Police Federation

PCSO stuff ONLY: Burning issues, high profile questions or cases that have been highlighted in national or local news, let's talk about them IN HERE! A link to the item would be great where possible.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

tonkertoy
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Police Federation

Post by tonkertoy » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:11 pm

I have seen a document at work today from the Police Federation, stating that because Police Officer numbers are at record high and with the impending financial strain on Police Forces, that Police officer numbers will have to be cut to balance the books, and with Police Forces now recruiting more and more Civillians into the Policing Family, the Federation even say that new Civilian roles will need to be created and even give Powers of Arrest to certain Civillian roles to achieve Policing needs.

The Federation have also said that because with the cut of Police Officer numbers expected that they will be loosing out valuable subscriptions to the Federation in the region of about £16 per month for each Police Officer post being lost, this could result in tens of thousands of pounds the Federation could loose out on.

The Federation also state that they should represent Police Staff as well as Sworn Officers as they are best placed to represent all roles within the Police Service.

I have been wondering for a while now why the Federation appear to have gone quiet on bashing the role of PCSO's ? well we now know, the Federation have finally twigged that Civillians have a place in Policing and are valuable source of income for the Federation.

How about it would you like the Federation to represent you in the Future instead of all the different Unions out there, would the Federation do a good job ??

steve999
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Re: Police Federation

Post by steve999 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:40 pm

tonkertoy

Did you also read that from the 1st January 2010 police officers will be means tested if they are prosecuted at Crown Court. Federation stated that they will foot the bill but you never know what will happen in the future. If you are not with them, will your UNION defend you at Crown Court and pay your costs!!!.

Also, CC in local paper stating that he believes police officer numbers will be cut by 15% over the the next 3 - 5 years.
Does this mean PCSO numbers will rise by 15%.

PI & GI
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by PI & GI » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:48 pm

I ONLY SEE THIS 'NEWS' AS MORE ENFURIATING FOR THE ANTI-PCSO FED REPS ON AREA IF THIS IS GONNA HAPPEN, LOL
WHO LOVES YA BABY! (KOJAK)

typecastboy
Gold Elite Legion
Gold Elite Legion
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by typecastboy » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:40 pm

It does make sense really, as having separate unions just adds fuel to the fire that we are not "police", and before you all start yelling, yes I know some of you don't think we are police, so let's not go there, please :slra:
Nov 2008 - Day 2 Fitness/Medical - Passed
Jan 2009 - Start Training in Sidcup
Mar 2009 - On Borough

SINGLE PATROL IS THE WAY FORWARD

brianb
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by brianb » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:14 pm

I wouldn't call the Fed a union.

steve999
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by steve999 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:20 pm

All part of the FAMILY. Fed should look after all. Due to a change in 'means testing' at Crown Court will Unison pay all costs if a PCSO is prosecuted at court for work related matters?

typecastboy
Gold Elite Legion
Gold Elite Legion

Post by typecastboy » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:37 pm

brianb wrote:I wouldn't call the Fed a union.
Why not, that's what they are
Mar 2009 - On Borough

brianb
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by brianb » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:02 pm

Cos it's a staff association - not a union.

typecastboy
Gold Elite Legion
Gold Elite Legion

Post by typecastboy » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:04 pm

brianb wrote:Cos it's a staff association - not a union.
I disagree, don't forget not so long ago, they were threatening Police Officers would go on strike, that's what a trade union do.
Mar 2009 - On Borough

brianb
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by brianb » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:10 pm

We are banned from strike action, it is not an option.

Marlon
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Marlon » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:20 am

typecastboy wrote:
brianb wrote:Cos it's a staff association - not a union.
I disagree, don't forget not so long ago, they were threatening Police Officers would go on strike, that's what a trade union do.

From what I read, the Fed were threatening that they would ask for police officers to be given the right to go on strike; not to strike.

That, and working to rule.

In that respect I don't think the Fed could/should represent both police officers and police staff - as the two have different industrial rights.

PCSOTristan
Committee Member
Committee Member
Class: 'Night Summoner'
Alignment: 'Shadow'
Sacred: 'Ranger'

Post by PCSOTristan » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:02 am

tonkertoy wrote:I have seen a document at work today from the Police Federation, stating that because Police Officer numbers are at record high and with the impending financial strain on Police Forces, that Police officer numbers will have to be cut to balance the books, and with Police Forces now recruiting more and more Civillians into the Policing Family, the Federation even say that new Civilian roles will need to be created and even give Powers of Arrest to certain Civillian roles to achieve Policing needs.

The Federation have also said that because with the cut of Police Officer numbers expected that they will be loosing out valuable subscriptions to the Federation in the region of about £16 per month for each Police Officer post being lost, this could result in tens of thousands of pounds the Federation could loose out on.

The Federation also state that they should represent Police Staff as well as Sworn Officers as they are best placed to represent all roles within the Police Service.

I have been wondering for a while now why the Federation appear to have gone quiet on bashing the role of PCSO's ? well we now know, the Federation have finally twigged that Civillians have a place in Policing and are valuable source of income for the Federation.

How about it would you like the Federation to represent you in the Future instead of all the different Unions out there, would the Federation do a good job ??
The federation would make some money wouldnt they, have to wait and see, I would be interested to see how some staff would be able to strike where others were locked out would work.

Arthur ASCII
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Arthur ASCII » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:32 am

tonkertoy wrote:I have seen a document at work today from the Police Federation, stating that because Police Officer numbers are at record high and with the impending financial strain on Police Forces, that Police officer numbers will have to be cut to balance the books, and with Police Forces now recruiting more and more Civillians into the Policing Family, the Federation even say that new Civilian roles will need to be created and even give Powers of Arrest to certain Civillian roles to achieve Policing needs.

Where did you see this document? Was it in a publication, on-line or an email - please publish the source.

Typecastboy is wrong. Police Officers do not have a Union (the clue is in the word "Federation"), and cannot strike - a powerful tool of last resort.

In the current climate of cutbacks, would you trust the Fed to represent the interests of Police Staff, even when they conflict with those of Police Officers?

Turkeys voting for christmas again :slroll:

JEA
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by JEA » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:47 am

I for one would NOT trust the Fed to represent me. Not after the level of PCSO bashing that went on in the past. And especially since the change in policy seems to be directly linked to their own funding rather than my best interests or those of the organisation.

Although, I'd be interested to see how it pans out.... Would they be an advocate of PPE, greater and standard powers, better training and everything else we've been asking for? For all their faults, the Fed does listen to it's members and does seem to vehemently pursue their cause. (When was the last time you heard anything in the press from UNISON...?)

mj12cz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by mj12cz » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:03 am

brianb wrote:We are banned from strike action, it is not an option.

You are right its not a union as it has no union powers. It is just a staff association.

As most of you know I have no time for the Fed. I do not want them haveing a say in my role, Unison does a great job I say.
"Its a mother beautiful bridge and its going to be there"

Save the cheer leader, save the world.....

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic