PCSO the new butler service

PCSO stuff ONLY: Burning issues, high profile questions or cases that have been highlighted in national or local news, let's talk about them IN HERE! A link to the item would be great where possible.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

jonny121
Committee Member
Committee Member
Examiner: XIII

PCSO the new butler service

Post by jonny121 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:50 pm

Earlier today I was out on foot on my way to a crime attendance. As I was walking past a house on the other side of the road I heard someone shout something.

I looked over to see a oldish woman waving me at. I crossed the road to see what she wanted. I notice her drive was bit icy and she said something like "i am housebound due to the snow." So there I was thinking she will probably ask me to pop out and get something for her (which I would of done if she asked politey and very nicely).
Then she said "make me a cup of coffee."
I was like :o "What, erm why? Why can't you not make it yourself?
She said "I will drop it."
I explained to her I was on my way to see somebody for a pre arranged appointment and maybe I could help later.
She said " well I might be dead later." The she slammed the door in my face.

The cheek of some people!
PCSO Nov 2007 - Feb 2010
PC Feb 2010...

PI & GI
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: PCSO the new butler service

Post by PI & GI » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:16 pm

she sounds like the 'batty' old biddies every neighbourhood has got, lol
WHO LOVES YA BABY! (KOJAK)

Arthur ASCII
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Arthur ASCII » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:40 pm

I'd have made her a nice cup of tea - it only takes five minutes to boil a kettle.

PCSO Mickyboy
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by PCSO Mickyboy » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:03 pm

thats not the point, he should of also massaged her feet whilst he was at it lol
Is now a PC

Big-Si
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Big-Si » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:43 pm

It might have been an idea to call in and check she's OK and made her a brew. So then you could have seen if she has food, heating etc in and is managing or needs help from social services / family
Ex PCSO

overthinker1977
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by overthinker1977 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:45 pm

Tsk tsk tsk... jonny121
Didn't you know it paragraph 12 subsection C of the Policing Pledge we area OBLIGED to make mrs.miggins cups of tea?! I shall be writing to your superiors forthwith!
Quality!

I think I might have done the same as you out of sheer shock and slight anger at the assumption of servitude. However, sometimes when I'm feeling wise and paitent I bite my lip and do as I'm bid.
Maybe something along the lines of "Well, I'm not your servant mrs.miggins but sure I'll make you a brew" followed by acme joke about how bad your brews are.

Unless you genuinly did have an appointment in which case you should have called your sarge and got him/her to do it!!! Obviously!

A post meeting check WOULD have done wonders I reckon but cest la vie.

Has she died?

Remember folks that oldies are exactly the same as us but they might look feeble and their minds might be a bit slower there is a mass wealth of life experience there. Except the really really batty ones.
Supporter of Police
scum = criminals

elcapitan
Executive Member
Executive Member
Class: 'Ogre'

Post by elcapitan » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:14 am

haha that made me chuckle!
July 2007 - PC Day 1 Assessment
December 2007 - Failed PC Day 1 (by 1%)
September 2008 - PCSO Day 2 Passed
29 January 2009 - Training commences
16 March 2009 - ON THE BEAT!
January 2010 - Re-apply for PC...WooP WooP!

averagejoe90
Committee Member
Committee Member
Sacred: 'Dragoon'

Post by averagejoe90 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:10 am

i would have said im currently responding to an incident and will pop round later, is your tea deprivation life threatening? i think not! go to bloody costa coffee :slna:
this kind of thing incites stupid 999 calls like i cant find my glasses, well that’s great someone maybe getting stabbed right now! :slrog: sorry bad morning :(
AccountKiller

jonny121
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by jonny121 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:56 am

I was genuinely on my way to an appointment. Part of me feels a bit guilty but another part of me thinks, yes we are there to help the community but I am not here to be someone's tea boy (i think it was the shock). She seemed perfectly mobile, probably more lonely. I will probably put my mind at ease my calling at her house later when I am on duty.
PCSO Nov 2007 - Feb 2010
PC Feb 2010...

mj12cz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by mj12cz » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:55 pm

overthinker1977 wrote:Tsk tsk tsk... jonny121
Didn't you know it paragraph 12 subsection C of the Policing Pledge we area OBLIGED to make mrs.miggins cups of tea?! I shall be writing to your superiors forthwith!
Quality!

I think I might have done the same as you out of sheer shock and slight anger at the assumption of servitude. However, sometimes when I'm feeling wise and paitent I bite my lip and do as I'm bid.
Maybe something along the lines of "Well, I'm not your servant mrs.miggins but sure I'll make you a brew" followed by acme joke about how bad your brews are.

Unless you genuinly did have an appointment in which case you should have called your sarge and got him/her to do it!!! Obviously!

A post meeting check WOULD have done wonders I reckon but cest la vie.

Has she died?

Remember folks that oldies are exactly the same as us but they might look feeble and their minds might be a bit slower there is a mass wealth of life experience there. Except the really really batty ones.

LOL :slcup:

Top answer... sorry but if she can walk to the door she can make a brew.

We and not butlers maids or any other waiter services.
"Its a mother beautiful bridge and its going to be there"

Save the cheer leader, save the world.....

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

JEA
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by JEA » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:44 am

Just for the record, I would NOT have done it either!! Cheeky mare!

jonny121
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by jonny121 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:56 am

I decided not to revisit the lady yesterday. At least most of you agree with me. I was talking about it to my colleagues and none of them would do it either, even the nicest and most generous one of my colleagues wouldn't do it either!
PCSO Nov 2007 - Feb 2010
PC Feb 2010...

miller
Official Member
Official Member
Class: 'Undead Hunter'

Post by miller » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:57 pm

jonny121 wrote:I decided not to revisit the lady yesterday. At least most of you agree with me. I was talking about it to my colleagues and none of them would do it either, even the nicest and most generous one of my colleagues wouldn't do it either!

I would have NOT made a brew for the lady, a few quick questions to see if see was ok and try to pop round at a later stage.

Then i would have reminded her about Op Liberal and stay out stranger, uniform or not.

PCSO's are there for the community but NOT!!!! to be abused and used like social services or help the aged, to protect and prove our worth to our forces we must remember our roles and ensure our community do as well

tnpmonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by tnpmonkey » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:04 am

i would have made a cup then downed it and gone, cheek of the woman! Next your have to give her a massage

Making tea is not in our role, full stop. If she can make it out her house to talk to you, she can certainly make it to the bloody kitchen, if she cant make tea, that is not a PCSOs fault, nor a job for them to do

overthinker1977
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by overthinker1977 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:00 pm

BUT doing it once, you can have a chat and she might turn out to have some grade A intel!
I did a crime revisit to some ole mrs.miggin's and she was shouting at me. I was getting annoyed but then when I got in the house she was still shouting...
It was just her way. She had some funny old tales like when she worked for a travelling circus as a stripper. Quality.
Supporter of Police
scum = criminals

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic