PCSO's "Can we use them more effectively ?"

PCSO stuff ONLY: Burning issues, high profile questions or cases that have been highlighted in national or local news, let's talk about them IN HERE! A link to the item would be great where possible.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

tonkertoy
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

PCSO's "Can we use them more effectively ?"

Post by tonkertoy » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:32 am

20 July 2010 Last updated at 09:18

Police spending cuts 'could hamper fight against crime'
Forces could save money by collaborating more, report says Big cuts to police budgets could harm the ability of forces in England and Wales to combat crime, the Chief Inspector of Constabulary has said.

[col]"A community support officer costs less than a fully trained police officer. Can we use them more effectively? How do you get the mix right? For example, taking a witness statement doesn't necessarily need a trained police officer to do it."[/col][/color]

Click on link for full story
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-10691052

PI & GI
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: PCSO's "Can we use them more effectively ?"

Post by PI & GI » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:19 pm

I agree
WHO LOVES YA BABY! (KOJAK)

steve999
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by steve999 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:23 pm

:slwo: I fully agree with this, PCSOs doing statements.

baronsmirnoff
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by baronsmirnoff » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:18 pm

Where as I am not against this by taking witness statements it takes us off the streets which is a core part of our being, if we start to do this and other things will we be used for to take us away from our role, the less visible we come the more reasons to get rid of PCSOs and replace us with PCs
DRINK WAS THE ANSWER BUT I FORGOT THE QUESTION

My spelling is good spelling but the letters sometime wobble and get in the wrong place - Winne The Pooh

PCSO Mickyboy
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by PCSO Mickyboy » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:00 pm

i agree to taking statements but i am not going to be called to every job to take a statement for a PC. I already do statements already for my crimes that come in as i have a crime que but i am no ones bitch.
Is now a PC

steve999
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by steve999 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:06 pm

:slwo: There is two sides to this. PCSOs on front line of policing and what they can do extra to help & Reducing PC labour costs by employing others to do part of the job at a cheaper rate of pay.

In an ideal world CC's would employ extra people to do some of the work that a PC does, at a cheaper rate of pay. The problem is that there is no money and there is going to be major cuts, so what will CCs do. They must use existing staff and get them to do extra work that makes a difference to every day policing or drop some of the work that is carried out now.

CCs are suggesting using PCSOs for statement taking, as this can be done by anyone. While a PCSO is taking the statement the PC can remain on the street, arrest a prisoner and then back out on to the street.

I can see my suggestion that I have harped on about coming to life........take a third of all PCSOs, retrain them and place them in custody for interviewing prisoners, CPS advice & preparing files. This allows the PC to drop off the prisoner and back out on the street dealing with the next problem. All files remain with the civilian and PCs can deal with the next job. PCs would be out on the Beat for 90+% of their time!!!!

Why have the most expensive Officer in custody tied up when CCs could employ others on cheaper labour costs.

Gualsa
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Gualsa » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:08 pm

Whatever task I am asked to undertake I will do to the best of my ability. Everytime I am given extra tasks my patrol time will suffer as this is the only thing I can cut down on. I cant stop doing CADs or get back to emails or turn down requests for school visits etc.
I dont really mind. We have recently been given the task to administer all Home Watch schemes on our area. This will save our constabulary money which may help keep other people in jobs.
The people at the top know best and if they dont know best they are still in charge and we got to just get on with it.

typecastboy
Gold Elite Legion
Gold Elite Legion
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by typecastboy » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:46 pm

This is the start to what I've been saying to you lot for months, "use what you've already got more effectively" Do you want to do more stuff? Take statements etc etc etc, don't get paid more though which I know most of you seem to be against. Is this what you want, or do you want to lose your job?

I hope this spreads like wildfire.
Nov 2008 - Day 2 Fitness/Medical - Passed
Jan 2009 - Start Training in Sidcup
Mar 2009 - On Borough

SINGLE PATROL IS THE WAY FORWARD

PI & GI
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by PI & GI » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:42 am

I firmly think that we should do some mg 11 ing, if needed to help our PC colleagues, this levels the work load a bit more and we are still ' high vis' as when we are on area even in someone's house we are in the community which we serve then we are classified as high vis, as we cannot be walking the same road in uniform 24 7! there seems to be some confusion over what is regarded as 'high vis' and the 80% of the time rubbish, I am a schools officer and i am high vis in the school even though not on foot patrol all shift.
WHO LOVES YA BABY! (KOJAK)

typecastboy
Gold Elite Legion
Gold Elite Legion
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by typecastboy » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:13 pm

PI & GI wrote:I firmly think that we should do some mg 11 ing, if needed to help our PC colleagues, this levels the work load a bit more and we are still ' high vis' as when we are on area even in someone's house we are in the community which we serve then we are classified as high vis, as we cannot be walking the same road in uniform 24 7! there seems to be some confusion over what is regarded as 'high vis' and the 80% of the time rubbish, I am a schools officer and i am high vis in the school even though not on foot patrol all shift.
As a Schools officer, do you spend your whole shift in the school? Do you parade first, then go? Do you have an office in the school? How does it work?
Nov 2008 - Day 2 Fitness/Medical - Passed
Jan 2009 - Start Training in Sidcup
Mar 2009 - On Borough

SINGLE PATROL IS THE WAY FORWARD

steve999
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by steve999 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:43 pm

:slwo: I didn't think PCSO could be school officers. All ours are PCs. Is this the cheaper option. Only asking.

baronsmirnoff
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by baronsmirnoff » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:12 pm

We have about 50-50 PC's and PCSOs in the schools, we had 3 PC's that were based in the worst 3 schools (1 in each) and depending what they had planed they would sometimes be at the school at the start of their shift and other times go to an SNT office or police station to book on and do some paperwork
Those that do not have 1 school to look after go to the schools office to book on then go to the schools of the day tryimg to visit each once a month
DRINK WAS THE ANSWER BUT I FORGOT THE QUESTION

My spelling is good spelling but the letters sometime wobble and get in the wrong place - Winne The Pooh

steve999
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by steve999 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:47 pm

The question is :PCSO's Can we use them more effectively?

By having school officers this has taken the responsibility away from the school, saved them money and they leave all incidents for the police to deal with. That is not what the local agreement says.....schools should deal with all incidents to & from school, as well as on their premises. The only cop-out is, if the parents are not happy with the way the school are dealing with it then they should go to the police. Guess what happens......school tells parents to contact police and they will deal. This is happeninng all the time and schools are not taking responsibility.

It is costing the police a fortune and others are saving money, due to police doing their work for them. It is called multi-agency work but only the Police do the work and the rest are invisible. That is my thoughts on it.

sorry about the rant, I feel better now :slgw:

spongebob
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by spongebob » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:39 pm

Yes we could be used more effectively, however I know for Met PCSOs there is no plans for us to get more powers, that's from the AC for TP, which as someone said to me earlier it could suggest that they don't want to pay the costs of training us when they may cut numbers after the Olympics

tnpmonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by tnpmonkey » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:23 pm

it all depends on what they want PCSOs to do.

If they want them in the neighbourhood teams, putting their mobile numbers out in the public domain and demand them to go to public meetings etc then they should not take statements other than to do with the reports they are dealing with. A good PCSO has more than enough to do.

Either they stick to neighbourhood officers OR

We do all the jobs the PCs hate, like statements etc. Buts lets not forget it will lead to the increase in absolute sugar crime reports because the PCs dont have to sort out the paperwork. And what happens when your half way through taking some statements and then,say a friday night, 10 crimes happen. Will it just be left to the PCSO who is on duty to be a slave, or would PCs still do their fair share?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic