PRAYING CAN CRACK CRIME

PCSO stuff ONLY: Burning issues, high profile questions or cases that have been highlighted in national or local news, let's talk about them IN HERE! A link to the item would be great where possible.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

tonkertoy
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

PRAYING CAN CRACK CRIME

Post by tonkertoy » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:45 pm

What do you think of this !!
I think Inspector Bartlett needs to wake up, it's not prayers that are Catching Criminals, Increasing Detection Rates etc.. It is down to the Hard Work & Dedication of the Officers at the Frontline doing the Job, that these Senior Officers have not done for Years !!

How prayer can crack crime

THE power of prayer has helped to catch criminals, increase detection rates and reduce the number of people killed on our roads, according to a senior Devon and Cornwall Police officer.
Inspector Roger Bartlett, a staff officer with 23 years' experience, said he was "convinced" that people's faith had a positive impact on policing. The committed Christian, part of the leadership team of the local Christian Policing Association (CPA), spoke out after a "dismissive" report of Home Office funding for CoAct, a national CPA project.
Insp Bartlett, 44, said he had seen "many direct answers to prayer in the workplace" from its positive impact on potentially violent incidents to reducing road deaths.
"For the past six years or so, I have reported to quarterly meetings of Christians from different churches in Barnstaple who want to pray for local policing issues," he said.
"I have seen a number of specific answers to their prayers – like the unprecedented Halloween night in the town when the police did not have to attend a single incident of disorder, or the prolific serial dwelling burglar who, after a significant series of offences, was apprehended in very unusual circumstances within three days of that group praying that he would trip up and be caught.
"In 2007, I asked the group to pray for the local detection rate, particularly in the Barnstaple sector, which was at about 26 per cent of total crime and one of the poorest in the force area and meant that justice, in too many cases, was not being done.
"Every quarter since that time, there has been an increase in that figure, despite reductions in the overall crime rate to the point that Barnstaple currently has a detection rate of just over 40 per cent of total crime, which is one of the highest in the country.
"Of course, that is down to some fantastic local policing, but the prayers I hear from Christians are for officers to be good at their job and implement practices that will lead to offenders being brought to account and victims seeing justice done. Clearly, many who do not have the faith I have would say that this is just coincidence, but the increase in that figure is so marked that it is indeed 'some coincidence'.
"From my experience, the more I pray, the more 'coincidences' I seem to see."
Insp Bartlett, who was responding to an article in the industry magazine Police Review, said "probably the most significant answer to prayer" he had experienced related to a fall in the number of serious road accidents in North Devon.
He explained: "I presented to the group a significant rise in northern Devon of the number of casualties killed or seriously injured on the roads and asked them to pray for this number to come down."
After the request, incidents fell from 97 in 2007/08 to 32 in 2008/09. "Not only was this a 67 per cent reduction on the previous year, and a far greater fall than any other area of the force, it was also more than 50 per cent lower than the next lowest annual figure locally (66).
"On this occasion, I am not sure we can make the same link between this reduction and 'good police work' as the figure is well beyond the control of even the best traffic officers that I know."
Assistant Chief Constable Paul Netherton stressed that the force was "diverse" and accepted people of all faiths. He said he believed that prayer did have a positive impact.
"Whether you believe in the power of prayer or not, the fundamental issue is that there are people out there caring about society," Mr Netherton said. "I am all for people caring for their society and that they value and are proud of their police service.
"It may be that someone is motivated because they are a Christian, but this is not about one faith. We are a diverse organisation that accepts everybody."

JEA
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: PRAYING CAN CRACK CRIME

Post by JEA » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:52 pm

It's not April is it???????

Hysteria
Elite Member
Elite Member
Class: 'Night Summoner'
Alignment: 'Vampire'

Post by Hysteria » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:01 am

hmmmm lets just do away with the police and send out vicars and priests ................

what a numptie :slroll:

typecastboy
Gold Elite Legion
Gold Elite Legion
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by typecastboy » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:19 pm

Ooohhhh please, maybe they will add knowledge of god to race and diversity, oh hang on, they already do!!! :slwoot:
Nov 2008 - Day 2 Fitness/Medical - Passed
Jan 2009 - Start Training in Sidcup
Mar 2009 - On Borough

SINGLE PATROL IS THE WAY FORWARD

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic