what are PCSOs worried about most in 2010?

PCSO stuff ONLY: Burning issues, high profile questions or cases that have been highlighted in national or local news, let's talk about them IN HERE! A link to the item would be great where possible.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

What is the NUMBER ONE issue for PCSOs in your opinion?

You may select 1 option

View results

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

what are PCSOs worried about most in 2010?

Post by falkor » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:48 pm

NOTE; this is a poll for the members of the site, it doesn't matter whether you are a PCSO or not, you are expressing your opinion as a member of the site

Big Brother
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Examiner: XIII

Re: what are PCSOs worried about most in 2010?

Post by Big Brother » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:15 am

I'm happy withy my powers, we've got them all. I'm happy with pay because it's a decent amount. I'm happy that Labour have said if they remain in power, so will we.

I'm not happy that the Tories may get in and f**k everything up like they did last time round. A Public sector worker voting for the Tories is like a Turkey voting for Christmas.
Big brother is watching you.

Marlon
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Marlon » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:25 am

Big Brother wrote:I'm happy withy my powers, we've got them all. I'm happy with pay because it's a decent amount. I'm happy that Labour have said if they remain in power, so will we.

I'm not happy that the Tories may get in and f**k everything up like they did last time round. A Public sector worker voting for the Tories is like a Turkey voting for Christmas.

A rather simplistic view IMO. No post-election Government can avoid making heavy cuts to the public sector budget.

Arthur ASCII
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Arthur ASCII » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:37 am

Marlon wrote:A rather simplistic view IMO. No post-election Government can avoid making heavy cuts to the public sector budget.
True, but where the axe falls should be dictated by common sense and not by political "crowd-pleasing"

Personally, I voted for the expansion of the role of PCSOs. Here in Northampton I'm taking part in a trial where some of us have been given extra training in statement taking. We are now taking witness statements to evidence incidents of ASB and keeping case files on repeat offenders/victims. We are already finding that victims are more confident that we are treating their complaints seriously, that statements carry much more weight than PNB entries and Intel logs (many of which are "weeded" from the system after a period of time) and that our Line Managers are able to progress cases to Court, issue harrassment warnings etc much quicker than previously.

steve999
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by steve999 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:04 am

Arthur ASCII

Personally, I voted for the expansion of the role of PCSOs. Here in Northampton I'm taking part in a trial where some of us have been given extra training in statement taking. We are now taking witness statements to evidence incidents of ASB and keeping case files on repeat offenders/victims.

:slwo: I am all for this and hopefully it will be run out in all areas. But I can see a lot of people not wanting this extra work. Some do not want change at all!!

ni9eofse7en
Rookie Member

Post by ni9eofse7en » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:20 am

Interesting that as I vote 57% of votes cast are worried about redundancies. It is true that Unison has asked the shadow home secretary to explain why he publically stated he would remove the role of PCSO's, and to the best of my knowledge, he passed the buck to someone else and that produced an inconclusive statement. The main positive we have is that of public perception, remove 16,000 officers from the street and your community will notice. Further remove Police Officers from their current duties to do all scene guards, waiting for boarders, all traffic duties etc and then expect them to walk the streets, well you know the common sense answer.

However, I would expect that as forces look to make savings in the light of budget shortfalls, they may well not replace staff as quickly or to the same levels we have seen in the last decade. Expect attrition to account for a chunk of savings each force has to make.

When it comes to election time, and I know it is your right to choose and this is just my opinion, Labour will be the best choice to preserve Public Services, the Conservatives will cut Public Services despite their cheesy grin posters about saving the NHS. And the Liberal Democrats, well I will give you an example of their actions in power. My local council is run as a Lib Dem and Tory alliance with the former holding more seats. In a recent council run poll the number one priority for the tax payer was the reduction of crime and ASB. Lesser priorities but noted were public transport, support for local businesses and support fro vulnerable adults and children. The latter gets an increase of £6.2 million budget, social services an additional £4.5 million, £29.4 million for road improvements, and the number one priority gets ...........

Wait for it....................

Spilt between the councils ASB Unit and burgalry initiatives..................

£800,000.

Now theres a council thats asks, but does not listen. Use your vote wisely.

PCSO Mickyboy
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by PCSO Mickyboy » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:11 pm

steve999 wrote:Arthur ASCII

Personally, I voted for the expansion of the role of PCSOs. Here in Northampton I'm taking part in a trial where some of us have been given extra training in statement taking. We are now taking witness statements to evidence incidents of ASB and keeping case files on repeat offenders/victims.

:slwo: I am all for this and hopefully it will be run out in all areas. But I can see a lot of people not wanting this extra work. Some do not want change at all!!

we have been doing that since the start but get ready when you start having crimes to look into etc etc etc
Is now a PC

sausage
Rookie Member

Post by sausage » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:19 pm

We could easily take on far more responsibilities.

We as PCSO's would get more job satisfaction and the taxpayers would get more value for their money.

I know a lot of fine hard-working PCSO's but the role as it is at the moment allows for lazy people to slip through the net - more training and structure within the role is needed for a better quality of PCSO.

Official Member
Official Member

Post by 7133 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:46 pm

I look at it this way -

I've been in a decent job since 2004 and in that time it's paid me very well. I've met some good people, had some strange experiences, and it's opened up a lot of opportunities for me. Not complaining at all.

As someone else said, most jobs are under threat these days, it's not just PCSO's. Whatever happens we've had a damn good run at it. Redundancies can often open up new doors that you never expected. If this happens it won't be for some considerable time and many of us will find ourselves in new positions within the police service anyway.

Why worry? I work with people who have been panicking for years ..practically since they joined the job. They flip out at any of the latest news/rumours and. lets face it, those things have always been going round. It must be a terrible strain.

Personally i really dislike these forums but i still get the emails for some reason. It's been a long time since i last came on here but seeing this compelled me to comment ..well actually the thing that prompted me to have a glance in the first place was watching that god awful 'Above Their Station' the other night.

Anyway, i'm rambling on now.

Carry on doing a fine job :slsm:
Krrrriiingggg. I believe this knife is yours!

plum
Gold Committee Member
Gold Committee Member
Class: 'Undead Hunter'

Post by plum » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:03 pm

sausage wrote:We could easily take on far more responsibilities.

We as PCSO's would get more job satisfaction and the taxpayers would get more value for their money.

I know a lot of fine hard-working PCSO's but the role as it is at the moment allows for lazy people to slip through the net - more training and structure within the role is needed for a better quality of PCSO.
Sausage so well said mate

It boils my blood to see P/CSOs who do not care, do as little as possible, need spoon feeding every little bit of Info,
Go out of their way to avoid any scrap of work

They are a drain on everyone

When more and more is being put on to the Community teams and cops are drowning in a sea of work and red tape
We are paying good ££££ for a small number of lazy beggers who will hide from taking any reasonably

Example

PCSO (A) has been in the job 2 years
He has been trained to put items into the property system as we all have
He is asked to enter an item into POFP by a cop as he is busy
What does he do, “said he’s not sure what to do”

So the cop sits him down and shows him

“”Just like everyone else on the team has done before over the last 2 years “

Why he’s lazy and doesn’t want to do anything

So he’s just left to please himself

I am not just saying its CSOs who are lazy I am sure the job has a number of useless
Cops

But as a PCSO I more aware when another PCSO is trying it on playing the game :slrnt:
If you choose to swim in the swamp with the crocodiles
You only have yourself to blame if you get bittern

Nick1973
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Nick1973 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:04 pm

The topic of budget cutbacks and redundancies loom large almost every other year it seems. I have been in my force since 2001 and our unit (Traffic Support Unit- TPCSO's) has had to deal with being resized, expanded, renamed and modernised (whatever that means).
We were initially the Traffic Warden Unit, there were 300 of us back in the 90s. Budgets didn't do for the majority of job-losses of officers though, it was decriminalisation...thus the local authority got their wish and took the revenue-oops i mean role, on.
We became TPCSOs in 2007 and our unit was reduced to 40 staff plus supervision. There was a policy of VER voluntary early retirement...a bit of a misnoma since the 'volunteers' were those deemed 'sick, lame or lazy', or plainly too close to retirement to avoid the dangling carrot of a pay-off plus pension....
There were some happy to disappear, mostly the lazy types and they took the carrot and left...thankfully. There is nothing more morale sapping than good, inspired officers seeing lazy, disinterested colleagues doing very little and earning the same crust.
Others were redeployed, within the force, often to roles of a lesser pay grade. Those that couldn't or wouldn't accept these unattractive offerings stayed...me included. But were subject to being moved geographically without explanation.
Now though it seems there is no way to avoid this issue. For too long the government has been ploughing funds into the public sector and something has to give.
This is not a pro or anti-political rant, since to my mind, there is little option for either political party in power.
The role is forever adapting to the requirements of the CC or Force.
I have seen my job go from mundane ticketing of traffic violations, the disrespect of the public (and even police staff) to controlling traffic at major football stadia, road policing alongside traffic officers, extra powers for monor road traffic offences, i have been offered the chance to train as a PNC operator (i am fully qualified) i am a trained ANPR operator, i am trained to carry out speed camera enforcement too. We have been trained to use/drive and provided with fully liveried police vehicles, motorcycles and ANPR vans.
We are now being given new smart-cars, with telescopic cameras designed to catch seatbelt/mobile phone offences etc
We have recently used CCTV cameras monitoring the local motorway network, assisting the comms officers with various jobs.
The role has gone off in a direction none of us envisaged, so there is always an alternative it seems, rather than purely sacking the lot of us!
I don't believe the hype that colleagues of mine are given about what ifs and what thens...(it always seems to be those involved with UNISON that seem to spread these tales, i myself am not a member)
Yes, if Labour remains in power (its a long-shot i agree) they will probably retain the role, but surely they will have to modify investment, budgets and cut staff numbers.
If the Tories get in, they have openly said they will review the role too. Their hands will be tied too. As far as I know (dont quote me on this) Home Office funding of the role ceases in 2011 and is then subject to review. There is an issue about Police Force chiefs having control over staff numbers too, rather than the government.
As far as im concerned, if you put alot into your role at work, try to make it as varied as possible and make yourself appear invaluable, you will stand a better chance than if you are in the job purely to get paid every month.
Add strings to your bow! I have and intend to keep doing so.

Big Brother
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Examiner: XIII

Post by Big Brother » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:35 pm

Marlon wrote:
Big Brother wrote:I'm happy withy my powers, we've got them all. I'm happy with pay because it's a decent amount. I'm happy that Labour have said if they remain in power, so will we.

A rather simplistic view IMO. No post-election Government can avoid making heavy cuts to the public sector budget.

Labour have guaranteed my job for at least another 3 years. The Tories haven't and won't. So they can sod off.
Big brother is watching you.

Catweazle
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Catweazle » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:11 pm

I think PCSOs need to have more powers (the power to stop and search and the power to issue instant fines for traffic offences such as using a mobile phone and parking on zig-zags). I think PCSOs should be allowed the option to carry CS gas and handcuffs (may never need them, but could be a life-saver on the single occasion you might). I also think that the possibility to sue the police should be outlawed. In addition, paperwork and Red Tape can and should be cut dramatically.

I've explained my views on Labour in another thread- so here I'll just add that the changes in our role that I support are extremely unlikely under a Labour government. The Tories, however would at least consider them...
I may not agree with what you have to say- but I'll defend to the death (well, almost) your right to say it.

May the Reasonable Force be with you !

Felony
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Felony » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:40 pm

The role...

I'm sick and tired of being used as a gofer. I don't actually do anything that's written in my job description anymore...
FELONY :: NO LONGER PART OF THE OF THE PCSO WORLD
[ATTENTION - DRY SARCASM MAY BE EXPERIENCED]

steve999
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by steve999 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:53 am

sausage wrote:We could easily take on far more responsibilities.

:slwo: Agree 100%. PCSO's have moved their job description to something that they want to do (I have said this on other threads) as they have seen the s--t that PC's do and they want to stay well away from that. Our PCSO's are not allowed to book property in, they do not take ASB statements. They do all the nice stuff...walk (sorry drive), talk, meet and reassure the public. They cannot be allocated crimes, as they don't have access to a crime list. They are well paid for doing this nice part of police work and do not want the extra work if they are given detention powers.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic