A positive Daily Mail story

PCSO stuff ONLY: Burning issues, high profile questions or cases that have been highlighted in national or local news, let's talk about them IN HERE! A link to the item would be great where possible.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

Hysteria
Elite Member
Elite Member
Class: 'Night Summoner'
Alignment: 'Vampire'

A positive Daily Mail story

Post by Hysteria » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:27 am

Suspected thief ran three miles across fields and streams trying to escape PCSO... who loves cross-country running
By Daily Mail Reporter

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... nning.html
Last updated at 7:38 AM on 15th December 2009
Comments (84) Add to My Stories
No escape: Cross-country running PCSO Alex Brader chased the suspected thief for three miles before he was arrested
A suspected thief ran out of luck after trying for three miles to flee from an officer - who was a keen cross-country runner.
PCSO Alex Brader, 27, chased the man for half an hour across railway tracks, over fields, a stream and through woodlands as he desperately tried to escape.
[img]http://policecommunitysupportofficer.co ... Brader.jpg[/img] PCSO Alex Brader
But determined Alex kept him in sight and gave a constant stream of commentary on his police radio to coordinate his colleagues ahead and arrest him.
The officer was first alerted to a suspicious vehicle in an isolated spot in Peakirk, near Peterborough, Cambridgeshire, at around 1pm on December 3.
When he went to investigate he saw a 'large amount of copper piping' on the back seat of the vehicle and a man hiding in bushes behind a nearby fence.
The man then fled as PCSO Brader gave chase, jumping the 4ft fence and pursuing the suspect across fields and along a railway line.
The 30-minute chase continued into thick woods and over a stream before the suspect was apprehended by other officers who had come around the other way.
PCSO Brader, who is based at Werrington Station in Peterborough, described the three-mile cross-country run as 'quite comical really'.
He said: 'It was ridiculous as the suspect was wearing a really bright red top and was hiding in a bush that didn't have any leaves.
'I thought he might be dumping some evidence but when I told him to come out he just took off.
'I realised there was a four-foot fence in the hedgerow between us so I jumped it - it wasn't a difficult hurdle - and set off after him.
'I used to be pretty good at running so I didn't think twice about chasing after him, but I had no idea I would be running for half an hour.
'He crossed the road and took off across all the fields until he reached the railway line, and then he went haring off down it.
'I was worried running over the railway line but I couldn't let him escape.
'Then we came to a wooded area which was a nightmare as it was really uneven ground and I had to cross a stream.'
The divorced father-of-two, who became a PCSO in 2003, said he was a keen runner all the way through school and 'always entered cross country running' for sports day.
He said: 'I was pretty fast and used to do quite well. By the end I could do a mile and a half in nine minutes. But then I tore some ligaments in my knee.
'I still try to keep fit, though I haven't done any serious running for a little while because two years ago I had serious abdominal surgery.
'But I've started going to the gym at work now and hopefully I can start building things up again.'

Sergeant Alan Bradshaw of Cambridgeshire police praised PCSO Brader's determination in pursuing the alleged thief.
He said: 'The way PCSO Brader remained focused and showed such endurance while keeping other officers informed to make the arrest was brilliant.'
A 26-year-old man, from Peterborough, was arrested on suspicion of theft of a motor vehicle and receiving stolen goods.
He was bailed to return to Thorpe Wood Police Station in the city on December 16.

Weldone that Man
Last edited by falkor on Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: photo inserted by falkor (from Peterborough Today)

averagejoe90
Committee Member
Committee Member
Sacred: 'Dragoon'

Re: A positive Daily Mail story

Post by averagejoe90 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:14 pm

great stuff! :slsa:
AccountKiller

PI & GI
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by PI & GI » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:16 pm

TOP ONE, NICE ONE ! WELL DONE THAT MAN! ANOTHER GOOD PCSO STORY, WAS HE BTP? as I didnt think non BTP could go onto Railway tracks?
WHO LOVES YA BABY! (KOJAK)

crawford_2511
Official Member
Official Member

Post by crawford_2511 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:00 pm

that made me chuckle quite a bit!

tommy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by tommy » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:57 pm

PI & GI wrote:TOP ONE, NICE ONE ! WELL DONE THAT MAN! ANOTHER GOOD PCSO STORY, WAS HE BTP? as I didnt think non BTP could go onto Railway tracks?
But surely an officer/PCSO wouldn't think "Oh damn, they've gone on to a railway track ... i'll call the foot chase off". I'm sure there are times when this rule (which I know nothing about) doesn't apply lol.
*Any posts made by me are my personal opinion*

Big Brother
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Examiner: XIII

Post by Big Brother » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:08 pm

tommy wrote:
PI & GI wrote:TOP ONE, NICE ONE ! WELL DONE THAT MAN! ANOTHER GOOD PCSO STORY, WAS HE BTP? as I didnt think non BTP could go onto Railway tracks?
But surely an officer/PCSO wouldn't think "Oh damn, they've gone on to a railway track ... i'll call the foot chase off". I'm sure there are times when this rule (which I know nothing about) doesn't apply lol.

If it's a choice between letting some scrote get away with a relatively minor crime, or dying, I think I know which I'd choose. Running onto a live track is incredibly dangerous, especially if you're not near a station where trains might be slowing down.

Now most cops/PCSOs don't think "i'll call the chase off" and they carry on, I've done the same on several occasions. I've then reflected and realised how incredibly lucky I've been.
Big brother is watching you.

baronsmirnoff
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by baronsmirnoff » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:42 pm

On my Borough any time anyone says suspect gone on tracks IBO and section SGT say do not follow several time to make sure you get the message, I was doing a chase once and suspects climbed in to an electrical sub station I called in to say I'm not following as I walked away they came over the back wall and landed at our feet.

Maybe if we had full details from the PCSO to find out exactualy where he was
DRINK WAS THE ANSWER BUT I FORGOT THE QUESTION

My spelling is good spelling but the letters sometime wobble and get in the wrong place - Winne The Pooh

plum
Gold Committee Member
Gold Committee Member
Class: 'Undead Hunter'

Post by plum » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:48 pm

very well done that man , :slcup: :slcup: :slcup: :slcup: :slcup: :slcup: :slcup: :slcup:
If you choose to swim in the swamp with the crocodiles
You only have yourself to blame if you get bittern

mj12cz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by mj12cz » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:04 pm

Crikey thats good going, I did a simular thing after a fail to stop but was almost dead after 1/2 a mile!
"Its a mother beautiful bridge and its going to be there"

Save the cheer leader, save the world.....

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

PCSO Mickyboy
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by PCSO Mickyboy » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:23 pm

it was not a 3 mile one lol it was half that and the gent was found behind a pub in langtoft in Linc's by a Cambs officer with the help from a Linc's mobile.

But the tall lanky minger did a good job that day along with his Italian stallion ( My Colleague) who stayed with the Peugeot with the copper in the back. Annoying thing with that was i was also on route to that job but i went to assist an officer who just seized a 4x4 for poaching in the next village and wanted me to transport the 4 males to safety. I did return to the job and was told that he went off on one and is chasing him lol

oo well good job brader and see you tomorrow night at the Xmas do for a drink.

ohh before i go he brought every news paper that we buy on a daily basis because he was in it lol
Is now a PC

Headset 57
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Headset 57 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:16 pm

As regards to tracks, you DO NOT go on them.If either had been injured then a quick life changing and career ending PSD investigation would have pursued. Even we don't go on the tracks.
Also, don't supposed anybody PND'd the gut for trespass!.
Good result though i wouldn't have done a 1/4 of that distance...
'You can always find a Question for an Answer
But you can't always find an Answer for a Question'

typecastboy
Gold Elite Legion
Gold Elite Legion
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by typecastboy » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:26 am

Damn it, too many people commented on the railway bit before I managed to.
Nov 2008 - Day 2 Fitness/Medical - Passed
Jan 2009 - Start Training in Sidcup
Mar 2009 - On Borough

SINGLE PATROL IS THE WAY FORWARD

PCSOTristan
Committee Member
Committee Member
Class: 'Night Summoner'
Alignment: 'Shadow'
Sacred: 'Ranger'

Post by PCSOTristan » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:32 am

Hey guess what the Daily male called us fullly trained today in an article. Its said proper trained Police and community support officers. It also used the term plastic police man on someother form of council warden!

brilliant chase welldone that man

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Post by falkor » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:36 pm

too right
[img]http://policecommunitysupportofficer.co ... Brader.jpg[/img] PCSO Alex Brader
top bloke :slhi: I'd buy him a pint!!
Sergeant Alan Bradshaw of Cambridgeshire police praised PCSO Brader's determination in pursuing the alleged thief.
He said: 'The way PCSO Brader remained focused and showed such endurance while keeping other officers informed to make the arrest was brilliant.'
there you go, his skipper said it all :slwoot:

JCH
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by JCH » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:40 pm

Well done mate

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic