police budgets will become increasingly stretched

PCSO stuff ONLY: Burning issues, high profile questions or cases that have been highlighted in national or local news, let's talk about them IN HERE! A link to the item would be great where possible.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

police budgets will become increasingly stretched

Post by falkor » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:15 pm

Public spending cuts could hit Worcestershire police
8:10am Tuesday 8th December 2009

By James Savage
THE head of local policing in south Worcestershire has said people can expect to see fewer police officers on the streets as inevitable cuts on public spending continue.
Chief Inspector Jerry Reakes-Williams made the comments as he faced questions at a Policing Matters meeting at Unity House, Stanley Road, Worcester.

Many members of the public at the meeting said they would like to see more fully warranted police officers patrolling the streets rather than community support officers. We previously reported in your Worcester News how CSOs have the powers but are are not trained to hand out fixed penalty notices as a means of enforcement.

Mr Reakes-Williams told the meeting the role of CSOs in south Worcestershire was to try and engage with younger members of the community rather than “criminalise” their behaviour.

And he warned people to expect to see even fewer police officers over the next few years as police budgets become increasingly stretched.

“With the state of public finances the reality is we are going to see less police rather than more,” he said.

“Whichever political party is in power is going to have some very difficult decisions to make.”

Mr Reakes-Williams said police in south Worcestershire would have to try and operate “smarter” rather than in larger numbers. He said: “I know people may like to see more police but my personal view is that we will see less.

“We have got to get smarter about what we do and make sure we have all our officers in the right place at the right time.

“It is not ideal but unfortunately, it is a reality.”

Mr Reakes-Williams’ predictions were supported by a recent govenment White Paper telling police forces in England and Wales to make annual savings of more than £500 million by 2014.

lookalikecop
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: police budgets will become increasingly stretched

Post by lookalikecop » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:23 pm

Does that mean not recuiting more officers and pcso's or letting go of some officers and pcso's???
Fully Trained On the Beat Fighting Crime

typecastboy
Gold Elite Legion
Gold Elite Legion
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by typecastboy » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:07 am

Oh how I'm glad I'm in the Met, I can't see a statement like that being made here.
Nov 2008 - Day 2 Fitness/Medical - Passed
Jan 2009 - Start Training in Sidcup
Mar 2009 - On Borough

SINGLE PATROL IS THE WAY FORWARD

PCSOTristan
Committee Member
Committee Member
Class: 'Night Summoner'
Alignment: 'Shadow'
Sacred: 'Ranger'

Post by PCSOTristan » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:52 am

typecastboy wrote:Oh how I'm glad I'm in the Met, I can't see a statement like that being made here.
The MET is in the worse situation then the rest of the UK, its got more to change and standardise then anyone else. Who will have to cut the most money from its budget? Who has the biggest force? Who has the most non standard equipment?

Could it be?

Marlon
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Marlon » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:21 pm

falkor wrote: THE head of local policing in south Worcestershire has said people can expect to see fewer police officers on the streets as inevitable cuts on public spending continue.

So much for the policing pledge.

overthinker1977
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by overthinker1977 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:17 pm

Time to get that plumbing training sorted then eh?
Supporter of Police
scum = criminals

PCSO Mickyboy
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by PCSO Mickyboy » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:36 pm

again, another force not giving there PCSOs the full powers which makes them not working to the full potential
Is now a PC

typecastboy
Gold Elite Legion
Gold Elite Legion
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by typecastboy » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:29 pm

God I can't believe how defeatist some of you lot are. All I ever seem to read about these days on here is how we are all doomed the dole queue.
Nov 2008 - Day 2 Fitness/Medical - Passed
Jan 2009 - Start Training in Sidcup
Mar 2009 - On Borough

SINGLE PATROL IS THE WAY FORWARD

Gforceuk
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Gforceuk » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:09 am

lookalikecop wrote:Does that mean not recuiting more officers and pcso's or letting go of some officers and pcso's???

You wont find police officers being let go.. natural wastage only if they do have to reduce numbers
PC

overthinker1977
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by overthinker1977 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:20 am

typecastboy wrote:God I can't believe how defeatist some of you lot are. All I ever seem to read about these days on here is how we are all doomed the dole queue.
Doomed!? I'm looking forward to it!! I wish I could retire. Naw, can't say I'm fussed one way or another. As long as there's food in my belly, roof over my head (even a plastic bag type roof), warmth and friends I couldn't give a rats....
Supporter of Police
scum = criminals

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic