photographer is quizzed by police

PCSO stuff ONLY: Burning issues, high profile questions or cases that have been highlighted in national or local news, let's talk about them IN HERE! A link to the item would be great where possible.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

Big Brother
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Examiner: XIII

Re: photographer is quizzed by police

Post by Big Brother » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:11 pm

xbob89 wrote: Ah but now the story is changing....
We werent talking about a specific complaint about me taking pictures.
This is simply about me taking pictures in a park of children enjoying themselves and a PCSO asking me what Im doing and demanding my details.

Im committing no offence so am not obliged to even speak to you let alone furnish you with my details etc..

This is where I think we got wires crossed. You must think I work in the Met and tend to stop photographers for the hell of it.....I was always talking about a "what if" scenario where you have recieved a specific complaint about someone causing a nuisance of themselves.

No, I've only ever stopped a photographer once, but for an operational reason and at the behest of a senior officer. I know, being a photographer myself that anyone has to have a damned good reason to need to question me and it has to be because someone has made a specific complaint, not just because I'm taking photos and they don't like it.
Big brother is watching you.

Big-Si
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Big-Si » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:53 pm

xbob89 wrote:"So I'd argue if you're a photographer taking photos of other people's children without permission and you refuse to stop your actions could be considered to be causing harassment, alarm or distress to those people, based on the recent case law. At the very least I'd tell you to stop doing so.
If you informed me that your own kids are in the park then fair enough, you've got ample reason to be there and I'll stop bothering you."

Ah but now the story is changing....
We werent talking about a specific complaint about me taking pictures.
This is simply about me taking pictures in a park of children enjoying themselves and a PCSO asking me what Im doing and demanding my details.

Im committing no offence so am not obliged to even speak to you let alone furnish you with my details etc..
Most confused post ever :? Was that in response to my post? lol

OK, you don;t need permission to take peoples pictures (it may be good manners) but you don;t need their permission.

What recent case law? Please tell me and provide a link if possible?

You can tell me to stop and I'll politely tell you to go away, continue bothering me (bear in mind I'm acting lawfully) and I'll be asking you for your collar number and you'll be getting a formal complaint via the IPCC.
Seriously this could get you into a lot of trouble I'd be having a word with my divisional training officer if I were you and getting up to speed on what you can and can't do.
Last week I was out in Liverpool doing some street photography 2 bobbies had a look at me said hello and left me to it, they didn't ask what I was doing who I was. Was I Al Quaeda or a paedo, clearly they knew what the score was and that was that.

Now I'm not having a go at you but seriously guys from what I'm reading on here you need to get up to speed on the law relating to photographers and what you can and can't do. I'm one of the most pro Police people out there however I will not stand for over zealous, or poorly trained infringements on my human rights.
Ex PCSO

Big Brother
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by Big Brother » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:01 am

Big-Si wrote: OK, you don;t need permission to take peoples pictures (it may be good manners) but you don;t need their permission.

What recent case law? Please tell me and provide a link if possible?

I'm not saying you do meed permission, unfortunately the PNLD doesnt have examples of case law for this, however the wording has been changed for section 5 to include behaviour and not just words that cause harassment/alarm/distress and in the guidance they've added examples such as knocking bins over and peering through windows......
I've merely pointed that in a hypothetical situation of an officer recieving a complaint about a particular person's behaviour there exists a possibility that by asking that person to stop the officers are acting within the law.

As I said though, it depends on there being a specific complaint. I'd also say that taking pictures of adults in the street probably wouldn't qualify unless you were being particularly obnoxious.

xbob89
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by xbob89 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:32 pm

Fair enough BB...well presented.

I do go with Si tho that there appears to be a bit of confusion over all of this and I bet its not just PCSOs who are a little confused...

Amen!

Big Brother
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by Big Brother » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:02 am

There shouldn't be any confusion though.

Unless the officer has had a specific complaint about behaviour, the photogapher is stood there with his bits out whilst taking photos of kids, or he's sat outside AWF Aldermaston with cameras and maps and muttering things about stealing trident missiles they should just let them get on with it and walk past them.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic