ASB BTEC Qualifications

PCSO stuff ONLY: Burning issues, high profile questions or cases that have been highlighted in national or local news, let's talk about them IN HERE! A link to the item would be great where possible.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

MattyBurns

ASB BTEC Qualifications

Post by MattyBurns » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:00 pm

I have applied to become a PCSO with the MET but have seen this and was wondering if it was something worth while.

http[url]://www.communitysafetyskills.co.uk/btec/

What do you think :slwot:

Gforceuk
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: ASB BTEC Qualifications

Post by Gforceuk » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:39 pm

in a word.. no
PC

elcapitan
Executive Member
Executive Member
Class: 'Ogre'

Post by elcapitan » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:52 pm

Gforceuk wrote:in a word.. no
ditto
July 2007 - PC Day 1 Assessment
December 2007 - Failed PC Day 1 (by 1%)
September 2008 - PCSO Day 2 Passed
29 January 2009 - Training commences
16 March 2009 - ON THE BEAT!
January 2010 - Re-apply for PC...WooP WooP!

mj12cz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by mj12cz » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:45 pm

Nope...
"Its a mother beautiful bridge and its going to be there"

Save the cheer leader, save the world.....

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

overthinker1977
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by overthinker1977 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:34 pm

Hmm, here we go again.
Not wanting to be controversial for the sake of it but its possible it MIGHT be usefull. Have any of you guys attended this course?
The ASB Caseworker and Restorative Justice ones are probably the most relevent.
Supporter of Police
scum = criminals

GMPCSO
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by GMPCSO » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:04 pm

overthinker1977 wrote:Hmm, here we go again.
Not wanting to be controversial for the sake of it but its possible it MIGHT be usefull. Have any of you guys attended this course?
The ASB Caseworker and Restorative Justice ones are probably the most relevent.

Restorative Justice in relation to PCSO input could be fit into an hours input arranged by the division, and was part of the initial training (GMP) anyway.

The ASB caseworker can be visited at the local housing / OPU or wherever they are based on different divisions whilst you are on duty. As a part of dealing with ASB I used to see them a couple of days a week to work with them, any questions I had were always easily answered and I got a good knowledge of how they work as part of my daily duties.

I think you can learn everything you need whilst working with them as part of a daily routine and probably more than in a classroom. You remember your experiences (and learn from them) a lot better than being front loaded with information whilst being sat behind a desk.

Im sure the course will go more in depth about it all and could be a slight help on an application form as a qualification, but the police recruitment doesnt base it all on previous qualifications when they hire officers, nearly all is on assessment and interview. Some of the most "qualified" people for the job dont get through because of a poor performance on a single assessment day etc...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic