain information etc.

Even then thats not the most effective way.

Its all bull.
Supporter of Police
scum = criminals

Big-Si
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Big-Si » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:45 pm

I think google streetview is now the preferred tool of the plotting terrorist
Ex PCSO

Gforceuk
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Gforceuk » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:59 pm

Exactly so stopping someone who was taking photos of xmas lights or much else for that matter needs some serious retraining
PC

Hysteria
Elite Member
Elite Member
Class: 'Night Summoner'
Alignment: 'Vampire'

Post by Hysteria » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:37 pm

At the end of the day it is and will always be about Targets . My old team were constently pushed to reach Targets . We had one sgt who used to get quite stressed if we did not bring in a handful of stops at the end of each shift .

typecastboy
Gold Elite Legion
Gold Elite Legion

Post by typecastboy » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:05 pm

They do of course tell us that there isn't Targets, but I have targets for my PDR. I have to get quite low targets, but it's targets all the same. And if you don't achieve those targets you get put on a development plan.
Mar 2009 - On Borough

mj12cz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by mj12cz » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:42 pm

Answer this question everyone...

You are on patrol, you drive past an RAF base there is a man stood with a camera taking photograph of the military aircraft as they land and take off...

What would you do?
"Its a mother beautiful bridge and its going to be there"

Save the cheer leader, save the world.....

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

Big Brother
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by Big Brother » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:59 am

mj12cz wrote:Answer this question everyone...

You are on patrol, you drive past an RAF base there is a man stood with a camera taking photograph of the military aircraft as they land and take off...

What would you do?

An RAF base is generally a prohibited place under the official secrets act, so taking photos of one is definitely an offence. They may not be a terrorist, but I'd be stopping the car and speaking to them

Headset 57
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Headset 57 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:13 pm

I generally go and chat to spotters taking piccies of chuff chuffs and being an aviation enthusiast we have spotters at LHR too.I can tell who is genuine,and will generally know whose a spotter just by looking at them. However if you believe other 'offences' are being done then that's' not a 44 really is it!. I get stopped quite a lot at airports too.

http://www.milky01.piczo.com/?cr=5
I use 44 a fair amount at stations and airports, and it's fair to say that people expect to get stopped here, so it doesn't pose too much of a problem and yes 44's do sometimes lead on to other stuff.All in all it has got to be used proportionately.
'You can always find a Question for an Answer
But you can't always find an Answer for a Question'

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic